Why become a member? ×

What's your greatest moment in music?

Golchen

Thanks for all the contributions everyone (finally got around to reading my own thread!) So many amazing and touching stories.

I feel a bit sad to say that I have never had a 'greatest moment in music'. It's the one single area of my life where I feel like a total loser :) Oh well, life's been good to me otherwise so I shouldn't complain.

Eyup Golchen, if you're enjoying playing and getting something positive from it, then there's no "loser" about it.
My moments would be fairly modest:
- getting paid to play and having punters singing songs I'd co-written.
- joining a band playing covers I really enjoy, and with a good level of commitment that doesn't interfere with my job or homelife (too much) but still gets me out of the house for paid gigs about once a week. Perfect!

I suppose if a greatest moment doesn't jump out at you then you possibly haven't got one. But I've been playing regularly for a long time and digging into my memory I can recall three that in their way were quite good:-

1959 and we were still at school, I played trombone then, and our third gig as a full-blown six piece jazz band was supporting Chris Barber at Reading Town Hall. In those days Lonnie Donnegan had just left him to go skiffle and Petite Fleur was recorded so Barber was quite hot then. Gig went very well and when I got home I found the rest of our band there together with half the Barber band drinking - coffee made by a star-struck dad.

1962 during our 'Tour of Cornwall' at the Flamingo Ballroom in Redruth. The owner excitedly told us that Georgie Fame was staying there. While we were setting up he came up on stage, sat a the piano and started to play Dat Dere. So our alto player and I joined him. Great jam.

I suppose a test of how great a moment is depends on what a let down the next gig is. I always get that feeling when I come home after a tour in one of the European countries. Hospitality is great and the crowds are really appreciative. I always get a great buzz of anticipation every time we sail out of Dover.

Sorry for the length.

Another greatest moment for me would be playing Brixton Academy to around 5000 people. It was an originals band and our singer had a massive powerful voice. Near the end of a song, he put his mic down and sang something to them which they sang back. The whole venue was singing back and forth and it was amazing being on stage seeing and hearing it.

[quote name='Golchen' post='647006' date='Nov 6 2009, 10:10 AM']Thanks for all the contributions everyone (finally got around to reading my own thread!) So many amazing and touching stories.

I feel a bit sad to say that I have never had a 'greatest moment in music'. It's the one single area of my life where I feel like a total loser :) Oh well, life's been good to me otherwise so I shouldn't complain.[/quote]

Something I did was to set goals for the bands I am in. My most successful band I set the goals of, record a CD, have a song played on the radio and do a gig somewhere in Europe. I far exceeded that by releasing a CD, doing a gig in Europe, then getting a record deal having 3 singles and an album released, playing on TV and Radio including live sessions and gigging all over the place.

My current band I have set the goals of the singer and guitarist to do a couple of covers and open mic sessions, then as a band write a live set of original songs, get a drummer, record an album, do some gigs and a photoshoot. All pretty easy.

So just try setting some goals including one or two that may push or challenge you and see how you get on. Its amazing how much having a target or goal can drive you on.

[quote name='Golchen' post='647006' date='Nov 6 2009, 10:10 AM']Thanks for all the contributions everyone (finally got around to reading my own thread!) So many amazing and touching stories.

I feel a bit sad to say that I have never had a 'greatest moment in music'. It's the one single area of my life where I feel like a total loser :) Oh well, life's been good to me otherwise so I shouldn't complain.[/quote]

dont feel to bad about it .I dont have a greatest moment either - in fact the only thing that keeps me playing in bands is a profund sense of masochism

thanks dude. It's pretty embarrasing that you saw us lol. I think I've improved a lot since then in playing, sound, dress sense and stage etiquette lol. (and band choice tbh!)

[quote name='cetera' post='646079' date='Nov 5 2009, 11:03 AM']Ah yes, I was there down the front watching you mate! Being a big Styx fan I was at Nottingham, Birmingham AND Hammersmith :)

Great shows! :rolleyes:[/quote]

[quote name='leschirons' post='617240' date='Oct 5 2009, 10:43 AM']A prog-rock trio I was in aged 21 (as drummer) called "Hard, fast and greasy"[/quote]

So which one were you? :)

Just caught up with this thread - fantastic stuff. I have nothing to contribute of my own but am totally enjoying the memories.

Greatest moment in my music career, probably playing first Horn for Leonard Bernstein in the 'Pacific Music Festival' in 1990 (a couple of months before his death), playing Tchaikovsky's 'Francesca da Rimini' on live Japanese TV & radio. Bernstein really was as great as they said he was, I can assure you.

With the Bass I'm still too cr*p to have an 'ok' moment let alone a great one :) but I'm working on it - may even have a good moment in a year or 2!