Why become a member? ×

Shep's gear...

pantherairsoft

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='763160' date='Mar 3 2010, 05:37 PM']The TD660 is cool but I'm not sure of the advantages over the TD650 in order to change. Both great amps though![/quote]

... Still not as cool as the Fafner though!

Should have all my gear back in one place on Saturday so a new group shot is on its way :-)

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='763257' date='Mar 3 2010, 07:19 PM']... Still not as cool as the Fafner though!

Should have all my gear back in one place on Saturday so a new group shot is on its way :-)[/quote]

Different strokes... TD650 remains my fave :) (Actually, thats a fib... I like the HD350+ the best)

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='Hamster' post='763556' date='Mar 4 2010, 12:52 AM']I'm really not sure if the EBS rigs give me the sound I like, but Mr Goodfellows basses are certainly growing on me............[/quote]

The basses are stunning, and the sound is unreal, especially in the top end boost. The EBS stuff seems to handle the top end better, and with no hiss, compared to any other amp I have tried, meaning they compliment the GB basses really well.

That said, my Overwater sounds thunderous through the Fafner as well... definitely my bass of choice for rock/metal.

Just a few thoughts prompted by Hamsters post.

The thing about the EBS amps (and I'm talking about the Fafner, HD350 and TD650 here) is that they can deliver huge amounts of the super highs... and the initial market that EBS chased was mostly the fusion players doing all the groove slap and tickle stuff. Whilst it does that genre well, EBS does do other genres equally as well but the initial marketing wouldn't hint at that. I believe this to be the reason why EBS seem to be chasing the rock and metal market at the moment to help dispell the cliche that EBS is only suited to one style of playing.

I think that it's the 10khz response on the amp that helps gives the EBS tradmark zing (whereas most amps shelve the upper frequencies). If you check out an EBS on a scope (flat response, character swich disengaged, it has a remarkably flat response with only the lower frequencies (not audible to the human ear) being shelved. This makes your watt go further and is one of the reasons that the HD350 is preceived as a loud amp. This, to me at least, means that with a bit of cut on the upper eq, these amp should be able to cater for most markets.

The cabs do have a more agressive tweeter than most and the chosen crossover point helps accent that... and that is where the cab can really show off with slap tones and tapping. Of course, there is always the tweeter level on the cab to tame the output to taste.

The EBS setup is more like a PA - try playing a CD through it to see how good it actually is. Used with Bernie's basses - which have a staggering amount of EQ available anyway, you got pretty much an infinite pallet. I still believe that there is no other bass out there that can get the shimmery highs (with no hiss) along with the deep bass. Of course, his EQ system is more than just a standard 3 way EQ, there is way more going on than the treble getting boosted when the treble pot is turned... (notice how a GB treble remains musical without going harsh...)

I agree completely. In fact with the current project I'm involved in I'm using the EBS a little differently, as a dirty rock amp. Quite a cut to the top end actually. A fat bottom and a little dirt in the mids. The band I'm playing with have an Ampeg SVT-2 available to them as well which I tried last night, and everyone agreed that the Fafner did the fat chunky metal sound better than the Ampeg. No slap, no zing, just fat-ass-metal-balls.

The more I use it the more I learn to see how versatile it is, way beyond the pitch that EBS put out for it. I do tweek down the tweeter a little at the mo, as mentioned they are stunning and highly responsive, but the NEO cabs as a whole really fit the metal/rock sound well with there slight emphasis on a gritty bottom end.

