Why become a member? ×

Thinking of starting/ joining a covers band

tjkennelly

My last band broke up a few months ago and I haven't really been playing much as a result. I've been looking for a while to see if there were any metal originals bands who needed a vocalist but to no avail.

I was thinking about joining another band as a bassist but I don't think I'm musical enough to do so. I can play anything set in front of me but writing music is quite difficult for me. So I've been thinking about joining a covers band; something to keep me busy for now and to get me playing again.

Just wondering if any of you lot had some advice on what sort of setup I should have; if theres anything I should invest in or skills I should start learning.

If you're joining someone else's band try and be open minded, as your idea of what is a good song isn't always shared by your bandmates or the audience. I play some songs I really, really don't like in my covers bands but no-one would ever tell because I try and be professional about it.

If you're joining a covers band:

* Do exactly as you're told for the first couple of months, unless you're asked for your opinion
* Play the bass lines as per the original, or how the last bassist did it, unless you're asked to do otherwise
* Keep any suggestions for new material back until you've absolutely mastered the existing set
* Get a boring old Fender bass. The pointy one in your avatar will scare the old Bobs in the audience.
* If you haven't got one, get a rig that will knock out min 300w [i]clean[/i]
* You mention you're a vocalist. Sharpen up your " Ooooh - Ahhh" backing vocals - always useful.
* Stand at the back in the shadows, exchanging wry glances with the drummer. Keep your feet still. [i]Do not "Rock Hard".[/i]
* [s]Invest in a powder-blue glittery suit and a fat kipper tie for those wedding gigs.[/s]

Edited by skankdelvar

I played in a covers band for a year or two when the first band I was in broke up. I don't regret it even though some of the songs were very painful to mine ears! When I moved here 3 years ago I took some drum lessons, just to keep myself busy musically. I think any kind of band activity is a good idea to make sure you don't lose your love of playing. In terms of setup, I agree with the above.

[quote name='tjkennelly' post='589155' date='Sep 3 2009, 09:52 PM']....I was thinking about joining another band as a bassist but I don't think I'm musical enough to do so. I can play anything set in front of me but writing music is quite difficult for me. So I've been thinking about joining a covers band; something to keep me busy for now and to get me playing again....[/quote]
I think we are assuming your covers band will be towards the charts end of the scale? If so, you don't need to read music. A chord chart and a listen to the original record will get you through most cover band gigs. As others have said; sing, play don't rock and keep it simple. Your best asset should be your singing.