Why become a member? ×

What to replace my rig with?

BassBen

Hi Guys n girls,

I need to replace my trace elliot 4x10 1084 and peavey firebass 700 head, the size and weight is slowly getting to me.

I am thinking about changing over to a Ashown MAG-C115-300. Getting one second hand and changing the speaker to a 4ohm neodym speaker and finding a 2x10 cab for bigger venues.

Maybe something like this for the speaker?

[url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PAUSN15B&browsemode=category"]http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PAU...semode=category[/url]

Advise please?

Cheers,

Ben

Its the sound that matters not the weight. I went down the lighterweight route and just couldn't live with the compromise in the sound and went back to humping my Eden combo. I actually got around some of the weight issues with some planning and thought.

Sound, sound, sound!!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='636810' date='Oct 26 2009, 11:56 AM']Its the sound that matters not the weight. I went down the lighterweight route and just couldn't live with the compromise in the sound and went back to humping my Eden combo. I actually got around some of the weight issues with some planning and thought.

Sound, sound, sound!![/quote]

MB1. :)
+ Seven and Twelvety!

....Got any pictures of you Humping your Eden?... Bilbo!...Fnarr Fnarr! :rolleyes:

Edited by MB1

[quote name='BassBen' post='636791' date='Oct 26 2009, 11:18 AM']Hi Guys n girls,

I need to replace my trace elliot 4x10 1084 and peavey firebass 700 head, the size and weight is slowly getting to me.

I am thinking about changing over to a Ashown MAG-C115-300. Getting one second hand and changing the speaker to a 4ohm neodym speaker and finding a 2x10 cab for bigger venues.

Maybe something like this for the speaker?

[url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PAUSN15B&browsemode=category"]http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PAU...semode=category[/url]

Advise please?

Cheers,

Ben[/quote]
If you put a 4 ohm driver in that combo you won't be able to drive a second cab as you'll push the amp lower than it's min impedance and that will make Bad Things happen. I wouldbn't bother replacing the driver at all, just get a 2x10 cab to go with it if that's what you want to do :)

[quote name='Merton' post='636837' date='Oct 26 2009, 12:42 PM']If you put a 4 ohm driver in that combo you won't be able to drive a second cab as you'll push the amp lower than it's min impedance and that will make Bad Things happen. I wouldbn't bother replacing the driver at all, just get a 2x10 cab to go with it if that's what you want to do :)[/quote]

Thanks for that. So what ohms should the second cab be

Cheers?

[quote name='BassBen' post='636847' date='Oct 26 2009, 12:52 PM']Thanks for that. So what ohms should the second cab be

Cheers?[/quote]

Aim for 8 ohm in the combo and 8 ohm 2x10. Might be bet getting a seperate head and a pair of 2x10s though, modular innit. Or a pair of 8x10s, and seperate heads for them. Cause they've got wheels. I like those Firebass heads, trouble was finding cabs that could deal with it.

I have the same problem, the Trace 4x10 is a lump. However I love it and won't change it for anything. So, buy a small 2x10 for practice or whatever and just use the 4x10 for gigs etc. You can't replace cabinet volume, smaller, shallower cabs will not sound the same and you will not be satisfied. Using the 2x10 will be fine as you know you can plug the 4x10 in whenever you feel the need.

If you really want to splash out, buy a 2x10 combo (Hartke etc) part paid for by flogging the Peavey and use it all the time, with the 4x10 as an extension when needed.