Why become a member? ×

Cheap way to make my rig louder

Dubs

I'm using a Hughes & Kettner QC421 400W combo at the moment and I'm not sure it's loud enough on its own. It has a serial jack output on the back for an extension cab - should I be looking for a cheap 1x15, or would something else be a better solution for more air movement?

Difficult - as it's a serial jack it really needs an identical cab to perform well. First thing I'd do is see how using acoustics in your favour can help (wall/corner reinforcement for more lows, pointing speakers at head for more mid/treble), and also coax your guitarist to thin their sound out a bit.

Alex

[quote name='Jarhead' post='617826' date='Oct 5 2009, 07:12 PM']Don't suppose you've tried the volume control at all? :)

Zach[/quote]

To the point that everything is distorted, and then it sounds like a fart in a can :rolleyes:

[quote name='Jarhead' post='618914' date='Oct 6 2009, 07:22 PM']Yeah, sounds about right :) I recommend the megaphone method, but instead tape a few together and then hang them in front, see how that works.

Zach[/quote]

I might raid ebay and hook up an 8xMegaPhone rig :brow:

[quote name='Jarhead' post='617826' date='Oct 5 2009, 07:12 PM']Don't suppose you've tried the volume control at all? :)
Zach[/quote]
[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='617835' date='Oct 5 2009, 07:20 PM']To the point that everything is distorted, and then it sounds like a fart in a can :rolleyes:[/quote]
That's because you were using the wrong volume control. The one you need to adjust is on the guitarists amp.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='620372' date='Oct 8 2009, 11:10 AM']That's because you were using the wrong volume control. The one you need to adjust is on the guitarists amp.[/quote]

In most cases, I'd agree, but the guitarist's tone is great and the drummer is a bit naturally loud so they work well with each other. Not got a full band practise this week so I can't test amp positioning yet to see if that helps...

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='620400' date='Oct 8 2009, 11:25 AM']When i was gigging a Ashdown EB180 i brought a Aphex Exciter pedal to try and get louder. while it doesn't make you louder it certainly gave me more presence and felt like i was a bit louder.[/quote]

I've got one of those up for sale :) I might put it in between my Pod Live XT and the amp to see if it makes a difference.

[quote name='Dubs' post='620404' date='Oct 8 2009, 11:30 AM']I've got one of those up for sale :) I might put it in between my Pod Live XT and the amp to see if it makes a difference.[/quote]

Yeah, i was going to wait until your one was sold and maybe sell mine.

I think it will just make the sound a bit bigger rather than louder. It certainly helped with my Ashdown but then that was only outputting about 120watts.