Why become a member? ×

Powered Wedge Monitor that can handle Bass Guitar

zabaman

Hi folks, need some advice on a powered wedge monitor. I have an excellent amp (combo) its a roland db700. It kicks out a punch and is great for rehearsals and small live gigs, but on a bigger stage it tends to get lost a bit so I have to stand with my ear in the speaker. What I am after is something to supplement it. I really want an powered (active) wedge monitor that I can use in conjunction with the db 700, line out from there to the powered monitor, and stick on the floor in front of me, this seems to me like the ideal solution, giving me the flexibility and sound I want on stage without drowning everyone else.
The question is is what monitor. I like a toppy sound as I tend to do a lot of slapping, so I was thinking of the CARLSBRO ALPHA PM210 MONITOR 2 x 10" , which is a 200 watt 2 x 10 wedge. On paper it sounds just the ticket apart from the fact that these things are usually designed for vocals and not for the demands of bass. Does anyone know wether this could handle a bass or any other suggestions. I'd rather not go for a 15" variety as I hate lugging gear.
[url="http://www.themusicbox.ie/index.php?groups=67&sub=77&product=801&lang=2"]carlsbro PM210[/url]

[quote name='crez5150' post='572764' date='Aug 18 2009, 11:06 AM']Wharfedale used to do a 12" powered wedge (true stage wedge shape) that I used a couple of times as a bass monitor.... worked extremely well and a much smaller footprint that a 2 x 10. Think it was the EPM12M

J[/quote]

Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='572782' date='Aug 18 2009, 11:28 AM']Thinking slightly outside the box, have you considered a kickback bass combo.

Hartke do 10 inch, 12 inch and 15 inch models with a balanced-out feed for the desk. You could use one as a dedicated instrument amp, or feed a mixed signal into it.[/quote]

I had a mate who got some hartke gear, he was forever sending it back for repairs, so I think i'll avoid that but I'll have a look at that, I think Laney do something similar.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='572782' date='Aug 18 2009, 12:28 PM']Thinking slightly outside the box, have you considered a kickback bass combo.

Hartke do 10 inch, 12 inch and 15 inch models with a balanced-out feed for the desk. You could use one as a dedicated instrument amp, or feed a mixed signal into it.[/quote]

Kickback 12 rules!

I have one and have used it for many years for very small pubs and practice, it has the wedge cut out so you can tilt it back and is plenty loud enough for a monitor. Also the sound quality is very good.

The only problem I have ever had with it is the jack socket needs repair, having said that it has seen a lot of service including jam nights and you know how equipment gets treated at jam nights ^_^

Edited by sixshooter

I'd go for the Markbass 210 combo which doubles as a wedge and backline whcih ever way you want to run it... add a 15 and you have 500wts IIRC...

Excellent combo which uses the LMll...

And if you can't hear that..then dump the band...

Sorry, excessive stage sound is a real bug of mine which will catch up with you later.

VOLUME does not = power ..just my take on this type of problem

We have a set of Carlsboro PM10 powered monitors, a master and slave setup rated laughably at 100W

They have a tendency to blow the internal fuses, which is frequently caused by the output transistor melting. It's only the size of a well-chewed fingernail.

Given the reliability problems, and given that Carlsboro have gone bust and the more esoteric spares are already getting hard to find, I'd recommend you find something else.

• 3 weeks later...

hiho,I have a db700 as well and you can get a powered extension cab for it from roland or get a db900.you could use the powered extension as a side fill so you and the drummer can hear it.They are great amps and have a very good sound,love mine to bits.If I,m stuck for volume then I dig out a marshall mb450 head and 2 peavey 2x10s at 4ohms and run the marshall at 2ohm total and belt out 450 watt which is seriously loud and shakes the world.
Roland do a 15" version and a 4x10 version of the powered extension.i have considered this option and I,m waiting for one to come up at reasonable price.hope this helps.

[quote name='sixshooter' post='572814' date='Aug 18 2009, 01:09 PM']Kickback 12 rules!

I have one and have used it for many years for very small pubs and practice, it has the wedge cut out so you can tilt it back and is plenty loud enough for a monitor. Also the sound quality is very good[/quote]

i have the 15"

quality amp :)

[quote name='sixshooter' post='572814' date='Aug 18 2009, 01:09 PM']Kickback 12 rules!

The only problem I have ever had with it is the jack socket needs repair,[/quote]

A mate of mine's had the 15 for a couple of years, only used it at home I think (he's got an Ampeg combo he gigs with) but it's a box of crackles and pops, everything on it is wearing out.