Why become a member? ×

Double Neck Fretted / Fretless

Mr Bassman

Mid 1980's Washburn Bantam needs new home.

Single coil pick ups (Riverhead, I think) to look like emg's.

Quite a modern, bright sound.

Weightwise not too bad with the right strap.

I was told by Washburn that only 6 of these were imported to U.K.

R.R.P. was just over £1100

Open to offers or trades for old Jazz or P bass, Gibsons (incl guitars) uprights, eub's etc or Bose L1 pa, or w.h.y.?
Or maybe a headless Status, never tried one!

[attachment=33387:twin_cropped.jpg] [attachment=33388:Wasburn2.jpg]

Edited by Mr Bassman

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='607241' date='Sep 23 2009, 11:22 PM']Mid 1980's Washburn Bantam needs new home.

Open to offers or trades for old Jazz or P bass, Gibsons (incl guitars) uprights, eub's etc or Bose L1 pa, or w.h.y.?

[attachment=33387:twin_cropped.jpg] [attachment=33388:Wasburn2.jpg][/quote]

Forgot to say it's passive with jazz bass type controls and takes either double ball ended or regular strings

It was me - there is a Delbert on the forum but it was myself who was looking for one.

I've no idea what this is worth so will have to do a bit of research.

If interested, I have an 80s E series candy apple red MIJ Precision that I've not even gigged yet but will be this weekend.

Good question :)

I'd like to know what it's made of. Is it all wood, if so, what sort? I know the hardware is proprietary. Looks like rosewood boards. The single neck versions on Harmony Central get reasonable reviews but the prices paid are all over the shop. There's a slightly derogatory appraisal on the Ed Roman double neck site but they would say that since they are offering to custom build a better quality one for you with real Steinberger parts. There's also a dude in Italy with one for sale at €1,450, but will he get that? There are variants too apparently, with the FL neck on the bottom.

This bass is an absolute bitch to find out anything about. I think I'd really like it, but I have a value in mind I won't go beyond and I don't want to get into a bidding situation.

If anyone can find out more about this thing, can we share info?

Cheers.

Edited by silddx

Sorry to be vague on the price guys,

I'd like to get a fair price for it, but can't find any reference to it's value.

It's all wood, don't know what, rosewood boards.

It's not had that much use in the 23 years I've owned it.

I fixed an extra strap button to improve the balance.

I've just had a look and noticed that unlike my Stienberger L2 it doesn't take double ball ended strings, just standard strings cut down.

Here's a [url="http://myweb.cebridge.net/gareth/gbay/index.htm"]link[/url] to another owner / seller from 2006

So any suggestions as to value most welcome.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='616021' date='Oct 3 2009, 08:10 PM']Here's a [url="http://myweb.cebridge.net/gareth/gbay/index.htm"]link[/url] to another owner / seller from 2006[/quote]
Ah, I'd seen that, at least it helps with the value of postage in the USA :)

I've been having a think and I reckon, since it's probably all wood, that it was a fairly easy bass to manufacture. The very high price of £1,100 in the 1980s may have been purely to offset the initial cost of tooling up to produce the proprietary hardware. Steinberger probably weren't licencing theirs out at the time, although that's conjecture on my part. The fact the bass is rare is obviously because it was unpopular for whatever reason, and not particularly innovative. I'm sure it's a very well made bass, not sure why it doesn't have HBs or active circuitry though. To me, it's little different to the Hohners, although they are active of course.

Wonder if that guy in Italy will get that much for his.

Mr Bassman, have Washburn themselves been of any help with specs and value, other than to tell you how many were sent to the UK?

Edited by silddx

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='607241' date='Sep 23 2009, 11:22 PM']Mid 1980's Washburn Bantam needs new home.

[attachment=33387:twin_cropped.jpg] [attachment=33388:Wasburn2.jpg][/quote]

Man, I had one of those back in the mid '80s! Sound Control had to order it in from Washburn Germany. Cost me just over £600 then and I punted it in Brixton Exchange Mart a few years later when i fell out of love with it. Thanx for that bit of nostalgia!

BTW, is BEM still on the go??

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='616021' date='Oct 3 2009, 08:10 PM']Sorry to be vague on the price guys,

I've just had a look and noticed that unlike my Stienberger L2 it doesn't take double ball ended strings, just standard strings cut down.

Here's a [url="http://myweb.cebridge.net/gareth/gbay/index.htm"]link[/url] to another owner / seller from 2006

So any suggestions as to value most welcome.[/quote]

That was what became a real issue with the one I had: that f****** clamp! They obviously couldn't get a licence from Steiny so they made that thing. Bad design on an otherwise great bass.

[quote name='Stacker' post='616430' date='Oct 4 2009, 12:41 PM']That was what became a real issue with the one I had: that f****** clamp! They obviously couldn't get a licence from Steiny so they made that thing. Bad design on an otherwise great bass.[/quote]
I actually think the Washburn string clamps are better than the ones on my 1982 L2 Steinberger.

Ive never had a problem with them whereas on the Steiny I fitted a new set of T.I.'s (about £45), trimmed them off and had to put them in the bin because the centre core slipped inside the winding.
I've left plenty of afterlength with the set I have on now.

That doesnt happen on the Washburn, the strings are double clamped by a screw and the retainer.

[attachment=34046:DSC03380.JPG]

It appears our Italian cousin I mentioned has joined us today to provide some extra entertainment :) Two of these on BassChat at one time! I'm out, but I shall watch with great interest!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=62724"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=62724[/url]

[quote name='silddx' post='619166' date='Oct 6 2009, 11:49 PM']It appears our Italian cousin I mentioned has joined us today to provide some extra entertainment :rolleyes: Two of these on BassChat at one time! I'm out, but I shall watch with great interest!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=62724"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=62724[/url][/quote]
That's no good to anyone in U.K.
It's left hand drive! :)

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='619742' date='Oct 7 2009, 04:51 PM']Yep, it's difficult to see the bottom neck without leaning over.[/quote]
Just close your eyes and pray! :)
On the clamp issue, I made myself one on the Ibanez years ago.. occasional string centre slippage was overcome by a scloosh of superglue on the end after trimming the string(!)