Why become a member? ×

Which Online Store?

Lew-Bass

I'm planning on getting an Ibanez SR500L in the near future, tried a righty in dolphinmusic today and it was great. I've had a quick scour and I can't find any second hand ones on the net in the UK, so I'm going to end up getting it new from an online store (unless one crops up on the bay or here!)

Both nevadamusic and GAK have it for sale at a very similar price, £439 and £442 respectively. So which one should I buy it from? Does anyone have any past experience with either? And if so did the bass come set-up? If somethings wrong are they easy to deal with?

Opinions.. past personal dealings.. fire away! Thanks :)

I've dealt with GAK before, and IIRC they charged me an absolute fortune for delivery because it was to Northern Ireland, though this may not be a problem for you depending on your location. Apart from that, the order was fairly painless though, they give you an estimated delivery date and keep you updated with the dispatch information etc, so recommended if you're in England!

Danny

EDIT - might be worth giving them a ring first to check if the bass is in stock, as the website is sometimes slightly behind actual stock levels.

[quote name='acidbass' post='559639' date='Aug 3 2009, 08:54 PM']I've dealt with GAK before, and IIRC they charged me an absolute fortune for delivery because it was to Northern Ireland, though this may not be a problem for you depending on your location. Apart from that, the order was fairly painless though, they give you an estimated delivery date and keep you updated with the dispatch information etc, so recommended if you're in England!

Danny

EDIT - might be worth giving them a ring first to check if the bass is in stock, as the website is sometimes slightly behind actual stock levels.[/quote]

Thanks mate, fortunately they offer free delivery on the SR500L. What was the state of your bass like out of the box (action etc.)?

[quote name='acidbass' post='559639' date='Aug 3 2009, 08:54 PM']EDIT - might be worth giving them a ring first to check if the bass is in stock, as the website is sometimes slightly behind actual stock levels.[/quote]
A huge +1... er... how big can I make a +1? [size=7]+1[/size]

I'm beginning to wonder if they stock anything at all - despite what the web site says.

[quote name='Eight' post='559697' date='Aug 3 2009, 09:50 PM']A huge +1... er... how big can I make a +1? [size=7]+1[/size]

I'm beginning to wonder if they stock anything at all - despite what the web site says.[/quote]

:rolleyes: , I'll be sure to do so then! Thanks :)

Why not ring round the mainstream dealers as well (e.g. the ones that advertise in Bass Magazine)? With the exception of the one in Denmark Street they generally seem to have reasonable reputations. You can always claim you "might be in the area soon and would like to try one out" to see if they have stock. They might do a verbal deal also which a website won't.

[quote name='Lew-Bass' post='559647' date='Aug 3 2009, 08:58 PM']Thanks mate, fortunately they offer free delivery on the SR500L. What was the state of your bass like out of the box (action etc.)?[/quote]

I don't recall being asked for any setup preferences, but the action on said bass (Ibanez SRX500) hasn't been adjusted since I first got it. Whether or not this was the part of Ibanez or GAK, I certainly don't have any complaints about it.

[quote name='acidbass' post='559639' date='Aug 3 2009, 08:54 PM']I've dealt with GAK before, and IIRC they charged me an absolute fortune for delivery because it was to Northern Ireland........[/quote]

Should be the same as normal UK mail, all the companies we deal with at work charge the same rate for postage to Northern Ireland. Same as Channel Islands and Isle of Wight etc.

A bit underhand IMO, i hate getting overcharged for postage!

Another +1 for ringing up to check stock levels. When i was buying a Squier Jazz i rang around all the internet shops advertising the one i wanted, none had it in stock. Ended up getting it from Thomann

[quote name='Lew-Bass' post='559493' date='Aug 3 2009, 06:30 PM']I'm planning on getting an Ibanez SR500L in the near future, tried a righty in dolphinmusic today and it was great. I've had a quick scour and I can't find any second hand ones on the net in the UK, so I'm going to end up getting it new from an online store (unless one crops up on the bay or here!)

Both nevadamusic and GAK have it for sale at a very similar price, £439 and £442 respectively. So which one should I buy it from? Does anyone have any past experience with either? And if so did the bass come set-up? If somethings wrong are they easy to deal with?

Opinions.. past personal dealings.. fire away! Thanks :)[/quote]
Why not buy it from Dolphin seeing as you've already tried one there?
If they don't have the exact one you have perhaps they can get one in & if their price is higher than you've seen elsewhere perhaps there's some haggling room.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='559951' date='Aug 4 2009, 09:47 AM']Why not buy it from Dolphin seeing as you've already tried one there?
If they don't have the exact one you have perhaps they can get one in & if their price is higher than you've seen elsewhere perhaps there's some haggling room.[/quote]

The customer service was poor. He was pretty adament that they didn't do it anymore, but when ringing their warehouse or wherever to double-check he told me that the price has now been changed to £509!

Darren from Bass Merchant has sorted this out for me now. Excellent salesmanship and I'm more than happy to throw my business their way