Why become a member? ×

Decent, good value DI box.

JPS

[quote name='JPS' post='556920' date='Jul 31 2009, 10:42 AM']Can anyone recommend a decent, not too expensive DI box? I want to use it instead of the DI out on the back of my amp which seems very weak.

Cheers

JPS.[/quote]

If by "weak" you are referring to the signal level I don't think a DI box like the DI-100 would help you. AFAIK, the DI-100 (like many other DI boxes) works at 0dB gain. In a nutshell, the input signal is at the same level of the output signal.

There a several DI boxes on the market with a very wide price range. Do you have a rough idea of how much you would like to spend?

[quote name='BassBod' post='557192' date='Jul 31 2009, 03:44 PM']Look at the Orchid electronics site - around £35 and really good.[/quote]

[quote name='yorick' post='557197' date='Jul 31 2009, 03:49 PM']I got my ART DI from my local Reverb for £10. Not the best, but very useful.[/quote]

I may be wrong but if I understand correctly JPS' requirements none of them is suitable. He needs some boost/preamplification.

[quote name='JPS' post='556920' date='Jul 31 2009, 10:42 AM']Can anyone recommend a decent, not too expensive DI box? I want to use it instead of the DI out on the back of my amp which seems very weak.

Cheers

JPS.[/quote]

Do you need the DI for a connection to the PA? Power amp? Recording interface?

I would also be interested to know which amplifier you use. I am trying to understand if it is the signal coming out of the XLR of the amp that is too weak or the device you are connecting to that needs a strong signal.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='556936' date='Jul 31 2009, 10:56 AM']Have a look on Thomann, they have a wide variety at a range of prices.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html[/url][/quote]

+1
Thomann is a good starting point. They sell a lot of different [url="http://<a%20href="http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=di_boxes&oa=pra"%20target="_blank">http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=di_boxes&oa=pra</a>"]DI boxes[/url]

Unfortunately, they don’t sell [sfx] :)

It's for bigger gigs where I use my Trace Elliot AH500SMX. I use the XLR connection from the back of the amp into the mixing desk. Compared to my smaller amp - a Hartke Kickback 120 - the signal being sent to the mixing desk seems very weak. Ideally I'm looking for some way of being able to use the TE from time to time, but with a stronger singal being sent to the desk.

Hope that makes sense. As you can tell I'm not the most technically minded of blokes.

Cheers

JPS.

[quote name='JPS' post='557244' date='Jul 31 2009, 04:30 PM']It's for bigger gigs where I use my Trace Elliot AH500SMX. I use the XLR connection from the back of the amp into the mixing desk. Compared to my smaller amp - a Hartke Kickback 120 - the signal being sent to the mixing desk seems very weak. Ideally I'm looking for some way of being able to use the TE from time to time, but with a stronger singal being sent to the desk.

Hope that makes sense. As you can tell I'm not the most technically minded of blokes.

Cheers

JPS.[/quote]

The difference between Hartke and TE might be due to the fact that the Hartke sends a signal close to line level, the TE is probably closer to microphone level.

In theory it shoudn't be a problem. The mixing desk should have a input gain control that can be used to compensate for the low signal level coming from the TE.

[quote name='JPS' post='557269' date='Jul 31 2009, 04:53 PM']Thanks for that. I will suggest that, although the singer who sets up and runs the PA may have already tried that. Could it not be a problem with my TE?[/quote]

It is possible that the TE dropped one side of the balanced line. The signal would still go thrugh the cable but attenuated. It is difficult to know for sure without testing the XLR output.

There could be fault with the trace XLR, but more likely (as suggested) its the difference between mic level and "line" level...as I understand it there isn't much of a standard amongst amp makers. I've had numerous complaints over the years with various amps' XLR output being "too hot" or "not there" or "too noisy"...usually the desk can take either./or be adjusted to a working level.

