Why become a member? ×

Jaydee Basses

Sonic_Groove

Thanks Doc. I think I will take the brass nut. And yes, I will order one MKI model. I send some post put haven't got any answer yet. I hope they will answer soon and I can put my order in. This is such a good opportunity to have a real good bass with really nice price. There is nothing special in my order but I take the neck binding too. I think it doesn't get any better than this if I want a good slap bass.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='709368' date='Jan 11 2010, 08:54 PM']The standard nut is white plastic I think, the brass roller nut has two tiny ball bearings inset into it in the slot for the G string - I used to own Mark King's red JD (the one on the Live at Wembley dvd) and that had such a nut - nice for doing the string bends behind the nut![/quote]
My mark 1 has a plastic nut but not "any old plastic". It's PTFE, which is what they coat non stick pans with. VERY slippery!
John can be quite a high tech guy :)

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, here's a couple of pics of my bass. I have had plenty over the years, but this bass is the best I have ever owned. It has the real old school Jaydee sound, and feel, and when John commissioned this bass for me, he and I went the extra mile to get things 'vintage'.
For me, it has to be the pick-ups. I was lucky enough to get mine made with some really old magnets that he had stashed away, and then he made the pick-ups using the old jigs, and wound them like he used to when he first started making. Believe me, it makes a big difference. Saying that, I have had Jaydee's with the newer ones and they still sound great. Also, as Nick say's ['allo m8], pick-up placement, body woods and body thickness also contribute to the sound.

[quote name='slacker42uk' post='762287' date='Mar 2 2010, 09:29 PM']Hi guys, here's a couple of pics of my bass. I have had plenty over the years, but this bass is the best I have ever owned. It has the real old school Jaydee sound, and feel, and when John commissioned this bass for me, he and I went the extra mile to get things 'vintage'.
For me, it has to be the pick-ups. I was lucky enough to get mine made with some really old magnets that he had stashed away, and then he made the pick-ups using the old jigs, and wound them like he used to when he first started making. Believe me, it makes a big difference. Saying that, I have had Jaydee's with the newer ones and they still sound great. Also, as Nick say's ['allo m8], pick-up placement, body woods and body thickness also contribute to the sound.[/quote]

Just to add, Paul's bass is the closest I've ever come to one that feels/sounds just like the famous #00002 bass that I used to own! Paul - did you try and call me yesterday mate? Am out till late tonight so txt me whens the best time to call m8!

Nick

[quote name='yorick' post='763073' date='Mar 3 2010, 04:05 PM']Is anyone welcome here? I had John build me a copy of a Warwick thumb in '93, basically because i couldn't afford the real thing, and John could build one to my specs at a third of the price. G'wan, it's a "proper" Jaydee. :)[/quote]
I remember that bass! It had a neck-thru right?

[quote name='slacker42uk' post='763094' date='Mar 3 2010, 04:19 PM']I remember that bass! It had a neck-thru right?[/quote]

Certainly did. Maple and walnut laminate neck, ebony board and mahogany body. There's a story attatched to it as well!!!

[quote name='yorick' post='763097' date='Mar 3 2010, 04:23 PM']Certainly did. Maple and walnut laminate neck, ebony board and mahogany body. There's a story attatched to it as well!!![/quote]
Cool! Here's a dodgy pic of me in the 80's with my first series 1! I played a lot of gigs with that bass and had it for a long time. I regret selling it, but at the time I was working at Monkey Biz in Romford, and I pretty much could have any stock bass I wanted, so I went through a lot of basses. Funny thing now is that I have a phobia of music shops and avoid them at all costs!

Not surprised after working at Monkey Biz.

That's where I bought my Jaydee too, might have even been you who served me!

Actually liked the shop, seemed to be a players' shop but also surrounded by tales of dodgy dealing etc. Stuff I got from there was great, still got the Jaydee, its still wonderful after ~25 years.

[quote name='yorick' post='763073' date='Mar 3 2010, 04:05 PM']Is anyone welcome here? I had John build me a copy of a Warwick thumb in '93, basically because i couldn't afford the real thing, and John could build one to my specs at a third of the price. G'wan, it's a "proper" Jaydee. :)[/quote]

Really? John would do a custom job cheaper than the real thing? Amazing! I wonder if he still does?

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='584878' date='Aug 30 2009, 01:28 AM']Pickup placement - the Series I basses had the neck p/up very close to the end of the neck. The Series II Mark King basses (not the Roadie model) normally had the `funk groove' between the end of the neck and the front p/up - hence the p/ups were more closely spaced than the Series I. However, there are a number of Series II MK models out there that dont have the funk groove! There are also some Series II models with the same p/up spacing as the Series I models! Confusing eh!?[/quote]

Hello,

I have a 1986 Series II with the 'funk groove' but I have never particularly liked the groove, does anyone know if it would be possible to have such a thing removed/filled in, or is this a major structural thing? I like the Series II in all other ways, it plays like a dream ...

Any info welcome,

Aidan

[quote name='worldmachine' post='789827' date='Mar 29 2010, 02:56 PM']Hello,

I have a 1986 Series II with the 'funk groove' but I have never particularly liked the groove, does anyone know if it would be possible to have such a thing removed/filled in, or is this a major structural thing? I like the Series II in all other ways, it plays like a dream ...

Any info welcome,

Aidan[/quote]

Yes, it's possible. I have seen a Series II with the groove filled. Looked a bit odd as whoever did it had not tried to match the laminates, so there was a contrasting strip of wood at 90 degress to the neck laminates. I would imagine it would cost a bit though since you would be looking at a partial refin as well. Give John a call or send him an e-mail.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='598258' date='Sep 14 2009, 10:07 AM']Do you mean something like this old girl...

Its being refinished in the same red as the bass featured on the first page of the JD website - it should be done soon - can't wait to get it back![/quote]

Hey Doc, what do the mini-toggles do or what are they setup for?
Are they coil taps?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='GeeCee' post='789929' date='Mar 29 2010, 08:57 PM']Yes, it's possible. I have seen a Series II with the groove filled. Looked a bit odd as whoever did it had not tried to match the laminates, so there was a contrasting strip of wood at 90 degress to the neck laminates. I would imagine it would cost a bit though since you would be looking at a partial refin as well. Give John a call or send him an e-mail.[/quote]

Thanks for your reply, sorry for not getting back sooner.

I have emailed and I am just awaiting a reply, I might phone too...

Best wishes, Aidan

• 7 months later...

[quote name='dafonky' post='1048425' date='Dec 5 2010, 06:10 PM']hi all

i have a very old original mark king bass, with original case....ser nr. 0004 a supernatural one, with round dot inlays ,played by mark king on different videos ( out of sight out of mind ) , and live..... :)[/quote]

It would be great to see some pics of the mark king bass....

Best wishes
Aidan