Why become a member? ×

Iceni Zoot Chaser in the making

Changles

Simply because from a quick look around on this forum there isn't enough of Mike Walsh's great work.

So, I'm getting a Chaser from Iceni/Zoot! If you don't know what it is click here; [url="http://www.zootbass.co.uk/2-1.html"]http://www.zootbass.co.uk/2-1.html[/url]
I'm looking forward to it. This is only my fourth bass so progressing into the world of handmade basses for the first time. I like to think the Chaser is a good one to start with! Here are the specs that Mike sent me a few weeks ago:

Zoot Chaser 4 string 34" scale 24 frets.

Neck:
Three piece neck constructed of Bubinga and canadian "Rock Maple" (flat headstock)
Fitted with pro truss rod.
40mm at nut.
Shallow D/C profile to rear of neck.

Finger board:
Birdseye Canadian maple
24 medium size nickle/silver bass frets.
Ivoriod Top nut
Compounded radius
Black marker dots to face and edge.

Body:
One piece American swampash cut and turned, with a quilted Honey Maple bookmatched top, divided by Ebony black venners. Contoured for forearm and belly.

Finish:
Waxed/oil satin to body and neck

Pickups:
1 X MM Seymour Duncan bassline (four core). Bridge
1 X Hot Jazz Seymour Duncan bassline (two core). Neck

Controls:
2 X volume
1 X tone
1 X MM Bi-tone mini switch in chrome
1 X barrel Jack in chrome
3 X Solid brass (chrome plated) dome knobs.

Hardware:
Gotoh EB70 machine heads in chrome 2+2
Iceni string thru' and/or top load sustain bridge in chrome
String thru' ferrels to rear of body in chrome
Schaller strap locks in chrome.

Case:
A hard case to be supplied.

I've asked for a passive one, as you may have noticed, because I am naturally disposed towards worrying, so whatever I can do to make sure as little goes wrong as possible at a gig, (for example, dying batteries) I will do it! Also getting it passive took a chunk out of the price, which I really like!

I'm a sucker for a good deal.

And here is the first of a batch of pictures that Mike sent me today. I live up North and Iceni are in Essex, so I can't pop into the factory to see how it's going too easily. So there should be quite a few more pics on their way in the coming weeks/months!

Here is a block of wood with my name on it. If you can't read it, it says "Charles Eager". I hope you feel you're getting to know me by this stage!

I'll post the other pictures in a moment when I upload them onto photobucket.

Here is the same block of wood from a different angle. At least, I'm pretty sure it's the same!

There's Mike, doing what he does best, I'm guessing.

Here is the book matched quilted honey maple top that is going on top of the swampash body. I think it looks amazing. And of course the MM humbucker

Swampash body there. I love the Zoot Bass shape! It's very.. elegant.

Jesus, I've never seen Mike's studio looking so squeaky clean; it's amazing what our Polish brothers and sisters have accomplished in their brief time on our small island - and indeed, in the darker corners of Essex itself! And can you have a quiet word with Mike concerning the breach of Health and Safety by the wearing of sandals while operating heavy machinery in a hazardous environment. :)

Edited by Spoombung

[quote name='Spoombung' post='580951' date='Aug 26 2009, 08:39 AM']Jesus, I've never seen Mike's studio looking so squeaky clean; it's amazing what our Polish brothers and sisters have accomplished in their brief time on our small island - and indeed, in the darker corners of Essex itself! And can you have a quiet word with Mike concerning the breach of Health and Safety by the wearing of sandals while operating heavy machinery in a hazardous environment. :)[/quote]

Yah, I noticed he is in summer garb there isn't he! Maybe it gets hot in there.. make allowances for the guy. By the way Spoombung, I hope you don't mind that I stole the exact woods from the bass Mike made for you! Oh, he was enthusing to me about how beautiful your bass was, and I checked out your build diary and I just had to request those woods!

[quote name='lee4' post='581796' date='Aug 26 2009, 07:37 PM']I've got a Zoot cab,so now I've got GAS for a matching bass!Chaser in Vintage White please![/quote]

How are the Zoot cabs? Awesome? I wouldn't be surprised.

And yes I will post my finished chaser up on that thread, thanks MacDaddy!

[quote name='Changles' post='582021' date='Aug 26 2009, 11:23 PM']Yah, I noticed he is in summer garb there isn't he! Maybe it gets hot in there.. make allowances for the guy. By the way Spoombung, I hope you don't mind that I stole the exact woods from the bass Mike made for you! Oh, he was enthusing to me about how beautiful your bass was, and I checked out your build diary and I just had to request those woods![/quote]

Of course I don't mind - I'm looking forward to the commission fee Mike promised to pay me if he got any business from my build thread. :)

[quote name='Changles' post='582021' date='Aug 26 2009, 11:23 PM']Yah, I noticed he is in summer garb there isn't he! Maybe it gets hot in there.. make allowances for the guy. By the way Spoombung, I hope you don't mind that I stole the exact woods from the bass Mike made for you! Oh, he was enthusing to me about how beautiful your bass was, and I checked out your build diary and I just had to request those woods!

How are the Zoot cabs? Awesome? I wouldn't be surprised.

And yes I will post my finished chaser up on that thread, thanks MacDaddy![/quote]
The cabs are featherlite in weight,Mike Tyson heavy in sound!I use a 2x12.

[quote name='crez5150' post='583607' date='Aug 28 2009, 02:57 PM']The comments above are very unfair on Mike..... if he owes for advertising here then thats down to the Admin to sort out...... not for folk here to snipe at!!![/quote]

Might get him pay up though?

FWIW my Zoot is ace, awesome bass. Mike obviously knows how to make excellent instruments, he seems a little bit lacksadasical on the business side of things.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='crez5150' post='614195' date='Oct 1 2009, 08:18 PM']I saw this bass today in the spray booth..... the Neck and body are fantastic..... the fretboard is unbelievable..... this is going to be an awesome bass!!!!![/quote]
Thank you, Crez, you've made my day!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, remember me?
So, because of a few time-consuming complications Mike was forced to crack on with making this bass without taking the time out to take pictures, but here are a few of it very near completion that he sent me the other day. Basically he just needs to add a string bar, carve the nut and do the final set up!

Ah, beautiful! I cannot wait to play this bass!