Why become a member? ×

Musicman Sterling / Stingray 5 string

mattbass6

Hi BC'ers, I hope all is well with you? I am primarily a 6 string bass player but recently I have GAS for a 5 string bass. The Musicman range has always caught my eye but I was wondering if any of you could help me with a few questions please.

Firstly, what is the better bass, the Stingray or the Stirling and what are the differences between them?

Secondly, I love a real flat fretboard - both my 6 strings have the flattest boards ever - as I am not really into the curved boards of Fender basses etc. Are the fret boards flat on these basses?

Thanks for listening and hopefully hear back from some of you soon. Take care.

Cheers,

Matt

Music Man have flat fingerboards. Well, at last the 3 I have owned all did.

With the Sterling and Stingray, you can't say which is the 'better' bass, they are simply different.

For example, the Stingray will offer a more warm, old school tone, whilst the Sterling offers more aggressive, more mid range punch. The Stingray is somewhat scooped in the mids.

The Pickuips and Preamps are different, but you will get the classic music man vibe with either bass. I love them all!

Also, the Sterling offers a smaller neck and smaller offset body and the Stingray is quite a lot fatter. This doesn't neccesarily mean the sterling is lighter than the ray, as wood varies obviously.

Edit: Just thought I would say...Musc Man are very highlty regarded when it comes to 5 string basses. You really can't go wrong. Personally however, I would get the Bongo 5!

Edited by Duarte

[quote name='Duarte' post='622461' date='Oct 10 2009, 03:08 PM']Music Man have flat fingerboards. Well, at last the 3 I have owned all did.

With the Sterling and Stingray, you can't say which is the 'better' bass, they are simply different.

For example, the Stingray will offer a more warm, old school tone, whilst the Sterling offers more aggressive, more mid range punch. The Stingray is somewhat scooped in the mids.

The Pickuips and Preamps are different, but you will get the classic music man vibe with either bass. I love them all!

Also, the Sterling offers a smaller neck and smaller offset body and the Stingray is quite a lot fatter. This doesn't neccesarily mean the sterling is lighter than the ray, as wood varies obviously.[/quote]

OP is asking about 5-string versions. Necks of Sterling 5 and Stingray 5 are the same dimensions.

[quote name='obbm' post='622464' date='Oct 10 2009, 03:13 PM']OP is asking about 5-string versions. Necks of Sterling 5 and Stingray 5 are the same dimensions.[/quote]

Is that true? Well then!

However, the Sterling does have the contoured heel, wheras the Stingray has the more traditional 6 bolt square neck heel.

[quote name='Duarte' post='622461' date='Oct 10 2009, 03:08 PM']For example, the Stingray will offer a more warm, old school tone, whilst the Sterling offers more aggressive, more mid range punch. The Stingray is somewhat scooped in the mids.

The Pickuips and Preamps are different, but you will get the classic music man vibe with either bass.[/quote]

Ray has Alnico p/ups and the Sterling has ceramic which gives the tone Duarte has acurately described. Ray is also slightly larger and weighs a bit more too (5ozs or so according to MM).

Sterling 5s are extrememly rare in the UK. If you want a new one then its a 4-month wait.

Stingray 5s have been around for about 20-years. There have been various revisions over the years and special editions. There are always plenty on the used market at mostly sensible prices.

Stingray 5s had alnico pickups way back in the beginning,then changed to ceramic up till the Sterling 5 came out then changed back to alnico. mines has ceramic and I love the tone - smooth yet growly :) is how I'd describe it.
I've got a Bongo 5HH too and wouldnt have sold my SR5 to get it but I'm glad I have that too. It does a lot more than the SR5 but cant do the thing the SR5 does