Why become a member? ×

To stack or not to stack...

razze06

I need a piece of advice please.

I have recently acquire an ampeg b410hlf cab, to go with my marshall 1x15 into my peavey head. I like the sound and all, by my problem is with the stacking of the cabs. First of all the sizes don't match, so i can't put the 4x10 on the 1x15 (the marshall is rather tall and narrow) without risking a collapse. I have them stacked like that at home, and the rubber feet of the ampeg can't sit properly on the 1x15. Second, most of the gigs we play are in places where there is no raised stage, such as function rooms and sport clubs. I have put the cabs on the ground next to each other, but I feel that my sound gets lost against the people dancing in front of the band, especially the low end.

So what should i do? Should i put the 4x10 on the bottom with the 1x15 on the top? Should I stop worrying and keep both cabs next to each otheron the floor? Should i put them next to each other, but on a raised platform of some kind? Any advice will be appreciated.

Oh, buying a matching ampeg 1x15 cab is not an option now :)

I attach the picture of what the cabs look like when they're on the ground,
[attachment=34802:BigRig_001.jpg]

and when they are (precariously) stacked
[attachment=34803:BigRig_004.jpg]

Put whichever you prefer the midrange/treble of on top, and just add some thicker feet or a wooden spacer (a plank!) to stop the wobble. Stacking is much better than side-by-side because you reduce reflections off the ceiling and floor, improve dispersion left to right, and get a more accurate picture of your tone to your ears (rather than to your knees). If you acquire a more powerful head bear in mind that the Marshall will start distorting in the lows long before the 410HLF does, so if you have it on the bottom of the stack you'll be at greater risk of blowing it (because you won't be able to hear it complaining). With your current amp you should be pretty safe.

Alex

Tom's right, that's really tall - I second the suggestion of turning the Marshall on its side before stacking the Ampeg on top, unless that really doesn't sound right to you.

Alex

P.S. If you need some feet I have quite a few* here which I could send for the cost of the postage.

* Understatement of the year...

Thank you all, great advice all-round.

The problem is essentially that our next gig is an halloween affair at a rugby club, i wouldn't want anyone drunkenly leaning on my stack, toppling it on some unsuspecting punter, or even worse, on more kit, with the resulting injuries and trouble that comes with it. No amount of rubber feet, planks or anything else will stop anyone who wants to topple the stack, but maybe I can prevent accidental damage...

So first of all i'll try turning the marshall on its side, and see if the ampeg fits better on the top of it, with or without feet. I suppose the fact that the huge port will now be on the bottom will not affect the sound of the marshall...If that doesn't work, i'll try repositioning the feet of the ampeg closer together.

I think the head is rated at 210 watts into 4 ohms, and the marshall was distorting quite a bit when it had to take the full load. With both cabs, i usually run the head at around half volume and gain, and get the desired volume with little or no distorsion (to my ears).

Incidentally, can anyone identify the model of the marshall cab? I think it's a 1555, but the plaque at the back is worn has been painted over, so I can't read it :)

[quote name='razze06' post='631218' date='Oct 20 2009, 11:34 AM']i wouldn't want anyone drunkenly leaning on my stack, toppling it on some unsuspecting punter, or even worse, on more kit, <snip>[/quote]
Good to see you've got your priorities right! :)

[quote name='razze06' post='631218' date='Oct 20 2009, 11:34 AM']The problem is essentially that our next gig is an halloween affair at a rugby club, i wouldn't want anyone drunkenly leaning on my stack, toppling it on some unsuspecting punter, or even worse, on more kit <snippity-snip>[/quote]

[quote name='OldGit' post='631246' date='Oct 20 2009, 12:02 PM']Put them both on their sides and the head on top of the pile. Add side feet as required, or a thick layer of foam[/quote]
Sounds like sound advice for kit [i]and[/i] Halloween party patrons :)