Why become a member? ×

BFM "Jack" cabs - would love one but can't dut the ply

muzzer

I have been "GASing" over the new Jack cabinets that Bill has designed here [url="http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/Jack.html"]http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/Jack.html[/url]
I have bought the plans with a view to building myself a nice 2x10" version with the two deltalite's I have currently sitting wasted in an old G+K cabinet, but unfortunately I have no way of cutting the ply up to the sizes required (or the skill for that matter :) ).
So, I was wondering if anyone here on Basschat is still building cabs and would be willing to make me a "flatpack" version of the Jack 2x10" ?
I know a couple of people on here used to build BFM cabs, but can't find any references now.

Any takers?
I'll pay for the ply, time etc. obviously :rolleyes:

Cheers
Steve

Presuming you're buying the ply from a timber merchants ask in there? When I bought the ply for my projects, I asked the guy in the timber merchants if he'd cut the boards up to my precise measurements. Took him all of 30 minutes on his giant machine and they all came out +/- 1mm and cost me a £10 drink.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='619160' date='Oct 6 2009, 11:41 PM']I agree that you can pay the supplier to do straight cuts, but that still leaves you with the angled cuts where the horn starts and ends.[/quote]

Spot on David

....Bills cabs have [i]lots [/i]of angled cuts, its all part of the horn construction, anything but a simple square vented box, so getting the panels cut for you will only help on the standard outer box panels...having said that, if you take your time its really not that hard, just a little time consuming.

I built my own death saw to cut the panels...

Older Omni 10:-

Omni 15:-

Dave

Edited by david_l_perry

Thanks for all the replies - I had thought of using my local B&Q/Wickes what-have-you but as mottlefeeder and DLP say

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='619160' date='Oct 6 2009, 11:41 PM']I agree that you can pay the supplier to do straight cuts, but that still leaves you with the angled cuts where the horn starts and ends.[/quote]

My woodworking is absolute cr@p and even I can do better than what happened the last time I asked B&Q to cut some angled panels :)

Anyway, I have done some asking around locally and there is a furniture restorer close to me who will apparently do cabinet work so I'll give hime a go.

Cheers
Steve

Edit: Oh, nice work by the way DLP, those cabs look excellent - I hope my one turns out half as good.

Edited by muzzer

[quote name='muzzer' post='619506' date='Oct 7 2009, 07:52 AM']Anyway, I have done some asking around locally and there is a furniture restorer close to me who will apparently do cabinet work so I'll give hime a go.[/quote]
Insist that he follow the instructions to a T, including the choice of materials and adhesives.

Aah, the maestro speaks, glad to see you still monitor these forums Mr Fitmzaurice :rolleyes:

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='619624' date='Oct 7 2009, 02:54 PM']Insist that he follow the instructions to a T, including the choice of materials and adhesives.[/quote]

Absolutely, I learnt my lesson a while ago when attempting to build a Tuba24 - I thought I would make a few "shortcuts" but the less said about that the better I think :)

For anyone else reading this post, I can't praise Bill's instructions enough. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is covered.
I would love have a go building a Jack, but currently have absolutely nowhere I can do any work apart from final assembly (at a push).

Cheers
Steve

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='620662' date='Oct 8 2009, 04:35 PM']Have you sorted this out yet?

I can do it if you can get the ply round to me[/quote]

That wouldn't be easy, since I live in The Netherlands.
Are there any other options?