Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB3000

BB2000

Yamaha BB3000 bought new in Japan - and has never been used. Alder body, maple/mahogany through neck, ebony fingerboard, black metallic finish. Complete with the original Yamaha fitted case. Note that all these photo's bar the last were taken with flash, in normal lighting the metallic finish is very subtle. Open to offers.

Edited by BB2000

Stunning bass! This looks like a mid 80's model, is it? What's the serial number?
The BB3000 series is really wonderful instruments, this should make someone a very happy owner.
Never played it?

Good luck with the sale! Are you interested in any special trades?

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='562710' date='Aug 7 2009, 12:11 PM']The last thing I need is another bass but this is soooooooo cool :) !!!!!

BB[/quote]

Tell me about it! That is a fantastic example - again, reminds me of 1983/84 being a spotty teenager ogling the Yams at Chappells in central Milton Keynes (..shopping as it should be!). Been to the bank today - what was the name of that band who had the big hit - Money for Nothing??? Ah yes, Dire Straits!!!! Thats the state of my fiscal world! Waa!

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='563373' date='Aug 8 2009, 11:07 AM']I have been misunderstanding, I think. This is a current model or re-issue not an original 70s/80s one?

BB[/quote]

Be careful of anyone offering you a 70s BB3000 - they were only introduced in 83/84 (a year before the BB5000). It was the BB1200 and BB2000 which were introduced in the late 70s. (By the way there is an enormous amount of bullshit surrounding the BB3000 regarding who designed it, who it's named after etc. - there must be a dozen bassists who claim it as their own.)

There's never been a re-issue of the BB3000 because (barring short periods) they've never been out of production, although I think they were only available from Yamaha Korea for a while (complete with crap active electronics, ropey pain job and weird bridge). All the other BB series fell by the wayside a long time ago (discounting the recent BB4XX,6XX,7XX) which was a shame, since they were amongst the best basses ever built. Especially the BB2000, which IMHO had a better finish and more durable hardware than the BB3000. The BB3000MA doesn't bear much resemblance to a BB3000, although they are fine basses if you can overlook the inlays and decal (what were they thinking?).

The only design change done to the BB3000 over the years as far as I'm aware of is that they starting rolling the necks at some point, I don't know when. This BB3000 dates from about 2003 (I think - I might have bought it as early as 2001). It should have been obvious it wasn't an 80s model by the case (they had a brick outhouse of a case back then - unlike the 'presentation' case they supply now) and the CE sticker on the headstock, which dates any guitar post '95.

Anyway, this is a stock Japanese BB3000, similar to that which you could have bought 20 years ago, and which you can still buy from Yamaha today. Book price is 220,000 yen with a street price in Japan of 171,000 yen (which is the same price they were 25 years ago!). Importing from Japan would cost you about £1400.

Thanks for the interest shown - if there's any serious interest make an offer.