Why become a member? ×

volume change for slapping

exmando

On the rare occasions when a bit of slap is called for I find I have to quickly adjust the volume output of my bass to a lower level to avoid overdriving
This is quite tricky - and I wonder if I should be using either a pedal or maybe some kind of compressor/limiter to achieve my goal - does anybody have any suggestions? - I don't generally have much time to set-up in a gig and I am attracted to a simple stomp box which can be pre-set and left

I actually have the reverse problem, it sounds quiter when i slap! I have quite a mid-heavy sound so some of this is lost when slapping.

I used to use a mini volume boost pedal (like a Catalinbread) but now use the clean channel on my MXR M80 for a volume boost, it also has a 3 band eq too. I'd imagine you could use it to lessen the volume, although a decent compressor sounds like a good plan

[quote name='exmando' post='585582' date='Aug 31 2009, 08:32 AM']On the rare occasions when a bit of slap is called for I find I have to quickly adjust the volume output of my bass to a lower level to avoid overdriving
This is quite tricky - and I wonder if I should be using either a pedal or maybe some kind of compressor/limiter to achieve my goal - does anybody have any suggestions? - I don't generally have much time to set-up in a gig and I am attracted to a simple stomp box which can be pre-set and left[/quote]
The simplest solution is set the gain of your amp playing slap.

Alternatively, you can use [url="http://www.ehx.com/products/signal-pad"]this[/url].

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='585728' date='Aug 31 2009, 12:56 PM']The simplest solution is set the gain of your amp playing slap.

Alternatively, you can use [url="http://www.ehx.com/products/signal-pad"]this[/url].[/quote]

That's probably what I need - at £35 it's worth a punt
Thanks !

[quote name='xgsjx' post='585844' date='Aug 31 2009, 04:45 PM']If it's mid song that you change styles, then I was gonna suggest a volume pedal, but that EHX thingy looks to be the biz.
If it's not mid song then I'm sure the volume knob on the bass could be used to good effect :rolleyes:[/quote]
It's generally mid song so the volume knob is a bit too random :) - have ordered an EHX so will see how we get on
Thanks for the input

I made one of those for our guitarist to use for solos. All it is is a 1 meg pot with a cap across the lugs to preserve the tone at lower levels. You can use it as a cut or boost, simply a vol pot in a remote footswitch really. Its about £10 parts and 15 minutes work. If anyones interested I could post the schematic but theres really nothing to it.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='586508' date='Sep 1 2009, 01:50 PM']Surely slapping without compression needs to be REALLY loud to be effective?[/quote]

It's 'just' a question of getting your touch right. Easier said than done - I certainly remember fussing about footswitchable EQ, compression, etc to try and get my slap tone happening. Nowadays I just let my hands get on with it! Effects can be a great tool for getting the sound you want but sometimes it really helps to be forced to go without so your brain/hands have to work out how to get the sound without any assistance.

Alex

Hmmmm, I don't play that much anymore, but at band practice last night I got to have a go on the bass with my pedalboard, and the slap tone was amazing. That's some compression blended with some OD limited and blended with some clean. So much punch, but the hard attack of the slap gets eaten by the OD and limiting which makes it bite loads without the peaks, which in turn means you can actually hear the notes and note just clunk clank clunk clank.

I guess if you're into clean sounds then you should be able to get the tone with just touch control alone, although that must take a fair ammount of practice!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='587534' date='Sep 2 2009, 02:43 PM']Hmmmm, I don't play that much anymore, but at band practice last night I got to have a go on the bass with my pedalboard, and the slap tone was amazing. That's some compression blended with some OD limited and blended with some clean. So much punch, but the hard attack of the slap gets eaten by the OD and limiting which makes it bite loads without the peaks, which in turn means you can actually hear the notes and note just clunk clank clunk clank.

I guess if you're into clean sounds then you should be able to get the tone with just touch control alone, although that must take a fair ammount of practice![/quote]

I'm a bear of little brain when it comes to fx etc - my usual policy is to wind the treble up as high as it goes and I find I need to slap pretty hard to get the effect I am looking for ! - my EHX pedal arrived today and I'll road test it at the weekend and feedback next week

[quote name='cheddatom' post='587534' date='Sep 2 2009, 02:43 PM']So much punch, but the hard attack of the slap gets eaten by the OD and limiting which makes it bite loads without the peaks, which in turn means you can actually hear the notes and note just clunk clank clunk clank.

I guess if you're into clean sounds then you should be able to get the tone with just touch control alone, although that must take a fair ammount of practice![/quote]

The biggest mistake made in the hunt for a slap sound is insufficient midrange - slapping inherently produces more top and bottom than fingerstyle. Then it's a question of adjusting where you hit the string and how hard you hit it to get the bright balance of bottom, mid and top - I often slap between the pickups, not up by the end of the neck. Having a bass that speaks quickly in the lows and has plenty of midrange resonance makes a huge difference - that doesn't mean an expensive bass, just one that's got a stiff neck and a lively body.

This might seem strange if you're not used to thinking this way, but I will play the same part quite differently depending on the acoustics and vibe of a given gig/venue/rehearsal - I might go from fingerstyle to thumb plucking, or I might slap nearer the neck, or pluck in a totally different place or mute more or less. I don't have a load of 'preset' tones for given songs/riffs, I have rough starting points and then I'll adjust depending on the sound. It's (almost) all in the hands! :)

Alex

[quote name='cheddatom' post='587595' date='Sep 2 2009, 03:54 PM']God that IS weird!! What sort of music are you playing?[/quote]

See signature or [url="http://www.myspace.com/thereluctantmusic"]http://www.myspace.com/thereluctantmusic[/url]

I'd do the same with anything though. Main reference bassists for me are Geezer, Jaco, Jamerson, Family Man, Larry Graham, Willie Weeks, Tim Commerford. Recently started using effects again - Bass Blowtorch - GRRRAAARRR!!! :)

Alex