Why become a member? ×

Buying an amp for the first time

Bass-ic

Hi all.
I am buying some proper bass gear for the first time. Needless to say, I dont want to spend thousands and it doesnt have to be huge or overtly powerful.
My tutor does have plans for me to play with a band fairly soon so it needs be be powerful enough to cope with that but also very usable as a practice set up at home as well. The band wont be extraordinarily loud.
I think I have the cab sorted, but I am after a small bass amp.
Because I want portability and not too heavy expense, I am thinking of either the Ashdown little giant or the Ashdown Superfly which is on sale at what seems to be an advantagous price at reverb Bristol.

Ok, I havent heard either yet, but thats mostly because i dont have the cab yet, but I plan to sort this soon.
Does anyone have any experience of either of these bass amps and if so which do you think is better.

At present, it could be said that it really wouldnt matter what I buy, since I dont play bass well enough to warrant something really special, and I suppose since I dont have a genre of music that I really want to play, I really could play through any old amp. But, I do want something that is a little better than that.
Your thoughts would be very welcome.
Cheers in advance
Matt

Some Superflys were poorly made (mine included). It's actually been fine since i took all the extra casing off (looks better too) but i still wouldn't trust it to gig with.

I think the Little Giant or one of the new Hartkes would be better. Also look at Peavey stuff, can't go wrong with Peavey gear but it's not lightweight

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='566247' date='Aug 11 2009, 08:21 PM']Some Superflys were poorly made (mine included). It's actually been fine since i took all the extra casing off (looks better too) but i still wouldn't trust it to gig with.

I think the Little Giant or one of the new Hartkes would be better. Also look at Peavey stuff, can't go wrong with Peavey gear![/quote]

Ah OK. I seem to remember some not so good news about the superfly, but it is going cheap! have you tried teh Little Giant?
Thanks very much
Matt

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='566252' date='Aug 11 2009, 09:23 PM']Ah OK. I seem to remember some not so good news about the superfly, but it is going cheap! have you tried teh Little Giant?
Thanks very much
Matt[/quote]

Yeah there's been too many complaints for it to be worth the risk, i wouldn't pay more than £100 for one and that would be just for a bedroom and practice amp. Not heard the Little Giants but there's quite a big thread on them somewhere. I think opinions were positive, although the smaller one was appaerntly a little quiet

Keep in mind that the Superfly needs 2 4ohm cabs to get the most out of it. It works like a 2 sided PA amp and cannot be bridged so each output puts out 250w @ 4ohms.

I used it with one 4ohm cab, another time with 2 8ohm cabs and it was fine though. One 8ohm cab would probably be fine

Not sure if the Little Giant heads work like this but it something to consider

I guess you may have been through the Wiki bit on buying your first amp?
[url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:buying:choosing_your_first_amp"]http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:buying:cho..._your_first_amp[/url]

JoeGarcia seems to own about 200 bass rigs.. Maybe a trip to Stokes croft for a bit of hands on consultancy?

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='566256' date='Aug 11 2009, 08:28 PM']Yeah there's been too many complaints for it to be worth the risk, i wouldn't pay more than £100 for one and that would be just for a bedroom and practice amp. Not heard the Little Giants but there's quite a big thread on them somewhere. I think opinions were positive, although the smaller one was appaerntly a little quiet

Keep in mind that the Superfly needs 2 4ohm cabs to get the most out of it. It works like a 2 sided PA amp and cannot be bridged so each output puts out 250w @ 4ohms.

I used it with one 4ohm cab, another time with 2 8ohm cabs and it was fine though. One 8ohm cab would probably be fine

Not sure if the Little Giant heads work like this but it something to consider[/quote]

Ok, thats really useful. I plan to use it with one 8 ohm cab.
Cheers
Matt

[quote name='OldGit' post='566263' date='Aug 11 2009, 08:33 PM']I guess you may have been through the Wiki bit on buying your first amp?
[url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:buying:choosing_your_first_amp"]http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:buying:cho..._your_first_amp[/url]

JoeGarcia seems to own about 200 bass rigs.. Maybe a trip to Stokes croft for a bit of hands on consultancy?[/quote]

Hi OG
umm i did have a wander through the wiki.
Joe Garcia.... I dont think I know him, at least Ive seen him on here sometimes but havent spoken to him. Where in Stokes croft?

