Why become a member? ×

Brandoni, London

EdwardMarlowe

Does anyone own a Brandoni bass? Ever bought from them?

I'm seriously looking at one of their P basses as my next instrument purchase, given that I can have a maple P bass from them much more affordably than any other option, plus I can get to their shop and check it over before I take it home, which is the big drawback with CIJ fender stuff nowadays.

Before anyone weighs in with MIM Fender this or that.... bear in mind there are a couple of major dealbreakers for me:

1] It has to be maple board

2] Has to be a traditional P Bass style - not interested in active pups, extra pups, etc

3] It has to be available left handed

Number 3 is usually the killer.

I bought a bass "body-in-white" (complete with through-neck, etc) from them years ago (subsequently transformed by Chris McIntyre, when he worked at The Gallery, into a lovely custom bass). Nice guys, cheap too. They seem to have bits for almost every conceivable type of guitar or bass there, so you should be able to gather the bits for your dream P-Bass without too many issues. :)

The japanese-made bodies & necks are very good quality. The alder sunburst P body I bought was virtualy indistinguisable from the one on my MIJ Fender 62' RI Precision & The fretless neck has a fantastic ebony fingerboard & is quartersawn maple. I fitted mostly Fender parts as much of the hardware they supply are from the cheap & cheerful (but serviceable) end of the spectrum. For example the pickguards are a different shape to fenders. I did use the alnico pickup from brandoni on the Precision though. Its easy to put together a great bass using their parts yourself & save a bit more cash, so (IMHO) buying a ready-made one would defeat the object. I also built a telecaster using brandoni parts.

I was playing my old Brandoni Jbass last night - alder body, japanese neck (seems identical to old Squier/Tokai?) but with Seymour Duncan pickups and a Badass bridge. I also did a cheap and cheerful spray can finish (clear/tinted "nitro"). Its a very good bass!

If you have the time/space/inclination its worth putting one together - it shows where the quality control and skills are required for this type of instrument. You'll never look at a Fender style bass the same way again.