Why become a member? ×

Hohner Professional

Basska

I've got a real oldschool Hohner Jazz Bass but I don't actually know anything about it
It's got a plate saying Hohner Professional C103523 on the back and a maple neck with a maple fretboard.

Anybody able to shine any light on this subject for me?
It sounds beautiful aswell if that helps haha

Chris

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='585332' date='Aug 30 2009, 07:34 PM']The Hohner basses made by Cort in Korea are pretty d@*n good.

G.[/quote]
+1 to the man in the seasonal hat. The early Hohner Professionals are Corts and from the C-suffix serial I'd suspect this is one.

Pics would be good. :)

Jon.

I played a Hohner Professional B Bass V (5 string) for years. It was a great bass (cost me about £350 new in the early 1990's (maybe 1992)) and I've got no plans to get rid of it anytime soon (although it's retired now because I bought a custom Shuker).

Just for reference the serial number on mine is C100628. It has both active and passive pick-up modes although some active feedback at a gig fried the pre-amp.

However, all of that probable isn't that much help to you as it's probably not the bass you have :)

[quote name='EntropicLqd' post='589111' date='Sep 3 2009, 09:00 PM']I played a Hohner Professional B Bass V (5 string) for years. It was a great bass (cost me about £350 new in the early 1990's (maybe 1992)) and I've got no plans to get rid of it anytime soon (although it's retired now because I bought a custom Shuker).

Just for reference the serial number on mine is C100628. It has both active and passive pick-up modes although some active feedback at a gig fried the pre-amp.

However, all of that probable isn't that much help to you as it's probably not the bass you have :)[/quote]

Having replaced my pre in my B Bass V with a John East U-Retro, I have the original sitting in a box, if you would like it?

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='589308' date='Sep 4 2009, 01:12 AM']Interesting. I've got some cash aside and decided to upgrade my old trusted B-Bass IV's electronics (the weak point, although they are decent as is). I'm going for wizards and a Noll TCM3 PM B2026 :)

Anyone actually tried EMGs in there? That's also an option, albeit expensive! The B-Bass is a great little thing.[/quote]

Mine had EMG Selects which went to Ou7shined (I think) & he put them in something decent & really liked them(!).

I managed to pick up a pair of Joe Barden Twin Rails from another Basschat member, and those, along with the John East have made the B V into a class act.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='589430' date='Sep 4 2009, 09:54 AM']Mine had EMG Selects which went to Ou7shiined (I think) & he put them in something decent & really liked them(!).

I managed to pick up a pair of Joe Barden Twin Rails from another Basschat member, and those, along with the John East have made the B V into a class act.

G.[/quote]

Have you any idea what the pickups and preamp are in the Hohner bitsa fretless i bought off you? They're being replaced by passives and a piezo bridge so i'm probably gonna give the whole lot away

EDIT: Also what model was the body originally taken from? Ta

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='589611' date='Sep 4 2009, 01:00 PM']Have you any idea what the pickups and preamp are in the Hohner bitsa fretless i bought off you? They're being replaced by passives and a piezo bridge so i'm probably gonna give the whole lot away

EDIT: Also what model was the body originally taken from? Ta[/quote]

They were the originals, I believe. I certainly have no knowledge of the pre being changed, or even what it is. It is completely different from the pre in my Hohner B Bass V. The B has the guts of the pre in a small rectangular box held in a double battery box beside the 9V battery. If I remember correctly all the guts on the J are in the cavity.

The pickups are essentially license-built EMG Selects.

The body is a Hohner Professional JJ Bass, 2 piece in stained maple. It's entirely possible that it too was built by Cort in Korea.

Geoff

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='589648' date='Sep 4 2009, 01:36 PM']They were the originals, I believe. I certainly have no knowledge of the pre being changed, or even what it is. It is completely different from the pre in my Hohner B Bass V. The B has the guts of the pre in a small rectangular box held in a double battery box beside the 9V battery. If I remember correctly all the guts on the J are in the cavity.

The pickups are essentially license-built EMG Selects.

The body is a Hohner Professional JJ Bass, 2 piece in stained maple. It's entirely possible that it too was built by Cort in Korea.

Geoff[/quote]

Cheers Geoff!

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='589783' date='Sep 4 2009, 03:58 PM']This pre has gone. No longer on offer 4/9/09.

G.[/quote]
Bummer. I really should check this site while I'm at work. Ah well, it's probably gone to a better home as I almost never used the pre-amp in it anyway as I liked the passive sound a lot.

[quote name='EntropicLqd' post='589960' date='Sep 4 2009, 05:58 PM']Bummer. I really should check this site while I'm at work. Ah well, it's probably gone to a better home as I almost never used the pre-amp in it anyway as I liked the passive sound a lot.[/quote]

Lemmywinks might be parting with his in the medium term.....

G.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I will revive this zombie.

I've got an opportunity to buy Hohner JJ Professional bass, but I found internet to be not very helpful in search for some more details about the bass. She has obviously maple/maple neck and unknown body with flame maple top (maybe just a veneer), two jazz pickups labeled Hohner, gold hardware and no visible serial number (maybe on neck plate, but can't be sure).

Can anyone tell me what is this? Here are some pictures of actual bass:

Edited by kurcatovium

If you put a pic of the headstock it might help. Ive got a Hohner j bass pro (C suffix number) and the head has a very distinctive 'groove' along the top edge.

[attachment=76344:Image007.jpg]

A

Edited by apa

Looks a lovely bass to me, aesthetically at least. Depends what you want to know, it's likely mid-80s to mid-90s, probably Korean, it's active, I'd expect the controls are the same as the Jack & later versions of the B2A - 2x volume, and coaxial treble/bass. Can't be 100% sure from the pic but it looks like a single-piece neck rather than a glued-on board - nice! Does want a setup, though.

The serial is probably on the neckplate - these are hefty cast metal with the Hohner Pro logo & stamped on serial number. A C prefix will almost certainly mean Cort in Korea, sorry but I don't know how to date these from serials.

Anyway, in my experience the Hohner Pro range is consistently very good, & if this bass is any sort of bargain I doubt you'd go far wrong.

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin