Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fender Jazz bass, whaty year and how can I tell it's a genuine serial number?

Mzungu71

Evening bass chatters.

Been looking at the serial number on my Japanese made Fender Jazz Bass. Bought off the Bay of Evil a while back and it was advertised as a 2002 model.

The serial number is P030402.

According to the fender UK website P + 6 digits = 1993/1994

P + 5 digits would put it as 199/2002 which would fit in with how the bass was advertised.

Also the serial number is at the base of the neck and appears to be a transfer.

The guitar plays really well, it certainly feels genuine. Have my doubts now though!

What do you guys reckon?

Cheers

Gary

Japanese Fenders have their serial number as a transfer on the heel of the neck – so that sounds right. Does it say "Crafted in Japan" or "Made in Japan" beside the serial number? If it's a CIJ then the serial number seems OK for 2002. Don't believe what it says on Fender's list of serial numbers – I have a 2004 CIJ Precision that has a serial number that's Q + 6-digits, whereas the site says that it should be 5-digits. I'm not sure whether this is just a mistake on Fender's site, or whether there's a difference between export and non-export Japanese instruments. I guess that it's possible that export instruments have 5-digit serial numbers and Fender only takes account of this (since you technically shouldn't be able to get non-export instruments outside of Japan). The [url="http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx"]Guitar Dater Project[/url] lists your serial number as 1999-2002. So I think you're OK :)

[b]Edit:[/b] Of course, some photos would help for any visual clues...

Edited by ~tl

I think the confusion over the 6/5 digit serials stems from the use of a zero at the start of all crafted in japan serials. It might seem that they are not including the zero at the start as one of the digits. Just to confuse things MIJ instruments may also start with a zero but they do include that as a digit. :)

Incidentally, some japanese made basses do have the serials on the headstock, like some of the older E series ones and newer signature models. And the Squier Silver Series models as well.

It doesn't say CIJ or MIJ on the bass, in fact it doesn't mention the country of origin. I do, however, have the original Japanese certificate of purchase (guarantee) and so it does appear as you said that it was not an export model, rather one that's worked its way out of Japan via the second hand route.

Thanks all for your assistance, think I can rest easy now :)

[quote name='Mzungu71' post='561781' date='Aug 6 2009, 10:32 AM']It doesn't say CIJ or MIJ on the bass, in fact it doesn't mention the country of origin. I do, however, have the original Japanese certificate of purchase (guarantee) and so it does appear as you said that it was not an export model, rather one that's worked its way out of Japan via the second hand route.

Thanks all for your assistance, think I can rest easy now :)[/quote]
Hmm, that sounds strange. As far as I know, all Japanese Fenders have it...

Pics?

I bought a fake CIJ on EBay recently - there is a thread here & there was a seller knocking out good fakes. Pics would help. My seller is no longer registered but was from the West Midlands. Serial numbers really are nearly always at the heal of the neck in scroll writing and if this is not the case I'd have a few alarm bells ringing. My seller was knocking out Squiers with decal changes.

It's a good scam as the CIJ models aren't known that well outside of the enthusiasts!

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='561955' date='Aug 6 2009, 01:41 PM']Here`s what a (hopefully!) genuine cij serial number looks like.

Jez

[attachment=30336:DSC00158.JPG][/quote]
That looks correct, though I've also seen them with the CIJ text above the serial number...

Hmm, slightly more worrying!!

Here is the photo of the serial number in situ and also the purchase certificate.

The guy I bought it off is still registered and has excellent feedback so I have no reason to believe he's a scammer

[attachment=30343:006.JPG]

[attachment=30344:007.JPG]

Oopooh thats one of the sexy All black ones with rosewood fingerboard right?

i am not surprised it doesant have the usual country of origin sticker, just because it has a painted neck. Trust me its a genuine fender, year? Unsure.

If you ever want to move it on let me know ;-)

<Oopooh thats one of the sexy All black ones with rosewood fingerboard right?>

The very same :)

<i am not surprised it doesant have the usual country of origin sticker, just because it has a painted neck. Trust me its a genuine fender, year? Unsure.>

Thanks, it's definitely a beauty that's for sure

<If you ever want to move it on let me know ;-)>

;-) Well chief, I am deeply in love with this bass, so the short answer is, Don't hold your breath :rolleyes:

Thanks for taking the time to post everyone, it's much appreciated

BTW I have emailed Fender direct and hopefully they can let me know, although some guys are saying the scammers on ebay use serial numbers with lots of 0's in them. This one just plays too good to be a fake i'd say

Edited by Mzungu71

[quote name='~tl' post='562021' date='Aug 6 2009, 03:09 PM']That looks correct, though I've also seen them with the CIJ text above the serial number...[/quote]
Mine is exactly like that. Starts with a P also and I think mine is also a 94.