Why become a member? ×

Amps for Busking?

JHBASS

Hello all again,

I was recently in town, when I saw a band busking. My band may be doing something similar as well. They had a full set up, including a amplified bass player. He was going through on of those Roland Cube RX amps (it was off the batteries). I went home did some research and found this costs £160+, and I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. I've found a number of guitar-specified amps, like the Micro Spider or Vox DA 5, do you think these would work? I don't really want effects etc. just the ability to use it with batteries/without a mains power supply. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Cheers,

Josh

My experience of guitar amps is that bass sounds crap through them. I have that small Vox battery amp and it's horrible for bass.

I can't recall how much it was, but I got a Roland Microcube that works on batteries and I absolutely love it! the sounds are really great (in my opinion)

[quote name='JHBASS' post='591625' date='Sep 6 2009, 07:54 PM']Hello all again,

I was recently in town, when I saw a band busking. My band may be doing something similar as well. They had a full set up, including a amplified bass player. He was going through on of those Roland Cube RX amps (it was off the batteries). I went home did some research and found this costs £160+, and I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. I've found a number of guitar-specified amps, like the Micro Spider or Vox DA 5, do you think these would work? I don't really want effects etc. just the ability to use it with batteries/without a mains power supply. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Cheers,

Josh[/quote]

Hello,

I am also looking for a small portable bass amp.
I have seen [url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=practice&ID=222"]this[/url], would be interested to know if anybody else has tried it, has any thoughts?

Thanks

• 5 months later...

halfords power converter. i bought one , they are great charge them up and you can plug your amp into them.
last summer i went buskingand plugged a hundred watt peavey monitor into it ,and busked for up to 4 hours and i never ran out of power.
plugged my bass and a drum machine in to the monitor, excellent.
dont waste your money on one of those five watt busking amps. i paid about £90 for the power converter, check it out.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='742701' date='Feb 12 2010, 12:33 AM']Is that amp either battery-powered or light or cheap or any two of those three?[/quote]

Here you go [post="0"][/post] [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=74648&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=74648&hl=[/url]