Why become a member? ×

Going D.I.

hookys6stringbass

I've got a few gigs coming up where traveling light would be an advantage. I'll be taking my English muff'n for my sound and maybe a chorus and delay pedal. Do you guys in the know think that I should get something like the Electro harmonix [url="http://www.ehx.com/products/bass-metaphors"]Bass Metaphors[/url] or something like it for more tonal control??? or will I be ok with my just my set up being D.I.ed

Edited by hookys6stringbass

I would take just a DI, as any further tone shaping past pedals would probably make it difficult for the sound man. That's why DI's are usually taken pre-EQ from the head/combo/pedal. Also, I tried the bass metaphors earlier, and it seemed a bit pointless, as the distortion was barely noticeable, and the EQ didn't seem brilliant, but it may have been a dodgy unit.

Zach

[quote name='Jarhead' post='589776' date='Sep 4 2009, 03:49 PM']I would take just a DI, as any further tone shaping past pedals would probably make it difficult for the sound man. That's why DI's are usually taken pre-EQ from the head/combo/pedal. Also, I tried the bass metaphors earlier, and it seemed a bit pointless, as the distortion was barely noticeable, and the EQ didn't seem brilliant, but it may have been a dodgy unit.

Zach[/quote]

Cheers for that Zach- i've been doing a bit of research abd the Tonebone Bassbone looks bloody good.......

I'd recommend you avoid the EHX Bass metaphors.

Things to look at:

MXR M-80
Radial Bassbone
Sansamp BDDI
BBE Acoustimax

My personal favourite is the DHA DI-EQ. It's a simple DI with a 3 band EQ with selectable mid frequency. It's good value, it looks pretty cool and it's a top quality bit of kit.

[quote name='BeLow' post='589974' date='Sep 4 2009, 06:13 PM']How about this -

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=54978&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=54978&hl=[/url][/quote]

I've already suggested that one, read the post above :). It's a great unit. Highly recommended!

Yeah, DHA kit is really good stuff, and if you don't like it, then you could probably sell it on here no problem. I use an old, busted up Hartke Bass Attack for DI, and every now and again, I use it as an effect because I can get a sound where its like a voice through an amp simulator, that kind of tinny sound, cool, but slightly useless, will probably upgrade soon enough.

Zach

I DI'd tonight and the next band liked it so he did the same...basically his head was on the way out.

I use a Tech 21 Sansamp BDDI....its a coloured Ampeg-ish gritty sound which is pretty good considering all you have to take is a tiny box.

I really like the Aguilar Tonehammer and I intend to get one very soon as its totally different.

Touring with a sansamp is really easy!

Gareth

[quote name='Jarhead' post='590310' date='Sep 5 2009, 01:03 AM']I use an old, busted up Hartke Bass Attack for DI, and every now and again, I use it as an effect because I can get a sound where its like a voice through an amp simulator, that kind of tinny sound, cool, but slightly useless

Zach[/quote]

Quick diversion into off topicness - what settings do you use for that? Sounds fun :)

On topic - I use a Hartke too, which is great but also have a simple passive DI box.

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='590773' date='Sep 5 2009, 04:22 PM']Quick diversion into off topicness - what settings do you use for that? Sounds fun :)

On topic - I use a Hartke too, which is great but also have a simple passive DI box.

Cheers
Alun[/quote]
Lol, well, it's been a while since I used it so the settings may have changed slightly, but it looks like Harmonics 0, Mix all the way to effect, Shape roughly halfway between 320 and 850, Level around half, but I doubt that has too much effect, Bass on 11'o'clock, Treble on 2'o'clock, Brite on full. If that doesn't get it, then there may be something actually messed up in the pedal that is doing it, not sure lol. I think that both switches are on as well. Try it and see, that could be the settings.

Zach

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='590382' date='Sep 5 2009, 09:47 AM']Cheers for the input fellas.... I like the Bassbone as it's got an effects loop and I can add some effects i.e. my valve sound, chorus and delay which are important to my set up....[/quote]

The BassBone looks good on paper, but the switches don't last very long, the eq points are not very bass guitar "friendly".
Further you'd need a "Y" cable for the effects loop.

I had one, sold it long ago and I don't like back.

I own, and have actively gigged with, both the aguilar tone hammer and the Sansamp programmable BDDI.

I love both units and have never had any issues with either (besides the odd battery dying at the worst possible time)
Having the 3 channels on the PBDDI is great it enables to to totally change your sound with a quick stomp, very very versatile too the only little quarm i have with the PBDDI is the mid cut that it always seems to do.

The tone hammer is probably the nicest DI i have used. it is pretty solid and the sound is pretty much the best i have been able to get when going direct, the AGS is pretty nice too but is only really useable at lower gain settings due to the volume jump. my only real issue with the tone hammer is that it is 18v which is just a little annoying.

Hi i was just wondering, can you get away with doing gigs just going through a DI and have no amp? Are people still running amps with these DI's or are they just going straight into front of house with you hearing yourself through fold back? I am new around here and don't have a car and if I could get away with DIing for gigs that would be awesome! Just checking to see if it is acceptable.

Thanks

Yep, no problem with going through a DI for a gig, but if you do, its pretty much a must to have good enough monitors so you can hear yourself. If you do, I would get hold of the best DI you can afford, because you want something reliable that also sounds good, and won't break. If you have the cash, a REDDI is supposed to be good, but there are always other options if you don't like the tone, like the Sansamps, Tech 21's, and many many more. Look around, see what you like, but your going to have to rely on good monitors, or your buggered.

Zach