Why become a member? ×

Caved in to the Jazz Bass GAS

TheDaivisch

Right, I've decided I'm going to stop pretending I don't like Fenders and go get a Jazz bass. I'm thinking a Mexican deluxe or preferably a 60's reissue.

Who has experience with a mexican deluxe? Are the pickups/preamps decent?

Does anyone have any experience of the Mexican 60's Jazz bass?

The bass in this clip sounds and looks AWESOME

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMKj_4DtlQs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMKj_4DtlQs[/url]

Edited by TheDaivisch

Hey mate :)

Loads of people are saying the Squier Classic Vibe's are great basses, 60's style Jazzes.

Also don't rule out Japanese models if you're after a reissue, I think American Standards are great, but the American RI's are a little overpriced.
I've got a Squier Deluxe 5, and it's fantastic for the price, the American Deluxes are marmite I think (didn't like the one I had), the Mexican Deluxes have same electronics as the US models but normal size body and lesser hardware etc. Never tried MIM RI's though.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='625761' date='Oct 14 2009, 09:50 AM']Hey mate :)

Loads of people are saying the Squier Classic Vibe's are great basses, 60's style Jazzes.

Also don't rule out Japanese models if you're after a reissue, I think American Standards are great, but the American RI's are a little overpriced.

Si[/quote]

Bloody hell that was quick. You spend far too much time on here :rolleyes:

I don't think I can justify a US model, after having bought the G&L 5er and the Corvette $$ in the last few months!

+1 to the Classic Vibe / Vintage Modified Jazzes.

I don't think there's been a bad word said against them in comparison to Fender MIMs. They are well made and are decent instruments.

Unfortunately they don't do the CV Jazz left handed but as soon as i can scrimp enough together i'm going to get myself a VM Jazz.

The one i played was unbeatable for the price - certainly better than the dodgy MIM 2009 Jazz i had which was almost twice the price of the Squier

Went through the jazz basses recently myself and here are my thoughts.

Mexican Deluxe Active: Pretty good, EQ has not been great in the ones I have played and the construction quality varied.
Mexican Reissue: If you are refurring to the new block inlay basses, I thought They were pretty good. Fit an finish on the two I played were good and the sound was pretty good as well, but I would have a new set of pickups put in for the small extra investment needed.

I would say if you want a good Jazz hunt around secondhand and try the Japanese built basses. I settled on a 60s Reissue CIJ Jazz matching white headstock bound with no blocks etc, and it is superb in every way. I bought it blind without playing it after trying a Geddy Lee Jazz. Not the same bass obviously but I knew the quality would be there. Actually Might be selling my Jap Jazz soon but only as something extra extra special has come along.

I have a MIM jazz deluxe and I love it. Had to change the bridge though that was awful. I put on a Gotoh 201 as it was half the price of a Badass II and easier to get hold of.

Pick ups are good, I don't often dial in tones but when I've had a play around while practising I like the mid boost for growl.

Used it in quite a few differnt types of bands and sounded good in all situations so far.

I would say you need to try as many as possible though as the shop I got it from said they aren't all good and I guess it depends on your expectations and what you are previouly used to; I love it but I went from my old beat up BC Rich Warlock and a 80s Washburn and now I can't put it down, but it might be a bit of a step down if you have used some high end bases.

Oh and I love the colour of mine too vintage white/red pickguard

Does that help, probably not, but when I was looking to buy mine I found the comments here really useful.

Must be something in the air. I've always not liked Fender style basses or guitars for that matter ,and was even offered one when I was looking for my first bass and turned it down.
Now for some reason I cant explain, I really want a 4 string Jazz bass to compliment my 5 string OLP.

I've had a Jazz around on and off for the last three years. Originally for the reason that I sometimes get asked to play something more traditional sounding or looking than a Status. But now I've had a few, I can't see myself without a Jazz bass. I've tried Precisions, but only the absolute top of range 62RI model does anything for me.

And I like the traditional Jazz bass sound as well. Now I've got my hand picked 09 American Standard/Sadowsky preamp & the "do everything, leave anywhere" Squier CV, the only one I'm hanging my nose over is the American Standard 5 in Candy Cola/maple. Mmmmmmm :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='626469' date='Oct 14 2009, 10:02 PM']At the risk of stating the obvious make sure you try one. I hate the necks on a Jazz, far too skinny for me. Also, and I mention this at every opportunity, who's stupid idea was it to give it two volume controls?[/quote]

Another reason I got the Deluxe - one volume control.

