Why become a member? ×

Does anyone know this bass and Do some basses slap better than others?

Amazoman

Hi all.
I'm really glad I found the site and lots of useful info.

I am relatively new to bass having played drums for a fair few years but always hankered after a bass guitar. I bought one off e bay when one came up that I liked the look of and the price was right. It is a custom made bass which despite my best efforts have not been able to find anything out about. It has a small logo on the headstock, similar to a pair of wings a la RAF style , with a letter L in the centre and the name Liberty underneath. I know there is a company called Liberty in the states but they have confirmed it is not one of theirs. Any ideas anyone?

Part 2- I can find my way around the guitar and I have played live on numerous occasions but I am certainly only beginner stage, it has a lovely tone and people comment on how nice a guitar it is but I simply cannot get a decent slap out of it. Is it me or do some guitars slap better than others and if so which are the better ones to consider for my next purchase.

Thanks in anticipation.

I thought Liberty was a budget range, something to do with Tanglewood? They did Ps and Js, also Tanglewood Rebel style basses IIRC

Maybe the bass just hasn't got a good inherent slap sound, some do slap better than others. Be aware that good technique is probably the most important factor in a good slap (or any) sound, irrelevant of the bass

Some basses do slap better than others, but its generally a setup issue rather than anything more serious. Occasionally there are ergonomic decision made during design that really hamper slap like having a Ramp installed (IMO rather strangely the Warwick Thumb bass suffers from having too big a gap between the string and body for your popping finger to disappear into for instance). Generally though just about anything can be slapped, although the tone may not be what you would want always.

The answer in all probability is that your technique isnt there yet to get over any inadequacies with the bass itself....

Thanks for the swift responses .
Yes Dave that is exactly the logo. Well found ,I have searched for this without any luck and you find it in a few minutes!!!

I guess more practice is required to improve my technique as the pups are not too close to the end of the fret board to be the reason for poor slap sound.

Status basses seem to slap reasonably well (!) and most Fender Jazz style basses slap very neatly. I agree with Outtoplayjazz - proximity of the neck pickup to the board is an issue. I had one 26 fret bass with an elongated board and there was little gap between it and the pickup (that said, the bass wasn't designed fundamentally for a slap style). I've found SGs to be a problem, along with some other traditional (non-Fender) styles