Edited by pantherairsoft

On another note, last night was the longest rehearsal I had done with the Overwater... I always knew it was a heavy bass (Chris May said one of the heaviest he'd made due to all the Wenge), but my god I'm feeling it now! Heavy enough for me to consider in the back of my mind trading it for something lighter!!!! I'm sure i'll of gone off that idea by the morning though :-)

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='765433' date='Mar 5 2010, 05:53 PM']On another note, last night was the longest rehearsal I had done with the Overwater... I always knew it was a heavy bass (Chris May said one of the heaviest he'd made due to all the Wenge), but my god I'm feeling it now! Heavy enough for me to consider in the back of my mind trading it for something lighter!!!! I'm sure i'll of gone off that idea by the morning though :-)[/quote]

*cough* *cough* Rumour *cough*

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='765545' date='Mar 5 2010, 07:52 PM']*cough* *cough* Rumour *cough*[/quote]
lol lol lol lol

If I ever got shot it would have to be trade, only way to get your moneys worth back. A 2.5k instrument could be traded for another, but would never sell for enough to buy a new 1.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='765077' date='Mar 5 2010, 01:10 PM']snip *EBS are good for other things aswell as acid jazz with a pin sharp tone* /snip[/quote]

Completly agree. I think schroeders are lumped in a similar deal - Yes they do have a slight mid hump, but with a little EQ they can turn into really big fat scooped monsters if thats what your after. I'd really love to try a nice big EBS rig, I've only tried a small one (1x15)

Looks beautiful mate!

[quote name='MythSte' post='766086' date='Mar 6 2010, 02:30 PM']Completly agree. I think schroeders are lumped in a similar deal - Yes they do have a slight mid hump, but with a little EQ they can turn into really big fat scooped monsters if thats what your after. I'd really love to try a nice big EBS rig, I've only tried a small one (1x15)

Looks beautiful mate![/quote]

Well if you ever end up in Nottingham, give me a shout. Always happy to accommodate other basschatters... Had mcgraham over earlier in fact!

On the way back from Bernies... Been a good day out.

The 115 is all fixed and the Fafner is now sporting blue LED's :) We went through all the colours and it was between Blue or Gold. Blue won.

My GB is staying with Bernie for a week to resolve a few neck 'issues'. There maybe a new GB project in the pipeline... But it's all a secret :rolleyes:

Some up to date pics as of today. Pics are missing the GB as it's down with Bernie.

Rig & Overwater (Fafner now sporting the blue LED's)

(sorry about my reflection in this one!)

Overwater Evolution 5 Custom
EBS Fafner, EBS Neoline 212 & EBS Neoline 115

Pedalboard...

Boss TU2, Boss DD3, EBS Unichorus, EBS Octabass, EMMA DiscumBOBulator (with sfx made toggle), MXR Bass Blowtorch, Tech 21 XXL Bass Edition

Well my decision to move from 5 to 6 strings has been on my mind for a while and having sampled a number of high end 6ers I found one that just felt 'right'. Neck like butter, didn't notice the step to 6 strings, and it's a fretless... And I hardly even notice the fact!

The Overwater has left the building!!!!

But, welcome to the family....

Roscoe Century Standard 6 Fretless
Ash body with enhance grain
3 piece Maple Neck
Diamondwood board with aluminium fret lines (!)
Hand Carved Graphtec Nut
Hipshot satin hardware
Bartolini CB pickups and Bartolini 3 band EQ
Uber lightweight (about 8.6lbs) and amazingly balanced

A truely stunning instrument and a delight to play.

Pics to follow when some natural light comes through the curtains :)

Also joining the family this week is the new EBS Session 60 combo for home practice whilst the rig is at the studio. A stunning combo which punches well above it's price point, as well as the new TC Electronics Polychromatic tuner... which rocks!!!

Edited by pantherairsoft

Phwoarrrr!

Thats my bass's fatter cousin who lost his teeth, isnt it???

Beautiful bass matey, I just know how much you are going to enjoy tht, and knowing how obscenely light the Century Standards are, your back will be thanking you too!

Cheers chaps. Light is an understatement... stunningly comfy.

I turned up at rehearsal last night, having never rehearsed with a 6 or with a fretless, having owned the bass for 3 hours and never missed a note. I can't believe how easy it is to play. Very very impressed!

Love the aluminium fret lines as well. Hard to get the detail in the pics, but small metal strips just look much classier that a strip of lighter wood!