Why become a member? ×

SOLD (subject to payment) Wechter 9400 Acoustic Bass Guitar

lozbass

For sale - a stupendously beautiful Wechter ABG. Wechter hand-builds in his Indiana shop for some of the world's most accomplished acoustic (and electric) players - McLoughlin, Helborg etc.

I got this bass in a cash plus cab deal (with 6stringbassist). It's too big for me and too beautiful to just have hanging around as an ornament (I only really play short-scale). I know the original commissioning purchaser of the bass and know its full history. The bass is less than three years old and in absolutely perfect condition - it comes with its TKL custom case (again, in excellent condition).

The bass started life as a fretless but was fretted by Martin at the Gallery (at the request of 6stringbassist) late last year. It's an unbelievable job, as you'd expect from Martin - the rosewood binding is absolutely untouched! The bass is currently strung with TI flats and the action is lower than most electric basses - in fact, it could use a quick tweak as there's a tiny bit of buzz at the first fret. The board is rosewood bound ebony on a (very slender and comfortable) walnut neck. The top is subtly figured solid spruce and features an abalone rosette. The back and sides are very highly figured curly maple with a brown cremona finish. The split saddle bridge is beautifully carved and appears to be end-capped with ebony. The custom electronics are by Fishman - the jack socket is integrated with the strap pin. Tone is just gorgeous - full, sophisticated and warm. Amplified, the bass offers a very passable upright sound with flats. With rounds, it's possible to achieve a much brighter, though still warm and full tone (I've used the bass through an Epi ul502 with a ul112 - absolutely lush!)

I have around £1000 in this bass and don't want to take a big hit - I will sell at £950 but this is a firm price (and frankly, an absolute bargain for a hand-built instrument of such quality). The 9400 model is priced at $4800 in the US, including the Fishman custom pickup (fitted by Wechter from new). It would cost at least £3400 to get a bass like this into the UK.

Check Talkbass etc. for thoughts on these - amongst the most (if not the most) revered and spectacular ABGs around. You can also check-out the Wechter site at:

[url="http://www.wechterguitars.com/customs/9400_bass"]http://www.wechterguitars.com/customs/9400_bass[/url]

Collection in Manchester is highly preferable given the size of the bass and case, but I can ship if necessary. Professional packing will be necessary as I don't have a carton of sufficient size. I can ship to most parts of Europe and the US (with insurance and at the buyers cost of course). I can also deliver to London (Euston) but dates are limited.

I'm more than happy to discuss details with any prospective buyers - just PM me and we can arrange a conversation

(Edit for further details)

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='BassBod' post='635187' date='Oct 24 2009, 11:36 AM'][attachment=35047:DSCN0617.JPG]

OOeerr....Mo Clifton fretless shorty?? Not quite an Alembic, but lovely short and very light.[/quote]
Oh my word, that is gorgeous! It's probably a good thing I can't play fretless (several expensive attempts in the past 25 years and now I'm sure). Thanks for the offer though (and it's lovely to see a Clifton)

[quote name='lozbass' post='634924' date='Oct 23 2009, 09:34 PM']For sale - a stupendously beautiful Wechter ABG. Wechter hand-builds in his Indiana shop for some of the world's most accomplished acoustic (and electric) players - McLoughlin, Helborg etc.

I got this bass in a cash plus cab deal (with 6stringbassist). It's too big for me and too beautiful to just have hanging around as an ornament (I only really play short-scale). I know the original commissioning purchaser of the bass and know its full history. The bass is less than three years old and in absolutely perfect condition - it comes with its TKL custom case (again, in excellent condition).

The bass started life as a fretless but was fretted by Martin at the Gallery (at the request of 6stringbassist) late last year. It's an unbelievable job, as you'd expect from Martin - the rosewood binding is absolutely untouched! The bass is currently strung with TI flats and the action is lower than most electric basses - in fact, it could use a quick tweak as there's a tiny bit of buzz at the first fret. The board is rosewood bound ebony on a (very slender and comfortable) walnut neck. The top is subtly figured solid spruce and features an abalone rosette. The back and sides are very highly figured curly maple with a brown cremona finish. The split saddle bridge is beautifully carved and appears to be end-capped with ebony. The custom electronics are by Fishman - the jack socket is integrated with the strap pin. Tone is just gorgeous - full, sophisticated and warm. Amplified, the bass offers a very passable upright sound with flats. With rounds, it's possible to achieve a much brighter, though still warm and full tone (I've used the bass through an Epi ul502 with a ul112 - absolutely lush!)

I have around £1000 in this bass and don't want to take a big hit - I will sell at £950 but this is a firm price (and frankly, an absolute bargain for a hand-built instrument of such quality). The 9400 model is priced at $4800 in the US, including the Fishman custom pickup (fitted by Wechter from new). It would cost at least £3400 to get a bass like this into the UK.

Check Talkbass etc. for thoughts on these - amongst the most (if not the most) revered and spectacular ABGs around. You can also check-out the Wechter site at:

[url="http://www.wechterguitars.com/customs/9400_bass"]http://www.wechterguitars.com/customs/9400_bass[/url]

Collection in Manchester is highly preferable given the size of the bass and case, but I can ship if necessary. Professional packing will be necessary as I don't have a carton of sufficient size. I can ship to most parts of Europe and the US (with insurance and at the buyers cost of course). I can also deliver to London (Euston) but dates are limited.

I'm more than happy to discuss details with any prospective buyers - just PM me and we can arrange a conversation

(Edit for further details)[/quote]

Hi

How wide is the body at the widest point and how deep is the body at the deepest point?

I am definately interested in this instrument. Are you ok with shipping to Ireland?

I get stuff sent here from the gallery in London all the time. Courier charge for a guitar is usually 40-50 pounds

Cheers
Paul

I'll get the measurements later - shipping to Ireland is no problem (but I'll need to factor in packing as I don't have a carton of sufficient size)

[quote name='paulie' post='637208' date='Oct 26 2009, 07:08 PM']Hi

How wide is the body at the widest point and how deep is the body at the deepest point?

I am definately interested in this instrument. Are you ok with shipping to Ireland?

I get stuff sent here from the gallery in London all the time. Courier charge for a guitar is usually 40-50 pounds

Cheers
Paul[/quote]

[quote name='Labanlaban30' post='643844' date='Nov 2 2009, 08:50 PM']Hey!

Is it really over is it payed and shipped? Been looking for a wechter for 15 years!

L[/quote]

Thanks for this - the bass is provisionally sold: I'm waiting for payment but very confident that it will be forthcoming. There was another Wechter for sale on ebay around 4 months ago. It's the sister of the bass I was selling and is also in the North West. If I can find the seller's number, I'll PM it to you