Why become a member? ×

Orion - Metallica

JJTee

All those bits I thought were guitar solos (and which are never transcribed in the official bass tab book as being Cliff's parts)...turns out they're apparently Cliffy-boy all along! Fancy that...those tab books are bollocks! (mind you, it does sound like guitar and they're apparently Cliff playing stuff Kirk had worked out or something)

Oh, and here's the isolated bass track for For Whom the Bell Tolls too... check the squealy high parts on the outro...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwHYPmjTBb0&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwHYPmjTBb0...feature=related[/url]

lol i had the same reaction. the problem was i heard rodrigo and gabriela (spelling?) version first so i assumed most of the original song was guitaring.

[quote]I think Cliff was the most talented person in Metallica inho. Altho' James and Lars are great songwriters.[/quote]

Probably, but his distorted bass playing didn't really appeal to me...save for Orion. Anaesthesia is a work of art, but i think it lacks...well, bass. I think i prefer Jason for those reasons *puts guard up*

Edited by arabassist

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='595171' date='Sep 10 2009, 09:58 PM']I think Cliff was the most talented person in Metallica inho. Altho' James and Lars are great songwriters.
Checkout the call of ktula from Ride the Lightning . Another Cliff Classic.........[/quote]

+1 :)

I always have always thought that they were never the same after Cliff, and I certainly prefer the Cliff era stuff. I always thought that perhaps Jason was a little held back, and certainly had a big set of boots to fill. You can barely hear the bass on "And Justice For All". Jason is a very good player though. I have "Doomsday For The Deciever" by Jason's previous band, Flotsam And Jetsom, and on one track, he rips off quite an impressive solo.

Orion is an awesome track. One of my favourites to jam along to is "The Thing That Should Not Be"

I think he shows himself as quite the versatile player, with a lot of theory and thought behing his playing. The "nice" bit in Orion is one of my favourite bass bits of all times, and its mainly just 5th patterns, but just really nice. And he can also wail with the best as well... the start of For Whom The Bell Tolls... its pure Cliff lovelyness. Talking of Jason, he started doing his own thing around that into in the early 90's, slightly changing the intro, which was good to see.

[quote name='retroman' post='595356' date='Sep 11 2009, 07:52 AM']+1 :)

I always have always thought that they were never the same after Cliff, and I certainly prefer the Cliff era stuff. I always thought that perhaps Jason was a little held back, and certainly had a big set of boots to fill. You can barely hear the bass on "And Justice For All". Jason is a very good player though. I have "Doomsday For The Deciever" by Jason's previous band, Flotsam And Jetsom, and on one track, he rips off quite an impressive solo.

Orion is an awesome track. One of my favourites to jam along to is "The Thing That Should Not Be"[/quote]

Jason is awesome too. That 12'' is legendary