Why become a member? ×

Technique using thumb (not slap)

davidmpires

Hi everyone

To save me creating two topics I've decided to use this one and talk about two different techniques i've been aproaching but would like to know if anyone else uses them and what advice can I get.

The 1st one is playing like a pick but using the corner of your thumb for a pick. I use this in songs that require more attack and more speed like "Parallel universe" by RHCP, or "are you gonna be my girl", by the Jet.
It can be a bit painfull to start with but in time it becomes easier and easier, and I use it mostly for up and down strokes, then if I need to switch to a full low note I just move the thumb forward and play the note.

The 2nd one is a 4 finger strum like the one used by flamenco players. I can't get it to be usefull in a band situation mainly because I'm still getting to grips with chords, but when using root+5th+8th it sounds good and sometimes just root+5th is good as well.
I've been playing about with this and trying to control the volume of each stroke so it doesn't get out of hand.

Does anyone else plays this way, where can I find more info?

Thanks

David

Edited by davidmpires

• 2 weeks later...