The only failsafe method I know of is using a jack line output from the amp into a good passive DI box that sends a mic level signal with no added circuit noise or hum issues. Also usually works fine with active DIs provided they have a line or attenuated input...but they can overload. And not in a nice way.

[quote name='Linus27' post='558609' date='Aug 2 2009, 05:04 PM']Sorry if a bit of a thread hi-jack but is it best to use the DI on the amp head (Shuttle 6 in this case) or to always use a DI box? If a DI Box is the better method then I to will be looking for a DI Box.[/quote]

I think it is better to use the one that sounds better :)

If you are happy with the sound of the XLR out of your amp and you are not looking for new ways to improve your sound there is no reason to use a separate DI box.

Technically speaking, if the DI box is inserted just before the amp input, the signal sent to the PA doesn't go through the first stages of the amp so you instrument is likely it sounds cleaner.

It depends on the amp but with a good DI (something like an Avalon U5 for example) I would very surprised if you couldn't hear the difference.

“Clean” doesn’t necessarily mean better of course. If you like the sound of an old Ampeg working near the saturation point, you may not like the ultra-clean sound of the bass coming out of a good quality DI.

Personally, I love the sound of a very linear, zero-distortion preamplification. I have the feeling it is the real sound of my bass (and my fingers) but I understand it is not for everybody.

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='558652' date='Aug 2 2009, 06:26 PM']I think it is better to use the one that sounds better :rolleyes:

If you are happy with the sound of the XLR out of your amp and you are not looking for new ways to improve your sound there is no reason to use a separate DI box.

Technically speaking, if the DI box is inserted just before the amp input, the signal sent to the PA doesn't go through the first stages of the amp so you instrument is likely it sounds cleaner.

It depends on the amp but with a good DI (something like an Avalon U5 for example) I would very surprised if you couldn't hear the difference.

“Clean” doesn’t necessarily mean better of course. If you like the sound of an old Ampeg working near the saturation point, you may not like the ultra-clean sound of the bass coming out of a good quality DI.

Personally, I love the sound of a very linear, zero-distortion preamplification. I have the feeling it is the real sound of my bass (and my fingers) but I understand it is not for everybody.[/quote]

To be honest, I don't know what I prefer as I have not gigged the shuttle 6 yet. I was just wondering if there really was a peference to which is considered the better option, DI Box or DI on the head. I guess with all things, there is no easy answer :)

you can make a really good passive one for extremely cheap depending on the quality of transformer you want to use!

[url="http://www.whirlwindusa.com/i1/dischem.jpg"]http://www.whirlwindusa.com/i1/dischem.jpg[/url] - that is essentially all you need alot more simple than it seems

Edited by umph

[quote name='Linus27' post='558684' date='Aug 2 2009, 07:23 PM']To be honest, I don't know what I prefer as I have not gigged the shuttle 6 yet. I was just wondering if there really was a peference to which is considered the better option, DI Box or DI on the head. I guess with all things, there is no easy answer :)[/quote]

I think a lot depends by what you mean by "better option". :rolleyes:

IMO, unless the XLR output on the amp doesn't sound good, for live applications, I would use the XLR signal from the amp.

For recording, unless one is totally in love with the sound coming out from the XLR out of the amp, I would recommend a high-quality DI.

There is a third option. Some bass players connect a high quality DI/preamplifier to the return jack socket of the amp. This bypass the preamplifier of the amplifier. The same DI also sends a signal to the PA. It is very minimalist configuration but it sounds fantastic with high quality gear.

with my PA hat on here....

low signal should not really be a problem. get the PA guy to boost the gain.
I would also try it with a new cable, it could be that.

Also how are you using the amp? trace have the wee lights to set the gain level dont they? make sure you set it high enough (and then turn down the volume on the power amp :) )

When my old band played the bigger gigs I generaly would plug into the venues DI box then link out of that to my amp. Some gigs they then mic'ed the bass amp too so they could blend the signal.