Why become a member? ×

How Many is too many?

Bass_Widow

[quote name='guitarnbass' post='63340' date='Sep 20 2007, 10:01 PM']I've only one bass right now, and unless I'm gigging, I don't see the point in having more, fretless/upright maybe if you like that too but anything else is just obsession for a bedroom bassist. If he's just playing at home and not doing anything else with it, you shouldn't put up with it, unless you've got an endless supply of space and money, but I expect you don't lol, in which case there's always gonna be more important, more constructive things to spend money on.[/quote]

My husband has an upright, an acoustic, a fretless...... and a fair few others too....

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='63396' date='Sep 20 2007, 11:45 PM']I've just checked my Ebay account and bass number 46 shall be on its way here soon!

Oh dear![/quote]

wow, i really thought i had a problem owning 6 basses and an upright!
maybe i dont have to sell the eb3 out of guilt!..

...new recordings up on myspace now.. theres a tacoma thundercheif recorded with a basic mic on two of them and some more rocking live glastonbury live stuff from my other band, on a fender p.. check it out!

[quote name='finnbass' post='63549' date='Sep 21 2007, 12:57 PM']I currently have 42 basses, 6 guitars 3 amplification rigs and another three combos. I have a whole room dedicated to the bass guitar.
I don't see anything wrong with that. My wife has more handbags and shoes than Emelda Marcos but I am not on 'Handbagchat' moaning about it.[/quote]

Crikey!!

I'm not one for handbags either :)

I am not moaning, purely enquiring as to when I should be concerned! I've never stopped my husband from purchasing another 'wife', I did however grumble when he purchased one when our daughter was due to be born anyday!! I understand from him that this is one of the most popular of his basses on this forum mind!

Hehehe! :huh:

Actually our daughter is showing real intrest in them. She has asked when daddy going to purchase a pink on. I've told her not to give Daddy and more ideas!

Some of his basses I am sure are pretty much more in value than when he brought them.

Mind you when 'house work' is suggested, it's polishing the basses that is done and 'changing the guard' I am sure you will all know what that means!
:)

[quote name='finnbass' post='63555' date='Sep 21 2007, 01:11 PM']Collecting something as innocent as bass guitars pales into insignificance when compared to what a lot of people might be spending their money on...drugs, women/men, alcohol, gambling etc.

Personally, I regard my basses as just another form of money..they can be sold, swapped etc and they give me pleasure.[/quote]

I'm sort of with you on that. I'm not into the habit of buying and selling stuff for income, but it's nice to know that if i need some quick cash or fancy something different, I can sell one of my instruments to fund whatever's needed (although I did recently think 4 was too many and sold one!!)

My brother collects trainers - vintage/retro/ltd edition stuff mainly. He must have a couple of hundred pairs now, but again some of them have more value than one of my basses and he treats them like a currency

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='63563' date='Sep 21 2007, 01:20 PM']My brother collects trainers - vintage/retro/ltd edition stuff mainly. He must have a couple of hundred pairs now, but again some of them have more value than one of my basses and he treats them like a currency[/quote]

I doubt there's much of a market for "mojo'd" trainers though...

i think the addition of Odour Eaters would make them non-original and possibly affect their value.

he's bought stuff like 70s nikes from jumble sales for a couple of quid, taken them onto the trainer forums and got £200-£250 for them the jammy little bollox. I think his last imac came from buying trainers and stood him at less than 100 quid.

[quote name='Bass_Widow' post='63575' date='Sep 21 2007, 01:28 PM']Anyone want a clue to who I am talking about?[/quote]

I do but I'm worried that I should show solidarity with my fellow bass players and not participate in this. I do want to know who it is (and how many basses!).

I reckon it could be one of the 40+ bass owners. I have a funny feeling it's our Spector devotee.

[quote name='The Funk' post='63589' date='Sep 21 2007, 01:41 PM']I do but I'm worried that I should show solidarity with my fellow bass players and not participate in this. I do want to know who it is (and how many basses!).

I reckon it could be one of the 40+ bass owners. I have a funny feeling it's our Spector devotee.[/quote]

40 basses..... He wouldn't be my husband... only because there wouldn't be anywhere for me to live!!

Nope

[quote name='finnbass' post='63592' date='Sep 21 2007, 01:46 PM']You mean the miserable 'bar steward' hasn't even invested in a 'wife stand'???

I recommend the Hercules Auto-Grab....

:)[/quote]

It's a house not a shop!! :huh:

Please don't give him more ideas.

From what I gather, my husband is seen as a tekkie geek on this group!

[quote name='The Funk' post='63589' date='Sep 21 2007, 01:41 PM']I reckon it could be one of the 40+ bass owners. I have a funny feeling it's our Spector devotee.[/quote]

Nope, not me! :)

Least I hope not..... she shouldn't be on here.... she should be working to pay the rent!! :huh:

[quote name='The Funk' post='63623' date='Sep 21 2007, 02:17 PM']Ah, that's your problem right there. You have a guest room but no current guests, which is basically a room that's not being used properly. Convert it into a bass room (and paint everything white) and that purple bass will fit in nicely.[/quote]

Ahhh see no, we've gone one better than that.... remortgaged the house for an extention. :)

[quote name='finnbass' post='63627' date='Sep 21 2007, 02:22 PM']Now you're giving me ideas :huh:[/quote]

Uh oh!! Hehe! Well I am hoping I can lock him in there with a glass sliding door. He can then be like a fishie in a tank :) .

He treated himself to some head phones so that when he practices he can spend time with me and I won't have to put up with the noise. The only thing is that I now spend my evening quitely trying work out what song he's playing from the harmonic twanging! :huh:

[quote name='finnbass' post='63640' date='Sep 21 2007, 02:51 PM']Get him a copy of this:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Hero-II-Bundle-PS2/dp/B000J12JF4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/026-3886261-2762863?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1190382591&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Hero-II-Bun...2591&sr=8-1[/url]

Then you can both make idiots of yourself together. Seriously...it's great fun :)[/quote]

Is it any good then??

We have a Wii too, it's absolutely brilliant. We crack up whilst playing it. I thought Al was having an affair one night after hearing 'unusual' noises at 3 am. Went down to find him Wii-ing to Tennis like one of the Williams sisters.

Anyone who doesn't have a Wii, I highly recommend it.

We are both gamers (me being a PC gamer ususally) and we adore the Wii.

[quote name='Bass_Widow' post='63550' date='Sep 21 2007, 01:01 PM']Crikey!!

I'm not one for handbags either :)

I am not moaning, purely enquiring as to when I should be concerned! I've never stopped my husband from purchasing another 'wife', I did however grumble when he purchased one when our daughter was due to be born anyday!! I understand from him that this is one of the most popular of his basses on this forum mind![/quote]

Yeah but women like to have handbags and shoes to go with their clothing colors, and handbags/shoes can be very inexpensive and don't take up a lot of space, where's basses...