Why become a member? ×

Old dogs and new tricks

ironside1966

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='580300' date='Aug 25 2009, 02:56 PM']Yeah I think it's possible, why wouldn't it be? I think there would be a lot of frustrating times in between though.[/quote]

Dave Marks has an excellent YouTube video on pretty much exactly this topic:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df0sFG7FqSQ"]Youtube vid[/url]

Yes depending to a certain extent on age and natural ability, age because both your ability to learn and to move slow down as you get older, and natural ability because that can define just how much headroom you have to improve (and if you're very good already, there's also not a whole lot of headroom for improvement).

Some factors that might need tro be entered into the equation are:

Your ability to set realistic performance goals
Your willingness to work hard
Your willingness to seek tuition and related learning experiences and your ability to respond to these
Your willingness to take and to respond to feedback from others
Your objectivity as to just how good you are

Easy :)

Some good advice here, I do like Dave Marks I think he explains things well

I have seem countless bass players in my time many of the good even great , but I am talking about those really exceptional ones that make you go Wow
I think it must be a natural talent that they have which must show itself earlier
is hard work and dedication enough otherwise there would be more players like that.

[quote name='ironside1966' post='578566' date='Aug 23 2009, 09:16 PM']Old dogs and new tricks

Although I am a firm believer in you never stop learning.

Is it possible for someone who has been playing along time to go from a good standard to a really high stranded?[/quote]
A new trick might be playing a different genre that you have not entertained before.

[quote name='Beedster' post='580355' date='Aug 25 2009, 03:52 PM']Yes depending to a certain extent on age and natural ability, age because both your ability to learn and to move slow down as you get older, and natural ability because that can define just how much headroom you have to improve (and if you're very good already, there's also not a whole lot of headroom for improvement).

Some factors that might need tro be entered into the equation are:

Your ability to set realistic performance goals
Your willingness to work hard
Your willingness to seek tuition and related learning experiences and your ability to respond to these
Your willingness to take and to respond to feedback from others
Your objectivity as to just how good you are

Easy :)[/quote]

Looks like I'm not going to be learning any new tricks then. :rolleyes: