Why become a member? ×

Couriers...pfff

niceguyhomer

When I've sold stuff, I've always tried to deliver it or meet the buyer halfway - it saves money, ensures nothing gets broken and I like to know that the buyer is pleased with what he's bought. On the rare occasion I've used a carrier, it's always been Total Nobhead Transport - not cos they're cheap or good, it's cos I'm lazy and they call in where I work two or three times a day.

I've just rung them for a quote to send a bass - fully insured and they said they can't do it because I might not package it properly and therefore, they'll probably break it. They'll only send it standard delivery and I think they said it would only be insured for £15 a kilo - I was talking over the guy at the time so that may not be 100% accurate on that.

Fook that :)

Anyone else had this problem?

Most will insure it for the full amount as long as you pay. I think i read somewhere that some couriers insist on the package being able to withstand a 1m drop

I use Interparcel who ship for £8 with £50 insurance, more if you pay extra. I've never had any problems with them.
I think Porcel Farce have £150 as standard but will easily cover an expensive bass if you pay extra
It'd probably work out better to get the buyer to pay £40 for a hard case instead of extra insurance though.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='624878' date='Oct 13 2009, 12:31 PM']When I've sold stuff, I've always tried to deliver it or meet the buyer halfway - it saves money, ensures nothing gets broken and I like to know that the buyer is pleased with what he's bought. On the rare occasion I've used a carrier, it's always been Total Nobhead Transport - not cos they're cheap or good, it's cos I'm lazy and they call in where I work two or three times a day.

I've just rung them for a quote to send a bass - fully insured and they said they can't do it because I might not package it properly and therefore, they'll probably break it. They'll only send it standard delivery and I think they said it would only be insured for £15 a kilo - I was talking over the guy at the time so that may not be 100% accurate on that.

Fook that :)

Anyone else had this problem?[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
I too prefer collection by the buyer or meet half way or even deliver in some cases!....1 metre drop test?..WTF? :lol: ..i wouldnt want them dropping it at all... isnt that what theyre not supposed to do?.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='624886' date='Oct 13 2009, 12:41 PM']I think Porcel Farce have £150 as standard but will easily cover an expensive bass if you pay extra[/quote]

No they wont.
They [i]will[/i] sell you more cover atthe counter but, deep in the bowels of the parcelforce website lurks a hidden clause .. "[b]maximum[/b] you can claim for any musical instrument is [b]£150[/b], no matter what the clerk, our untrained and missinformed employee, sells or tells you. So there."
[url="http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw/content1?catId=25800694&mediaId=load105018"]http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw/conte...iaId=load105018[/url]
Pagel down to a paragraph entitled "[b]Prevent movement of items in transit[/b]" - an obvious place to have such an import insurance condition, don't you think?

There it is for all to see, should you happen across it... just like the Vogon notice on the destruction of the Earth to make way for a hyperspace bypass it is there, it has been there for eons and it's your own fault if you havn't evolved enough to know where to look .... :)

If you want to send it via Royal Mail use [b]Post Office Special Delivery 48[/b]. There's no such restrictions...

Al, pop over here to the courier thread and get the full gen:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=36625&view=findpost&p=58430"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...ost&p=58430[/url]

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='MB1' post='624896' date='Oct 13 2009, 12:52 PM']MB1. :)
I too prefer collection by the buyer or meet half way or even deliver in some cases!....1 metre drop test?..WTF? :rolleyes: ..i wouldnt want them dropping it at all... isnt that what theyre not supposed to do?.[/quote]

I remember a thread a while ago (about a damaged Ashdown cab i think) where a BCer wen't down to a courier depot and saw them throwing parcels around. It's best to be safe than sorry, i have had stuff damaged in transit but only when it hasn't been properly packed by the seller (not from here i might add)

I bought a Netbook a while ago, the seller sent it in a jiffy bag. I cringed as i opened it, expecting broken glass and plastic but it was fine. 9 times out of 10 i reckon that would have been damaged though

Another +1 for Interparcel. I sent a power amp 900 miles across Europe, it was there in a week despite being their cheap standard rate, and even with the extra insurance it was still just over 30 quid. No damage, but then again it was in bomb-resistant packaging. I shall use them again for definite.
By comparison, I've just sent a pair of foglights up to Bolton by Royal Snail 1st class recorded delivery... it took 11 days. I don't care if there's a postal strike or whatever, 11 days for a supposedly 1-2 day service is not on. It would have been quicker by pogo-stick.

Try Parcel Monkey [url="http://www.parcelmonkey.co.uk/"]http://www.parcelmonkey.co.uk/[/url] They use a variety of carriers and you can tailor your insurance to the value of the item. I sent a Trace V-Type all the way to Falkirk on next day delivery, insured up to £600 for just shy of £29. Mind you, most of that price was due to the fact that the final package weighed 38Kg and was fairly large. The service was good and the item arrived safe and sound the next day.

[quote name='Rich' post='624916' date='Oct 13 2009, 01:08 PM']Another +1 for Interparcel. I sent a power amp 900 miles across Europe, it was there in a week despite being their cheap standard rate, and even with the extra insurance it was still just over 30 quid. No damage, but then again it was in bomb-resistant packaging. I shall use them again for definite.[/quote]

I used them to send a Stingray to Spain a few months back. Worked out fine (although I packed it obsessively!) but it's still not something I'd want to make a habit of, I reckon regardless of the courier it's only a matter of time before a parcel turns into an insurance job, especially with something like a bass.