Why become a member? ×

help newbie!

skidder652003

hi guys
please help a newbie!
i have a superfly head @ 2 x 250watts RMS at 4 ohms. Obviously i would like to crank all that power into one cab.
i have a alumbass bullfrog 4 x 10 rated at 8 0hms and 800watt max with 2 parrallel jack inputs at the back.
would i be able and safe to take a lead from one of the 250 watt outputs into one jack input and the same again from the other 250 watt output into the other parrallel input in the cab. Would this give me more power than 250 watts?
Im completely lost with all the resistance stuff and would greatly appreciate any advice in case i fry the amp!
many thanks in advance.
steve

If all the speakers are individually 8ohms, wire 2 in parallel to each socket giving 4 ohms available at each socket. Make sure the sockets are not connected to each other at all, and make sure the + on each speaker is connected to + from the amp (make sure all the speakers operate in phase)
Simples!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='571588' date='Aug 17 2009, 01:32 PM']I suspect you'd blow the output transistors and release the magic smoke.

Alex[/quote]

All hail the magic smoke!

Funniest thing I've ever seen was a very very very experienced analogue electronics expert geezer putting together a studio, We had just wired up the spot lights (well I was the one up in the roof space chewing insulation and fighting the transformer tangle fairy). Anyways, he provisionally makes a just for the minute fuse in his fusebox on the wall, turns to me (up ladder) shouts, "Adjust for maximum smoke!" pulls the switch to the most enormous BANG! huge cloud of smoke, and him stood there with soot on his face and a truly bewildered expression on his boatrace.

Priceless!

I was convinced I'd cocked something up, but it turned out it was him in the end, so I didnt feel too bad :)

Amazing bloke though, this was a real one off, he was an absolute mine of fantastically useful info!

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='571750' date='Aug 17 2009, 04:20 PM']If all the speakers are individually 8ohms, wire 2 in parallel to each socket giving 4 ohms available at each socket. Make sure the sockets are not connected to each other at all, and make sure the + on each speaker is connected to + from the amp (make sure all the speakers operate in phase)
Simples![/quote]
thats fantastic!
actually i spoke to a guy today who,s up to speed on this stuff and thats exactly what he suggested!
gonna take apart the cab now and take a look inside!
many thanks
steve