[quote name='markl' post='626732' date='Oct 15 2009, 10:14 AM']Another reason I got the Deluxe - one volume control.[/quote]

Surely this is the same?
2 volume knobs
or
1 volume & 1 blend

same thing! :)
And if you don't have a tuner that mutes your signal......that's your fault lol

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='627413' date='Oct 15 2009, 10:30 PM']Surely this is the same?
2 volume knobs
or
1 volume & 1 blend

same thing! :)
And if you don't have a tuner that mutes your signal......that's your fault lol

Si[/quote]

Not even slightly... you're in the middle of a gig and you want to adjust your volume. How do you do it without screwing up the blend? Don't tell me to turn both equally.... I won't believe you :rolleyes:

Or.. ditto... how to adjust the blend without screwing up the volume. You can't! It's a ridiculous arrangement.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='627409' date='Oct 15 2009, 10:26 PM']Check out the MIM Roadworn Jazz basses - I've got severe `must buy one' GAS right now - in fiesta red!![/quote]

Yes, I must admit that there is something about the RW Jazz in Fiesta Red. Even though I hate the concept of the "worn" look, there definitely is something about them. I love this YT video of one...

[quote]Not even slightly... you're in the middle of a gig and you want to adjust your volume. How do you do it without screwing up the blend? Don't tell me to turn both equally.... I won't believe you laugh.gif

Or.. ditto... how to adjust the blend without screwing up the volume. You can't! It's a ridiculous arrangement.[/quote]

Amps have volumes that are perfect for turning up and down! :)
I actually treat my Jazzes as just having blends, my bridge is always maxed and I blend in the neck to suit. General volume is an amp thing, I rarely have to adjust mid-gig, and dynamics between different types of songs is in my fingers.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='627423' date='Oct 15 2009, 10:44 PM']Amps have volumes that are perfect for turning up and down! :)
I actually treat my Jazzes as just having blends, my bridge is always maxed and I blend in the neck to suit. General volume is an amp thing, I rarely have to adjust mid-gig, and dynamics between different types of songs is in my fingers.

Si[/quote]

TBH.... I have a volume pedal and I use it all the time. I'm a big fan of dynamics - classical background, can't help it. But I sort of rest my case - a jazz is a bass without a volume control.

[quote name='Sibob' post='627423' date='Oct 15 2009, 10:44 PM']Amps have volumes that are perfect for turning up and down! :)

Si[/quote]

Agreed totally on all counts. There's no need to play around with blends or volume in a gig. Play with a lighter or heavier touch, or adjust your rh playing position for different sounds.

I'm a classical musician as well - cellist & double bass player.

Rich.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='627431' date='Oct 15 2009, 10:50 PM']Agreed totally on all counts. There's no need to play around with blends or volume in a gig. Play with a lighter or heavier touch, or adjust your rh playing position for different sounds.

Rich.[/quote]

Totally disagree...... but each to their own, eh? :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='627434' date='Oct 15 2009, 10:53 PM']Totally disagree...... but each to their own, eh? :)[/quote]

Indeed :rolleyes:

But constantly adjusting your volume is only going to get you noticed in the wrong ways. The bass sometimes appearing too loud or disappearing is not good. Best to set levels at a sound check or at the beginning of a gig and play in a dynamic style.

Anyway, this thread is meant to be about jazz basses, not us arguing over volume etiquette -_-

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='627443' date='Oct 15 2009, 11:00 PM']Indeed :lol:

But constantly adjusting your volume is only going to get you noticed in the wrong ways. The bass sometimes appearing too loud or disappearing is not good. Best to set levels at a sound check or at the beginning of a gig and play in a dynamic style.

Anyway, this thread is meant to be about jazz basses, not us arguing over volume etiquette :rolleyes:[/quote]

That's not really what I meant but, yes, as you say - a different thread :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='627431' date='Oct 15 2009, 10:50 PM']Agreed totally on all counts. There's no need to play around with blends or volume in a gig. Play with a lighter or heavier touch, or adjust your rh playing position for different sounds.

Rich.[/quote]

Speaking as an occasional Jazz bass (Classic Vibe, as well as a couple of MIMs!) player, I do a Sibob and tend to bring the front p/up in as required. I love that burpy bridge p/up tone and if I need more `depth', I just roll the volume up for the front p/up. As Rich says, dynamic changes in volume can be achieved via touch etc. Signal degradation is not a problem with your volume up on the bass!

Nick