I gues the problem is that this is all still really new for me. Knowing me id probably buy a barrel of monkeys and still it sounded OK!
err just kidding, but you get the picture.
Cheers
Matt

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='566270' date='Aug 11 2009, 09:38 PM']Hi OG
umm i did have a wander through the wiki.
Joe Garcia.... I dont think I know him, at least Ive seen him on here sometimes but havent spoken to him. Where in Stokes croft?

I gues the problem is that this is all still really new for me. Knowing me id probably buy a barrel of monkeys and still it sounded OK!
err just kidding, but you get the picture.
Cheers
Matt[/quote]

Dunno He lives around there somewhere with Mr.Foxen (in a musicians' shared house styleee I believe :) )
PM him and find out :rolleyes:

Don't go giving people ideas that the Joe '500 amps of doom' Garcia route is the way to go. It's just cursing the poor guy to everlasting GAS. Just swing by the House of Bass to see the consequence of this. After a sale of a cab, it took roughly 4 hours for 4 valve pre/power amps to appear in its place.

Anyway dude, PM.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='566321' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:15 PM']Don't go giving people ideas that the Joe '500 amps of doom' Garcia route is the way to go. It's just cursing the poor guy to everlasting GAS. Just swing by the House of Bass to see the consequence of this. After a sale of a cab, it took roughly 4 hours for 4 valve pre/power amps to appear in its place.

Anyway dude, PM.[/quote]

Thanks, Mr Foxen.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='566321' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:15 PM']Don't go giving people ideas that the Joe '500 amps of doom' Garcia route is the way to go. It's just cursing the poor guy to everlasting GAS. Just swing by the House of Bass to see the consequence of this. After a sale of a cab, it took roughly 4 hours for 4 valve pre/power amps to appear in its place.

Anyway dude, PM.[/quote]

Trying to act like you don't do the same ? :)

[quote name='chris_pokkuri' post='566558' date='Aug 12 2009, 10:04 AM']The Hartke LH range are very good and you can pick them up very cheap. You'd be fine getting the LH500 which I think is louder than most 500w amps. Also it has a very simple but very effective eq section which some people like me prefer.[/quote]
Thanks Chris.
I'm not sure if i need something that loud right now.
Many thanks for the info tho.
Cheers
Matt

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='566576' date='Aug 12 2009, 10:33 AM']Thanks Chris.
I'm not sure if i need something that loud right now.
Many thanks for the info tho.
Cheers
Matt[/quote]

I've just done a quick search on prices:
LH500 £283, Little Giant 350w £230, Superfly 500w £160

If you are gonna be playing in a band and using one 8 ohm cab i'd suggest using at least a 500w head. Getting something like the LH500 is gonna mean you won't have to upgrade for a while once you start gigging, maybe just add another cab to get its full power.

Obviously the best thing you can do is try a load of amps out with your cab when you get it and go for the sound you like best. Unfortunately if Reverb Bristol is your nearest store it has a crap selection of bass gear.

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='566576' date='Aug 12 2009, 10:33 AM']I'm not sure if i need something that loud right now.[/quote]

The volume knob turns anti-clockwise too :)

Better to have the power and not need it than to need it and not have it.

A

[quote name='chris_pokkuri' post='566619' date='Aug 12 2009, 11:22 AM']Unfortunately if Reverb Bristol is your nearest store it has a crap selection of bass gear.[/quote]

And the worst guy selling it. One of those that thinks there is one sound for bass, and thats an Ampeg into an 8x10 with the treble cranked. I went in saying I was biamping and wanted to try a LH1000 for my low side biamp rig and he plugged me into a sealed 4x10 and turned the bright button on. Then when I said it was the cab lacking lows he told me I was wrong because its a 1000w cab.

Hi All
the band thing for me is just something my tutor wants me to try, but i doubt that it will be a permananety thing, hence not want ting to get something too 'heavy/loud/pricey just yet.
From this sart point I hope to have a better idea in the future hence going down the smaller route at the moment.
I hope that makes sense.
Reverb bristol is fairly hopeless it must be said, however, they were selling Little Giants at £199 as a special offer a while ago.
The cab i hope to aquire this weekend will be an Ashdown MAG 2x10.
Cheers
Matt