Why become a member? ×

Fretless Basses

JBassist

maybe a few years away but hey

im thinking getting a fretless when im old enough to gig lol and just wondering that would fretless be suitable for what i play ie: tapping and slapping(ill get slap plate), fingerstyle, also simple punk lines

cos i know fretless is usually used for like smooth jazzy type stuff, but would it work for rhcp,ledzepie sorta stuff

its random i know

megalolz

[quote name='JBassist' post='576181' date='Aug 20 2009, 10:49 PM']maybe a few years away but hey

im thinking getting a fretless when im old enough to gig lol and just wondering that would fretless be suitable for what i play ie: tapping and slapping(ill get slap plate), fingerstyle, also simple punk lines

cos i know fretless is usually used for like smooth jazzy type stuff, but would it work for rhcp,ledzepie sorta stuff

its random i know

megalolz[/quote]

Depends on the type of music I suppose. The only problem is that for most people, playing fretless demands more concentration and is therefore not as widely used by rockers etc. On the other hand though i'm sure Jeff Ament played some fretless bass with Pearl Jam in the early 90's and Les Claypool of Primus appears to do a pretty respectable job of slapping and tapping his six string fretless!

Try before you buy though, fretless bass ain't for everyone!

Happy playing, Kets

[quote name='JBassist' post='576181' date='Aug 20 2009, 10:49 PM']maybe a few years away but hey

its random i know

megalolz[/quote]

Fretless can be used for any music :)

[quote name='Jase' post='576248' date='Aug 21 2009, 12:03 AM']Fretless can be used for any music :)[/quote]

Agreed

Just get a cheap but decent fretless. There's plenty floating about on here, if you don't like it just sell it on!

A default reccomendation would be a Jazz bass with fretlines, i learnt on a Jaco copy and it was great, loads of tonal variation based on a good core sound. The VM Squiers are around £165 - £170 second hand. I bought a great fretless off here for £130, sold my old one for £120

FWIW i used mine in a party band playing pop and rock from 60s to present, it doesn't need to sound like a fretless if you don't want it to!

I'm curious what age you consider old enough to gig. If I remember rightly, wooten was playing gigs before he was ten!

have to admit that megalolz is a news word to me, albeit one i doubt i'll repeat :)

Another curiosity, what makes you want to try fretless bass for rock stuff?

It depends how percussive you want your slap & tap to be, i have to use two basses as the fretless bass doesen't sound snappy enough for that style to me, Having said that, a Wal custom fretless will do both very well, When you pull up on the volume contol it engages a pick attack & almost makes it sound as though it has frets (great slap sound even when fretless) but they are very expensive,

Playing fretless in a rock band? I do & it sounds awsome!

Check this guy out,

[url="http://www.jeroenthesseling.com/audio.htm"]http://www.jeroenthesseling.com/audio.htm[/url]

[quote name='Zach' post='576305' date='Aug 21 2009, 03:39 AM']Another curiosity, what makes you want to try fretless bass for rock stuff?[/quote]

well i just love les claypools slap sound and other non rock fretless players ie jaco, victor

but i also like deep fingerstyle sounds ie jamerson, John p jones and im not sure if you can get that sound on a fretless

and also will you get damage on the nek even if you have a slap plate

[quote name='JBassist' post='576598' date='Aug 21 2009, 12:16 PM']...but i also like deep fingerstyle sounds ie jamerson, John p jones and im not sure if you can get that sound on a fretless[/quote]

Changing your plucking hand position can help a lot with this;

Resting on/around the bridge pickup of a Jazz will help give you the Nasal "Jaco" sound
Move right up to the tail-end of the neck, and you can begin to sound like an upright.
And everything in between...

I only played fretless through my two busiest times as a bassist. Didn't do much slap, I was playing mostly funk (sort-of acid-jazz influenced stuff) and baggy indie stuff, miles away from "smooth jazz" or '80s music but it worked well enough. There were a couple of tunes where I thought I ought to be playing a fretted bass but only a couple, so I never bought one.

If you play it a lot good intonation will become second nature, so I wouldn't let that influence your decision.