Why become a member? ×

GASing for a Precision

Bottle

Need some advice fellas. Having a bit of a GAS attack after seeing the Sandberg California range, particularly the PM.

I'm looking for a project bass at the moment - fancy acquiring a 4 string P-bass to strip down and re-fin, re-pup and re-string.

1) Replace the stock Precision p'up
2) Fit a MM style p'up at the bridge
3) Replace the bridge (probably with a BadAss II)
4) Re-fin the body - thinking of Lake Placid blue with white scratchplate
5) Re-string and detune to ADGC - need advice on setting up (trussrod etc), string gauges and p'up selection
6) Control-wise, need some advice on whether to go with VVT + MM p'up select, or stacked VT + separate blend + MM p'up switch.

Bearing mind I would prefer to go all passive, I'm looking for advice on pickup selection and strings.

I can get a new MIM '08 P-bass for about 400 notes, would this be a suitable platform to start from? Also does anyone know of a luthier in the Cambridge area who could do the pickup routing?

Thanks guys :)

Yep, the costs could outweigh the benefits - but I'm looking for some extra customisation on the bass - besides a previously-owned Sandberg is still a tad expensive, and they don't come up for sale too often. And I'm still looking to re-string it and drop the tuning down to ADGC (so the nut will need filing out)

Still, it's an option :)

Thanks so far

[quote name='Rayman' post='613720' date='Oct 1 2009, 12:08 PM']I'd be looking out for a MIM Precision Deluxe and doing some upgrading on that perhaps?[/quote]
Hmm, now that could be a plan, since there's already a route in the body for the Jazz pickup, maybe enlarging it wouldn't be quite so much of a hassle. Good idea!

BTW, I've seen references to the MM pickup 'sweet spot' - just wondered if someone could clarify that in terms of where that might be? Closer to the bridge or maybe centred over a harmonic of the string?

Anyway, thanks for the replies so far guys!

[quote name='Bottle' post='613752' date='Oct 1 2009, 12:37 PM']Hmm, now that could be a plan, since there's already a route in the body for the Jazz pickup, maybe enlarging it wouldn't be quite so much of a hassle. Good idea!

BTW, I've seen references to the MM pickup 'sweet spot' - just wondered if someone could clarify that in terms of where that might be? Closer to the bridge or maybe centred over a harmonic of the string?

Anyway, thanks for the replies so far guys![/quote]

How about one of the Squier precision specials. It has a jazz pick up at the bridge, so less routing. Cheap as chips to pick up as well.

[quote name='yorick' post='613763' date='Oct 1 2009, 12:46 PM']How about one of the Squier precision specials. It has a jazz pick up at the bridge, so less routing. Cheap as chips to pick up as well.[/quote]
Looks quite good - although not sure about the Jazz-neck-on-a-Precision-body idea - would prefer to have an all-precision bass as the donor.

Got lots to think about - might be back to ask questions about MM pickup wiring - not sure how the whole series/single/parallel thing works (already JFGI'd :))

Thanks all

[quote name='yorick' post='613763' date='Oct 1 2009, 12:46 PM']How about one of the Squier precision specials. It has a jazz pick up at the bridge, so less routing. Cheap as chips to pick up as well.[/quote]

This is the route I would go. with a little care, you can find an outstanding neck and body on one of these, allowing you to spend more of your money on the upgrades etc. Also, IMO, your upgrade cash will go further as there will be a bigger and more appreciable benefit over the stock components...

FWIW, I have one of the Squier P Bass Specials myself - as a lefty, this was the only bass in the Squier range when I bought. Still the only P Bass Fender do left handed, shy of the US Std P Bass. I really like mine - the P pup in particular gives a fab sound. I'm keeping an eye out for a lefty P Bass body and a maple boarded neck, though, as I want to use this as a donor guitar to build myself a more traditional style P-type. I'll be using as much as possible of the original hardware - really I'll just be jettisoning the neck and the body - though I may fit an upgraded bridge. TBH, though, if only it came with a maple board, I'd quite possible be keeping it whole, but if I'm gonig the length of repalcing th neck, I might as well go the whole hog and go for the traditional P single pup layout I prefer.... when new to the bass from guitar, I found the slimmer, J-type neck much easier to get along with than many other basses I've tried. Though I now want something more "57" in style, objectively speaking, the P Bass Special as stock is a great set up. I've seen quite a few pro acts using them all stock - great platform for mods. As would be any of the Squiers, really. I do thik the MIMs are a step up (if only I could buy a lefty of that P Bass, I would have already), but if you're gonig to upgrade components to the degree you're talking about and refinish, it's debateable IMO whether you would really benefit from the MIM over the Squier.

[quote name='EdwardMarlowe' post='613860' date='Oct 1 2009, 02:38 PM']This is the route I would go. with a little care, you can find an outstanding neck and body on one of these, allowing you to spend more of your money on the upgrades etc. Also, IMO, your upgrade cash will go further as there will be a bigger and more appreciable benefit over the stock components...

FWIW, I have one of the Squier P Bass Specials myself - as a lefty, this was the only bass in the Squier range when I bought. Still the only P Bass Fender do left handed, shy of the US Std P Bass. I really like mine - the P pup in particular gives a fab sound. I'm keeping an eye out for a lefty P Bass body and a maple boarded neck, though, as I want to use this as a donor guitar to build myself a more traditional style P-type. I'll be using as much as possible of the original hardware - really I'll just be jettisoning the neck and the body - though I may fit an upgraded bridge. TBH, though, if only it came with a maple board, I'd quite possible be keeping it whole, but if I'm gonig the length of repalcing th neck, I might as well go the whole hog and go for the traditional P single pup layout I prefer.... when new to the bass from guitar, I found the slimmer, J-type neck much easier to get along with than many other basses I've tried. Though I now want something more "57" in style, objectively speaking, the P Bass Special as stock is a great set up. I've seen quite a few pro acts using them all stock - great platform for mods. As would be any of the Squiers, really. I do thik the MIMs are a step up (if only I could buy a lefty of that P Bass, I would have already), but if you're gonig to upgrade components to the degree you're talking about and refinish, it's debateable IMO whether you would really benefit from the MIM over the Squier.[/quote]
Okey-doke. That's made me feel a whole lot better!

I'm going to see if I can get one to try out (either Digital Village in Cambridge, or maybe a visit to the Bass Merchant). I may stay with the PJ configuration for a while, then upgrade to an MM after the warranty runs out!

Defo upgrading the bridge tho'. Also want to re-string with thicker strings (for ADGC thinking 0.135/0.115/0.090/0.070, will have to file the nut considerably)

Got a lot of options here, but thanks for all your replies so far :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just taken a punt on a rather lovely walnut Squier Precision Special from DV (180 quid!!!). Noodled in the shop and it sounded fab - can't wait to try it on my rig when I get home!!!

Looking at dropping the tuning down to D-Standard (DGCF) to start with, so I've got my bas(s)es covered tuning-wise (I'm keeping my Ibby in E or maybe Drop-D). Eventual aim is to do the bridge/nut for ADGC and MM p'up, but I can wait a year on that

Anyway, looking forward to gigging with it.

Edited by Bottle