Why become a member? ×

Jaydee Basses

Sonic_Groove

As a reaction to some optimistic S/H Jaydee prices here is a link to John's current price list:

[url="http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/bass_price_list.html"]http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/bass_price_list.html[/url]

Ok there maybe a waiting list --- but they seem like bargains!

B

Edited by Sonic_Groove

I had this Jaydee build for me by Johnny Diggins a few years ago.
These are very fine basses with that beautiful distinctive Jaydee tone.
I had some features of the GA24 on this bass.
Like the string anchors and a custom made brass Jaydee logo inlay in the headstock
I sold this one 3 years ago and I regret it sometimes...but Status and Clover Slapper basses make things bearable :)
I owned a Jaydee some 20 years ago, the necks were very "unstable" then.
Now this problem is taken care of by using a stronger truss rod.
Here's a pic of my Jaydee bass

[quote name='johnbob' post='584301' date='Aug 29 2009, 09:01 AM']I owned a Jaydee some 20 years ago, the necks were very "unstable" then.[/quote]
Same here. I had a lovely Supernatural (before it became the Mark King model) with the planet & UFO inlays, bound neck & headstock & inlaid JD logo.
I ended up getting rid of it as the neck was a bloody nightmare - I swear I spent more time adjusting the trussrod than I did playing the bloody thing.
To be honest I found it to be a bit of a one trick pony too; it was great for slapping but sounded terrible for anything else.

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' post='583896' date='Aug 28 2009, 07:38 PM']As a reaction to some optimistic S/H Jaydee prices here is a link to John's current price list:

[url="http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/bass_price_list.html"]http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/bass_price_list.html[/url]

Ok there maybe a waiting list --- but they seem like bargains!

B[/quote]
Thanks mate, I now officially have severe Jaydee-GAS. :rolleyes:
Series I, II or III will be a tough one though... Pity they don't explain the differences between them, the Series II and III seem pretty identical to my dull eyes... Oh well, Basschat to the rescue! :)

The other day, due to the optimistic sale thread, I was looking for prices at [url="http://www.jaydeeguitars.com/index.php"]http://www.jaydeeguitars.com/index.php[/url] but they didn't list any. Strange they have two websites eh?

[quote name='RhysP' post='584458' date='Aug 29 2009, 08:28 AM']Same here. I had a lovely Supernatural (before it became the Mark King model) with the planet & UFO inlays, bound neck & headstock & inlaid JD logo.
I ended up getting rid of it as the neck was a bloody nightmare - I swear I spent more time adjusting the trussrod than I did playing the bloody thing.
To be honest I found it to be a bit of a one trick pony too; it was great for slapping but sounded terrible for anything else.[/quote]

I feel your pain regarding the truss rod, however, I had read that John makes upgrades (if you plan to replace the fingerboard) by using the option of carbon fiber rods to strengthen the neck. If I was having a new one built, that would be the way go. The reason the neck moves around so much is because of the laminates used during the neck construction 'give' as the woods flex with changes in temps, humidity,etc. If the neck was all maple or of another solid piece of wood then that neck moving around wouldn't be an issue. Also if there was one thing I'd change about the Jaydee active circuit is that I'd use a variable pan selector knob as opposed to a 3-way fixed. Who knows what sounds you could possibly get.

[quote name='johnbob' post='584301' date='Aug 29 2009, 04:01 AM']I had this Jaydee build for me by Johnny Diggins a few years ago.
These are very fine basses with that beautiful distinctive Jaydee tone.
I had some features of the GA24 on this bass.
Like the string anchors and a custom made brass Jaydee logo inlay in the headstock
I sold this one 3 years ago and I regret it sometimes...but Status and Clover Slapper basses make things bearable :rolleyes:
I owned a Jaydee some 20 years ago, the necks were very "unstable" then.
Now this problem is taken care of by using a stronger truss rod.
Here's a pic of my Jaydee bass
[/quote]
A gem of a bass my friend. It looks very Alembic. I love coco bolo. :) Does the teardrop string anchors kill the sound at all as opposed to the round keyhole type?

[quote name='BB3000S' date='Aug 29 2009, 04:53 PM' post='584793']
Thanks mate, I now officially have severe Jaydee-GAS. :)
Series I, II or III will be a tough one though... Pity they don't explain the differences between them, the Series II and III seem pretty identical to my dull eyes... Oh well.

I thought I was the only one wondering that very question. What is the difference between the series II and III models? Anybody? Anybody?

[quote name='paul h' post='584289' date='Aug 29 2009, 08:23 AM']Now I have GAS for a Roadie II.

Thanks!

:lol:[/quote]

[quote name='BB3000S' post='584793' date='Aug 29 2009, 09:53 PM']Thanks mate, I now officially have severe Jaydee-GAS. :)[/quote]

LOL Sorry about that guys :rolleyes:

I think the series ii v iii thing is a slight difference in body size -- but hopefully someone who knows fully will be along to explain.

The necks on the old ones don't move so much if you use 45's & this also changes the "only good for slapping" thing.

Anyone tried Flats on a Jaydee?

B

Edited by Sonic_Groove

Hallo!

