Why become a member? ×

G&L Tribute L-2000 Vs Sterling by MusicMan Ray

KASH

Yes, they're both really nice instruments. If anything, the G&L is more flexible in terms of the sounds it can create, but if I had to choose one, it'd be the Ray 34. Having had both, I just like the top end clarity of the Ray better. But I've always liked punchy hifi-sounding basses. As for build quality, there's really not much in it. Both are excellent quality instruments. Top notch Indonesian made stuff, the same sort of quality as you get on the Lakland Skylines.

I think we've agreed that they're both very close in terms of spec (apart from the 3-band eq on the Sterling) and quality. Just comes down to which one you like best.

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='631448' date='Oct 20 2009, 03:58 PM']Yes, they're both really nice instruments. If anything, the G&L is more flexible in terms of the sounds it can create, but if I had to choose one, it'd be the Ray 34. Having had both, I just like the top end clarity of the Ray better. But I've always liked punchy hifi-sounding basses. As for build quality, there's really not much in it. Both are excellent quality instruments. Top notch Indonesian made stuff, the same sort of quality as you get on the Lakland Skylines.

I think we've agreed that they're both very close in terms of spec (apart from the 3-band eq on the Sterling) and quality. Just comes down to which one you like best.

Rich.[/quote]

I'm aware of the similarities and I'm tempted by both, in terms of sound, which one would give me more earth-shaking bottom end? :)

Playing hard rock/ 80's heavy rock/metal kind of thing...with fingers

EDIT: also have my eyes on the Spector Legend

Edited by KASH

Hmmm... For the type of playing you're suggesting, I'd say the Sterling just pips the G&L, but then again I always played mine on parallel. Put it into series mode and you're really shattering the Earth's core! Again, both will do the job admirably. Whack up the bass control on the basses and you're away. Women's underwear will automatically vapourize as you play, LOL! :)

Another to consider for that sort of sound is a Warwick Corvette $$. Same sort of concept. I loved the original one I had. Amazing sounding bass!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='631466' date='Oct 20 2009, 04:13 PM']Another to consider for that sort of sound is a Warwick Corvette $$. Same sort of concept. I loved the original one I had. Amazing sounding bass![/quote]

The $$ is out of my budget unfortunately...I would really like to try them both, A-B them if possible but that's almost impossible, also, any thoughts on the Specor Legend, the custom one? Is it worth putting down on the list?

I havent played a Sterling by music man ray but I do have a us ray and a us stirling, and comparing to the G&l 2000 trib I think the g&L is more versatile.

2 pickups, individually switchable, or both, monster eq, treble boost, passive/series /parrallel switching.

You may want to factor in the different neck profile, the g@l is a bit fatter than the ray.

Edited by bumnote

I am currently looking at both too. I think the Ray34 is getting the nod though because it has the p/up in "that" position and has both boost and cut in the preamp, plus mid range control. My P/P has the p/ups in the same position as the G&L and they do sound very similar.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='KASH' post='632118' date='Oct 21 2009, 08:40 AM']The $$ is out of my budget unfortunately...I would really like to try them both, A-B them if possible but that's almost impossible, also, any thoughts on the Specor Legend, the custom one? Is it worth putting down on the list?[/quote]

The new Warwick Rockbasses are now out and are visually identical to the German made ones - made somewhere else and no horrible 'RockBass' on the headstock- but they haven't made it to the UK yet as far as I know.

They're getting good reviews from USA users on the Warwick forum [url="http://forum.warwick.de/17-warwick-rockbasses/9875-just-played-rb-5-string.html"]here[/url] and pictures and details of the Corvette $$ are [url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?submenuID=17072&katID=22911&cl=EN"]here[/url]. (Their images are all 'dynamic' so I can't post a picture from Warwick's web-site here. Sorry.)

Edited by ColinB

[quote name='ColinB' post='651734' date='Nov 11 2009, 04:17 PM']The new Warwick Rockbasses are now out and are visually identical to the German made ones - made somewhere else and no horrible 'RockBass' on the headstock- but they haven't made it to the UK yet as far as I know.

They're getting good reviews on the Warwick forum [url="http://forum.warwick.de/17-warwick-rockbasses/9875-just-played-rb-5-string.html"]here[/url] and pictures and details of the Corvette $$ are [url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?submenuID=17072&katID=22911&cl=EN"]here[/url]. (Their images are all 'dynamic' so I can't post a picture from Warwick's web-site here. Sorry.)[/quote]

yes, already seen the rockbass $$...now that's a stunner :) another one for my gas shortlist?...if they're in the same price range of the 3 mentioned above, hell yeah!

[quote name='KASH' post='651744' date='Nov 11 2009, 04:23 PM']yes, already seen the rockbass $$...now that's a stunner :) another one for my gas shortlist?...if they're in the same price range of the 3 mentioned above, hell yeah![/quote]

$700 in the USA. The new Rockbass pricelist is [url="http://www.warwick.de/media/prices/Rockbass_D_A.pdf"]here[/url], but it's in Euros - and the Euro is strong against the pound compared to the dollar at the moment.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='631466' date='Oct 20 2009, 03:13 PM']Hmmm... For the type of playing you're suggesting, I'd say the Sterling just pips the G&L, but then again I always played mine on parallel. Put it into series mode and you're really shattering the Earth's core! Again, both will do the job admirably. Whack up the bass control on the basses and you're away. Women's underwear will automatically vapourize as you play, LOL! :)

Another to consider for that sort of sound is a Warwick Corvette $$. Same sort of concept. I loved the original one I had. Amazing sounding bass![/quote]

Wow! I have a G&L and also a Stingray. Does this mean I'll be able to undress women at a distance!?

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest difference is that the L2000 has two pickups (bridge - fast top end attack) (neck - low woof less attack) (both - more woof and attack) compared to the slightly more mid voiced position of the muscicman pickup.
Bear in mind that the musicman pre boosts the top end a lot, even when the tone controls are set flat. The G+L gives you the choice passive, active or treble boost.
You've got more choice with the musicman eq (boost and cut)