Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder III Fretless FS

john_the_bass

Right then - this has gotta go, love it to bits, but it doesn't get played hardly ever. My foray into fretless isn't really necessary for the sort of stuff we're doing at the minute and I can't justify hanging on to it for the once in a blue moon dep gig.
It's nearly mint - there's a bit of wear on the board from using rounds sometime before I got it and I've now put a brand new set of D'Addario half rounds 45-105s on it. It's 18v active electronics (all work), P/J pickups, volume, passive tone and active tone, pickup selector switch, active/passive switch and two other switches I've never been able to work out what they do.

I don't really know what to ask for it to be honest, they're sort of few and far between - the most recent one I saw went for £330 on fleabay and this one is minter than that - so let's start off at £350 - including original case - feel free to attempt to beat me down!
Sort of thinking of trades now, see the post somewhere down there a bit

It's 1983 by the way.

Photos are a bit crap but that's the dining room light for you. I'll get some better ones if anybody wants any
Ta

Edited by john_the_bass

Glad you mentioned the light - I was thinking what on earth is going on with that scratch plate! I would like to wish you good luck with the sale but secretly I'm gnashing my teeth over having just started a new job and working my month in hand - funds are non existent. In the extremely unlikely event of this still being around in a month or so I might well be interested.

I love my fretted Thunder II. Anyone who is interested will get a good bass. Well looked after too by the looks of it. Wish mines looked that clean.

I would be tempted but I need other things so much more :) Like food for a start :huh:

I have never worked out exactly what the switches all do either haha!

Blimey
I knew they were getting sought after but I didn't think there'd be interest like this so quickly!

Here's the same pic as up there but with numbers [i]edited to show what they do now I found the manual online[/i]

1 = Pickup Selector - Up: Neck PU; Middle: Both PUs; Down: Bridge PU
2 = Master Volume
3 = Passive tone control - and active apparently. I noticed this worked better as a passive control
4 = Active tone control - Actually called Equalizer Tone. +-15db treble and bass. Treble one way, bass t'other
5 = coil tap switch. puts both pickups into single coil operation.
6 = phase switch. when the middle position on the PU selector switch (ie both PUs) is selected, this inverts the phasing of the bridge pickup relative to the neck pickup
7 = Active/passive selector.

Any q's, drop me a line.

Edited by john_the_bass

The brother is much better at taking photos than I am so I've got him on the case in good light.

I forgot to mention - the only things wrong of any note are the truss rod cover is missing a couple of screws and there is a tiny mark on the mark of the neck I can feel, but I can't see it. Not felt it during play though.

I've been thinking about the trades aspect.

Personally, I don't want (well need or require) another bass. However, if you have something that you're interested in trading that I would be able to sell for about the same value of this, then I am prepared to consider it - guitar or bass. I haven't got any cash to put towards it - I need the money really hence the sale, but you're more than welcome to put cash to your trade if you think I'll go for it. It's a nice bass and I'd like to sell it to somebody on here who will appreciate it, rather than see it go through evilbay. If I don't get a bite here in the next week it'll go on ebay to the highest bidder.

So What have you got? I might be quite fussy though!
Just thought I'd open it up.

[quote name='stingrayfan' date='Sep 11 2007, 09:31 PM' post='58978']
That's 80s Japanese bass erotica alright! Takes me back to watching "Rockschool" with Henry "King" Thumb. I only managed to afford a Thunder 1A in 1984, which I've still got to this day. Sure someone on here will want yours. Good luck & have a Thunderous bump on me.

MB1. :)

Henry "king thumb"Thomas used to endorse Westone.......the guitarist was Deidre Cartwright...... but who was the Drummer????

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='60239' date='Sep 14 2007, 08:59 AM']somebody lend him some money!
It's got to go - I now have guitar and basses cases under the window in the back bedroom and last night I was asked, "is all this stuff going to be here long?". I sincerely hope she means under the window and not a more general "in this house, in your possession".[/quote]
How long will you hang on to this? Or is it destined for the evil-bay?