The Mark King and Roadie models (plus the Session, Studio and Video basses) are/were available in three different body sizes. The Series I is the biggest, the Series II is a slimmer shape (still quite `long' in the body) and the Series III is a scaled down Series I. The GA24 models are a different shape again. All the basses share the same electronics and pickups apart of course from the Roadies which are available as either one or two p/up passive or active models, and of course, special order instruments.

Pickup placement - the Series I basses had the neck p/up very close to the end of the neck. The Series II Mark King basses (not the Roadie model) normally had the `funk groove' between the end of the neck and the front p/up - hence the p/ups were more closely spaced than the Series I. However, there are a number of Series II MK models out there that dont have the funk groove! There are also some Series II models with the same p/up spacing as the Series I models! Confusing eh!?

The Series III shape did not have the groove and the front p/up was further away from the end of the neck (similar to the Series II). Bryan (Mowac) has got a pic of three of his JD basses together, one being a white Series III bodied Roadie, plus his Classic Series I and MK Series II - can you post it here mate? You will then be able to see the differences!

Meant to say, you could have the following Roadie models - the I and II in this case refers to one or two pickups:

Series I, II or III body size: Roadie I - 1 pickup passive, Roadie II - 2 p/up passive, Roadie IA - 1 p/up active EQ, Roadie IIA - 2 p/up active EQ. All availalbe fretted or fretless and he has built 5 string versions (I had a fretless 5 string with a Series I body).

Here's some pics from the net of the three body sizes:

Series I in pearl pink:

Series II with funk groove. Note the narrower body width - the top cutaway is much narrower than the Series I

Series III in pearl blue - scaled down version of the Series I

Nick

"Bryan (Mowac) has got a pic of three of his JD basses together, one being a white Series III bodied Roadie, plus his Classic Series I and MK Series II - can you post it here mate? You will then be able to see the differences!

Nick"

As requested, just what the doctor ordered:

Edited by Mowac

Thanks for sorting that out Doc! That groove looks pretty cool, does it really make poping more comfortable?

Amazing collection there Mowac, they all look smashing. Next to the other two the Series I looks pretty sturdy - is it somewhat like a Jazz Bass weight / body size wise?

Just out of interest, I was wondering if anybody on here bought a secondhand JD Supernatural from the Bass Centre in Wapping - I part exchanged my one in May 1989 and I wondered if it ended up being owned by anybody on here.

It has a cherry finish, bound neck & headstock, ebony fingerboard, UFO/Planet inlays. I can't remember the serial number but I think it was a palindrome (reads the same backwards as forwards).

[quote name='BB3000S' post='584940' date='Aug 30 2009, 03:45 AM']Thanks for sorting that out Doc! That groove looks pretty cool, does it really make poping more comfortable?

Amazing collection there Mowac, they all look smashing. Next to the other two the Series I looks pretty sturdy - is it somewhat like a Jazz Bass weight / body size wise?[/quote]

The funk groove is pretty much for looks. Other bass manufacturers have there own variation of that design. The Status MKII has what they call a "Slap Ramp" in which the end of the neck tapers down to the body of the bass at the last fret. The Jaydee's purpose is to be a recessed area so that you don't grind away at the finish when popping and it allows more room for the index finger to get between the string and body. IMHO John Diggins should have made this wider than it is.

As far as weight, The Jaydee Series 1 weighs in at 12 pounds,4 oz. It's a beast. I'm 6'1" tall and so a bass this size looks great hanging on me. Mark King is only 5',7" and that is why his Jaydees looked bigger on him. I have seen some very impressive Roadies that were in a Series 1 size and looked remarkable. The only way a Fender would come close to the weight of a Series 1 Jaydee is if the Fender body was made of ash. I couldn't imagine a Jaydee Series 1 made from ash. I'd be like ,"My back!....I've pulled my back!" :)

[quote name='purpleblob' post='583954' date='Aug 28 2009, 02:40 PM']Wow, those prices are very good. I often look out for a good example of a Supernatural, but at those prices I could buy one new.[/quote]
Precisely mate........I've seen Jaydee MKII's on Ebay that weren't in the best of shape and they were asking above the cost of a brand new one.

[quote name='Mowac' post='584892' date='Aug 30 2009, 02:33 AM']"Bryan (Mowac) has got a pic of three of his JD basses together, one being a white Series III bodied Roadie, plus his Classic Series I and MK Series II - can you post it here mate? You will then be able to see the differences!

Nick"

As requested, just what the doctor ordered:[/quote]

Thanks for posting that pic Bryan!

Cheers!

Nick

[quote name='Mowac' post='584826' date='Aug 29 2009, 11:17 PM']A gem of a bass my friend. It looks very Alembic. I love coco bolo. :) Does the teardrop string anchors kill the sound at all as opposed to the round keyhole type?[/quote]

Hi I agree, it looks like cocobolo.
But it is ash with a dark grain in a dark glossy finish.
The seperate string anchors are of no influence on the sound.
The strings even tend to sing less when playing.
I think this is due to the fact that the 2/duo string holders always give some of the vibration to the other string your not playing.
:rolleyes:

[quote name='Mowac' post='585191' date='Aug 30 2009, 04:15 PM']Precisely mate........I've seen Jaydee MKII's on Ebay that weren't in the best of shape and they were asking above the cost of a brand new one.[/quote]

I blame you all ! :) I've just put a deposit down/ordered a Jaydee Mark King III.

Edited by purpleblob