Why become a member? ×

Buying an amp for the first time

Bass-ic

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='566722' date='Aug 12 2009, 01:18 PM']are you going to make a small portable amp at all to go with your cabs?[/quote]

At the moment I feel the market is pretty well catered for. Where weight is a priority I'd lean towards the Shuttle 6.0 or LMIII (depending on your tonal preference). If you're willing to have a heavier amp to save money then the LH500 is really great. For louder situations the GK1001RBII and LH1000 are good choices. Or rack preamps with Crown XTi power amps. There's hell of a lot of choice out there though and most amps are pretty decent (if they suit you tonally - don't try to make an amp sound like something it isn't). Plus power is cheap, not worth skimping on!

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='566696' date='Aug 12 2009, 01:03 PM']Hi All
the band thing for me is just something my tutor wants me to try, but i doubt that it will be a permananety thing, hence not want ting to get something too 'heavy/loud/pricey just yet.[/quote]

Although the others here aren't wrong in that getting a powerful amp will do no harm and mean you don't have to upgrade, you could get by with something that puts out 100-200 watts into a single 8ohm cab and would drive your Ashdown 210 just fine.
I've played some big outdoor gigs with an amp that puts outs just 180w into 8ohm and 300w into 2x 8ohms cabs.

2x10 is a good call, handy enough, and easy to get a second for the fabled pair of 2x10s stacked vertically, although that won't agree with a LHon top. If you get the LH1000 and are worried about the cost, chances are I'll be after one in a few months, so you have a fair chance of recovering most of you pennies. In fact, if you get one, I'll give you a lend of a rack case for it, in anticipation of consideration on resale.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='566768' date='Aug 12 2009, 02:11 PM']2x10 is a good call, handy enough, and easy to get a second for the fabled pair of 2x10s stacked vertically, although that won't agree with a LHon top. If you get the LH1000 and are worried about the cost, chances are I'll be after one in a few months, so you have a fair chance of recovering most of you pennies. In fact, if you get one, I'll give you a lend of a rack case for it, in anticipation of consideration on resale.[/quote]

The idea of adding to the 2x10 is a basic principal. I had heard that the vertical stack was the way forward with them.
Cheers
Matt

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='566766' date='Aug 12 2009, 02:07 PM']Although the others here aren't wrong in that getting a powerful amp will do no harm and mean you don't have to upgrade, you could get by with something that puts out 100-200 watts into a single 8ohm cab and would drive your Ashdown 210 just fine.
I've played some big outdoor gigs with an amp that puts outs just 180w into 8ohm and 300w into 2x 8ohms cabs.[/quote]

Umm i have to say, I thought 200w was loud. i dont think the band i might be playing with will actually ever do a gig.
Cheers
Matt

FWIW
I only mentioned the two amps in the OP because i happen to know they are quite small, which would be a bonus. I am not totally restricting myself to either. if there is something better that is compact/portable etc and the right cash, then please do point me in that direction so I know what it is.
Cheers
Matt

Edited by Absolute-beginner

I'd say that the size of the amp is pretty insignificant compared to the size of the cab! And for the latter, more size equals more low frequency sensitivity, which is always a good thing.

As it's your first big rig, do not underestimate secondhand Peavey amps - they're almost indestructible, solid tone and great value for money. Not light but still lighter than your current combo. If you buy everything secondhand you can shift it without loss if you decide that you don't like the sound/weight/size/loudness, etc.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='566837' date='Aug 12 2009, 03:12 PM']I'd say that the size of the amp is pretty insignificant compared to the size of the cab! And for the latter, more size equals more low frequency sensitivity, which is always a good thing.

As it's your first big rig, do not underestimate secondhand Peavey amps - they're almost indestructible, solid tone and great value for money. Not light but still lighter than your current combo. If you buy everything secondhand you can shift it without loss if you decide that you don't like the sound/weight/size/loudness, etc.

Alex[/quote]

Ok
Cheers Alex

Matt

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='566960' date='Aug 12 2009, 03:42 PM']Hassle Shockwave to sell you his Little Giant 1000 and Peavey cab, he needs to get a rig to match his bass anyway (Ampeg and a Vintage).[/quote]

Im sure he would welcome the hassle!
Matt