Why become a member? ×

Show Us Your Rig

acidbass

A few changes to report on the rig front - still got my GK1001RBII head, I've added a Korg DTR1000 tuner and stuck it all in an SKB 4U shallow rack unit. The blanking plate is there to hide the gap needed because the head's fan is on the top of the amp.

On Sunday, I picked up the cab - a Schroeder 410R from Andyonbass but haven't gigged it yet. First impressions after my Epifani UL310 are...bloody hell it's heavy and f. me it's heavy. I can't remember if it's 1400 watts or 1400 kgs but - it sounds nice at room level and by all reports should sound marvellous live.

Edited by niceguyhomer

Nice rig Homer, cant wait to hear it live.

Heres my new rig, same head GK1001RB II I've had this now for around a year and am very happy with it. Mounted in a 4U flightcase which Im planning on sticking in a compressor at some point. And the new cab (cheers Alan) and Epifani UL310

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='30251' date='Jul 11 2007, 01:14 PM']A few changes to report on the rig front - still got my GK1001RBII head, I've added a Korg DTR1000 tuner and stuck it all in an SKB 4U shallow rack unit. The blanking plate is there to hide the gap needed because the head's fan is on the top of the amp.
On Sunday, I picked up the cab - a Schroeder 410R from Andyonbass but haven't gigged it yet. First impressions after my Epifani UL310 are...bloody hell it's heavy and f. me it's heavy. I can't remember if it's 1400 watts or 1400 kgs but - it sounds nice at room level and by all reports should sound marvellous live.[/quote]
Can I be nosey and ask why you've changed cabs please? Aren't Epifani's sposed to be the dogs dangleys? I can't keep up! :)

[quote name='mikeh' post='30379' date='Jul 11 2007, 06:17 PM']Heres my new rig, same head GK1001RB II I've had this now for around a year and am very happy with it. Mounted in a 4U flightcase which Im planning on sticking in a compressor at some point. And the new cab (cheers Alan) and Epifani UL310

[/quote]

Not considered rack mounting your AKG? I used to have one, I mounted it on the right hand side, and didn't cause any problems with the fan on the GK.

[quote name='RussFM' post='30556' date='Jul 12 2007, 07:34 AM']Not considered rack mounting your AKG? I used to have one, I mounted it on the right hand side, and didn't cause any problems with the fan on the GK.[/quote]

Hi Russ, I need a new compressor and wondered about buying a half rack unit (Presonus Blue Max) to mount on the right of my rack unit (see above) cos I'm pretty sure it won't reach the fan but are you sure that a half width space is enough not to cause problems?

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='30576' date='Jul 12 2007, 09:32 AM']Hi Russ, I need a new compressor and wondered about buying a half rack unit (Presonus Blue Max) to mount on the right of my rack unit (see above) cos I'm pretty sure it won't reach the fan but are you sure that a half width space is enough not to cause problems?[/quote]

If you do get the half rack comp. I'd be very interested to hear how you get on. I've a half space next to my wireless above my tuner and (soon to be) Mark bass amp. Needs filling and a dedicated comp. is something I'd actually find useful. Certainly worth a trip over the hiils to watch you using it.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='30656' date='Jul 12 2007, 12:02 PM']Must get to another of your gigs Dave - Wayne58's gonna come with me.[/quote]

With any luck - my new rig (the rack at least , may be using generic cabs) will be in evidence at the Clarence Park Festival here in Wakefield on Sun 22nd July. We're doing a 40 min slot at 7.45 pm with our ZZ trib band 'Eliminator'

All welcome - I'm the one in a ridiculous long beard fighting the Explorer!!!

Here's my recording rig - just come back from being restored by [url="http://www.stevesamps.co.uk/"]Steve Rowse[/url] after I had it shipped over from the US.
It's a virtually mint 1965 Ampeg B-15Na 'Portaflex'. Incredibly rare in the UK - the absolute dog's bollocks of bass amps.
With a valve sound so sweet it brings tears to my eyes...!
Too rare, valuable & delicate to gig (& not really loud enough for live) - but in the studio this is without equal...which is why they've been used on countless great LPs over the last 40 years.
Enjoy.
:)

[attachment=1172:1965_amp...na_front.jpg]

[quote name='The Funk' post='31438' date='Jul 13 2007, 05:44 PM']Bloody hell! Would you consider lending / renting that out for recording sessions?[/quote]

Sorry - no.

It's taken me a long time to find one as good as this one, then ship it from Seattle, get it converted to UK voltage & then carefully restored back to original spec. I have a full flight case on order - but I could never replace it if it was badly damaged. It's just not built to stand up to being bounced about in the back of a transit van.
And the whole hassle of origanising collection/delivery/return...? It's just not worth the grief or the worry.

But I think some of the bigger professional London hire companies (Audiohire?) do have them available for hire (probably the 70's ones - you need to check) - the day rate is probably £40-50.

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='The Funk' post='31494' date='Jul 13 2007, 07:03 PM']Thanks for the info. You'll have to let us know when you have some recordings of that. I bet it sounds amazing.[/quote]

The tone that comes out of it is jaw-dropping...
I'll be close miking it with an Electro-Voice RE27 (got a bargain one from eBay off a guy in Canada for £250 - they're £1K new in the UK), with the the signal from the bass also DI'd through an Avalon U5 - or maybe a REDDI (but only if I can face paying nearly £600 for a DI box). I'm just looking to get my studio sound very sorted before we record the LP later in the year...

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='30777' date='Jul 12 2007, 04:00 PM']With any luck - my new rig (the rack at least , may be using generic cabs) will be in evidence at the Clarence Park Festival here in Wakefield on Sun 22nd July. We're doing a 40 min slot at 7.45 pm with our ZZ trib band 'Eliminator'

All welcome - I'm the one in a ridiculous long beard fighting the Explorer!!![/quote]

what is your new rig to be , Dave?

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='31662' date='Jul 14 2007, 07:38 AM']what is your new rig to be , Dave?[/quote]

Ashdown cab wise ,out goes the mini 48 to be replaced by a just aquired 2x10 compact paired with the existing compact 15.

In the 4u ABS rack in my kitchen sits the Audio Technica wireless reciever - awaiting installation of my existing Korg tuner and the Mark Bass old style Little Mark I just bought here.

The GK 400RB head will live in a 2u rackbag and stay home with the mini 48 for small gigs, maybe paired with the compact 15 again if they're not that small.
I'll tune with the Korg AX300b multi FX with this rig and use a couple of the patches.

I'm looking at half rack multi FX to fill the gap in the 4u.

The big GK 1001rb head get's sold.

It's really a variation of the 2 rig system I almost had completed when some theiving pikey scum relieved me of it.(that was Hartke 3500/korg tuner(the one you sold me!)/zoom FX -racked- and the huge Ashdown 15+2x10 cab) 'B' rig had to be adapted and pressed into service for everything. (the 400RB,tuner,compact 15 and mini 48). It's been so good it's taken the bigger gigs we're doing now with the trib band to feel the need for change.

Pics will be forthcoming !!!!

This is my little lot.

Yamaha BBT500H (bloody love that amp)
Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro (think it sounds great for the price of it)
Peavey 410TX and 210TX (great for the money, takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!)

Peavey Minx 110
Line 6 Bass Pod Live XT
Dean Performer Acoustic (all my bedroom practice-gear)