Why become a member? ×

Tommy Shannon - great player

Clarky

Watched the Hot Licks instructional DVD 'Double Trouble' featuring Tommy Shannon (Stevie Ray Vaughan's bass player) last night.

He may not be uber-technical but boy can he nail a blues-based groove. Clearly built up from years paying his dues in clubs and playing with other greats, like Willie Weeks. Inspirational bass playing IMHO

Just thought I'd share that thought - if you like blues bass, its a damn good DVD

Check out the DVD 'Live at Montreaux- 1982 & 1985'- two amazing SRV gigs! The band are absolutely smoking in both performances... I'm sure I'm not the only one on BC who covets Tommy's battered white Jazz Bass! :)

Also well worth a look is 'Rory Gallagher- Live at Montreaux'- Rory's long-time bassist Gerry McAvoy could tear it up pretty well on his P-Bass, and his gurning facial expressions onstage would probably win Alex's Midget competition by a fair distance!

[quote name='Etienne' post='571710' date='Aug 17 2009, 03:42 PM']Check out the DVD 'Live at Montreaux- 1982 & 1985'- two amazing SRV gigs! The band are absolutely smoking in both performances... I'm sure I'm not the only one on BC who covets Tommy's battered white Jazz Bass! :)

Also well worth a look is 'Rory Gallagher- Live at Montreaux'- Rory's long-time bassist Gerry McAvoy could tear it up pretty well on his P-Bass, and his gurning facial expressions onstage would probably win Alex's Midget competition by a fair distance![/quote]

+1 to everything you just said, Etienne! Both of those performances are an absolute must-watch if you're a fan of blues bass playing.

And that white Jazz... :rolleyes: