Why become a member? ×

Seymours or Fenders?

boabskiboab

Can one of you guys put into words the true differences between.

Seymour Duncan Vintage Jazz Pups
Seymour Duncan Hot Jazz Pups
Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder Jazz Pups

Do seymours antiquities just look old or are there tonal differnces?

Fender Standard Jazz Pups
Fender 75RI Jazz Pups.

I generally play rock (REM, Big Country) which pair would be most suitable,

I'm a P-bass player but swear by SD pups. I can't help with the Jazz stuff but I do Antiquity pups are not just paying for relicing. I have them in a couple of telecasters and a P-bass. Aside being hand wound you get Seymour Duncan's autograph with each pup! They are just a really good package. I prefer Seymour Duncan's more traditional sounding pups and think they are vastly superior to stock Fender pups.

I agree with Burrito. They lose their advantage over Fender pups the higher up the Fender pup scale you go , and for many the improvement over GOOD stock Fender pups may not be worth it , but if your F pups are crap or you're building from scratch - get the Duncan's in there.

Fender - Duncan -Badass - leave me alone , I'm happy!!!

You might want to also look at Wizard Pickups:

[url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass&sub=Jazz%20Bass"]http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?ca...sub=Jazz%20Bass[/url]

They're hand made in the UK and pretty highly regarded... and come in cheaper than the higher up SDs (especially the antiquity ones) or Fenders. Bit of a bargain to be honest. You can even get pickups custom wound to your specs for a little more cash.

[quote name='boabskiboab' post='567076' date='Aug 12 2009, 06:16 PM']Can one of you guys put into words the true differences between.

Seymour Duncan Vintage Jazz Pups
Seymour Duncan Hot Jazz Pups
Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder Jazz Pups

Do seymours antiquities just look old or are there tonal differnces?[/quote]

The Vintage sound nice. Very woody, very complex, very burpy Jaco in the back position.
I haven't tried the hot Jazz pickups, although I didn't like the Duncan hot P-Bass pickups.
In the rear position of my Yamaha, the Quarter Pounder sounds just like a Precision. I'm not kidding you, it sounds nearly the same as the Vintage Duncan P-Bass at the front, just a bit more trebly.

I'd remain sceptical about the Antiquities. I smell a marketing man at work.