Why become a member? ×

SUNN O))) touring in UK

BottomEndian

OK, it's a pretty niche thing here, but for those of you who are interested and don't yet know, here's the heads-up: SUNN O))) are touring in the UK in December.

Dec 6, 2009 Stereo Glasgow, UK
Dec 7, 2009 The Sage Newcastle (Gateshead), UK
Dec 8, 2009 Islington Mill Manchester, UK
Dec 9, 2009 Trinity Church Bristol, UK
Dec 10, 2009 Asylum Birmingham, UK
Dec 12, 2009 ATP Minehead, UK
Dec 13, 2009 ATP Minehead, UK
Dec 14, 2009 Koko London, UK

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, here's the spiel from The Sage website:
[quote]SUNN O))) is a drone metal outfit from Los Angeles, which explores the power of electric amplified sound, venturing into drone, psychedelic and experimental minimalism/maximalist as well as fusions with such underground metal cultures as black, death and doom metal. Exploring life and death defined through the heaviest guitar sounds possible, the band works collaboratively with experimental composers and sound artists.

NB This concert will be extraordinarily LOUD.[/quote]
A band for amp fetishists:

I've got my ticket booked for the Gateshead date. Should be nicely visceral. Earplugs, anyone?

[quote name='retroman' post='615481' date='Oct 3 2009, 08:46 AM']CCCOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL!!!! :)

I love all things doom, and it's been a few years since I last saw these guys. I would love to know how he gets that guitar tone :rolleyes:[/quote]

PM me for bit of info, its not for public though, O'Malley is a secretive, nerdy, guy. [All in the fingers, totally].

Totally tried to get support for the Bristol gig, got a no. Now all my ska arrangements of the tunes will go to waste.

Talking of support, the Birmingham and London shows have OM supporting (and OM are also at ATP). Saw them a few years back, and they were superb. Epic stoner bass & drums 2-piece. At the time it was the rhythm section from Sleep, but Chris Hakius left last year. Haven't heard anything with the new drummer, but if you like your riffs heavy and simple, I'm sure they're still awesome.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='615996' date='Oct 3 2009, 07:41 PM']A lot of the Sunn O))) suond hits you in the bowels, so another plug is also advised.[/quote]

I caught then at the Thekla with Earth a few years back and was dead centre at the front for all of it. I thought I was about to have a nose bleed for most of it.

The ear pains started the next day.