Why become a member? ×

Which super Jazz??

bubinga5

Ah did i say it had to be a five string...

im waiting for some money, about 5K....im really seriously thinking of asking Chris Celinder if he would make me a J5 Update...im thinking of either going the painted route or the sexy top route?? for the sexy top route im thinking, Alder body, Koa or flame Maple top, Rosewood FB,cream bound, pearl blocks, matching Koa/FM headstock, gold hardwear..this is gonna cost me big time i know...

For the painted look i would like to go for an off white body, pearl scratchplate, Rosewood FB, Bound, Pearl Blocks, off white headstock, Gold hardwear..

What say you, any ideas??

Edited by bubinga5

In terms of sound its much of a muchness. I've heard anonymous samples of a Bacchus with Nordies and an Avella and been hard pressed to tell which was better quality. My own personal view is that it probably comes down to feel and playability more than anything.

My two favourites are Alleva Coppolo and Celinder.

Beautiful instruments.

Having said that I have a Skjold which I really love and is my only 'Jazz' bass. I definitely prefer a lighter bass, many of the modern basses are really nice and light but retain great tone.

Also owned and would recommend trying Roscoe, FBass,Sadowsky(Tokyo and NYC) and GB.

AtelierZ and Moon also great basses.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='622241' date='Oct 10 2009, 08:28 AM']In terms of sound its much of a muchness. I've heard anonymous samples of a Bacchus with Nordies and an Avella and been hard pressed to tell which was better quality. My own personal view is that it probably comes down to feel and playability more than anything.[/quote]

Exactly right.

I've heard (and played) some real top end stuff, on paper, but many of those basses were soulless. It doesn't have to be expensive to hit the spot. I've played some low/mid priced basses and totally loved them. One of the nicest, grooooviest basses I've had my hands on in recent years was a Schecter Model T, should've kept that one.

i guess CK, that at a certain level, certain basses come down to a purely subjective sense of what ergonomics you like..., for me i want an instrument i would like to keep for the rest of my bass playing days...i have three basses now that i dont think i would ever part with, there just supreme instruments in my eyes.. i have always wanted a Celinder ever since i saw Toasted's black 4 though...

To be honest ive never played one....so if anyone would like to let me play there's please say..ive played Sadowsk's Lull's,AC,s, LE,s...the only five i have really loved is the Sei..just incredible East tone from my favorite pups...

do i really need another bass..erm..no....but i have gas for a super jazz, and im guessing Celinder is about as super as they come..

[quote name='bubinga5' post='622280' date='Oct 10 2009, 09:40 AM']i guess CK, that at a certain level, certain basses come down to a purely subjective sense of what ergonomics you like..., for me i want an instrument i would like to keep for the rest of my bass playing days...[/quote]
In which case it might be better if you avoid anything that is currently fashionable and go for something that will still be worth the same when the rest of your bass playing days are finished.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='622280' date='Oct 10 2009, 09:40 AM']do i really need another bass..erm..no....but i have gas for a super jazz, and im guessing Celinder is about as super as they come..[/quote]
Of course its subjective but make sure you try other basses first and be clear on where the value of a jazz is for YOU. Is it the sound? You don't need a Celinder for that. If its the playability, then Celinders are up there with the best but will they give you 100% satisfaction? If so, for how long? Are your tastes still changing as well? Are you buying a Celinder for the brand? Hell, why not! But if your tastes change later on, whats the plan going to be?

A Celinder with standard pickup casings and control layout might be a good solution as well, you could swap out the Fralins and Aguilar pre for Lollars and passive circuitry if you fancy a warmer sound later on in your career. Alternatively there are plenty of good jazz basses out there for £800 which could offer the same flexibility. I didn't buy my Celinders for anywhere near £4k and would still be reluctant to do that even now after owning three.

For me it's all down to the qualities of the wood and playability at the end of the day for standard Fender type designs. Anything else can be swapped or upgraded with relatively predictable results. The well known brands don't have a monopoly on good wood necessarily either, but they do tend to be more consistent. Personally I would probably have gone with a Nash or Alan Knight road rashed PJ 5 or even a Lakland if I didn't have the Celinders.

Also, if you find a bass that isn't a Celinder that still makes you go 'wow, this is really nice' then go with your impulse. I remember trying my Spector out at a National Bass Bash when Al still owned it and thinking 'wow' and missing at least two opportunities to buy it through BC. Also the same wow-thing happened with a Class D amp when I first tried a Peavey Databass combo way back in 1988. I should have trusted my instincts in both cases.