Why become a member? ×

A pair of 'Parts Specials'

Mr.T

[attachment=30016:P_and_J.JPG]Not really full-on builds, but hey, as most of the parts were bought through this site.....

Anyway, the g****rist in my band recently put together a Str*t that he loves.
And, having been building and customising motorcycles and the odd HotRod for 30 years.
I thought that I would 'put together' a couple of (ahem) Fenders.
I have all the tools to drill accurate holes, level and dress frets, cut nuts, paint & lacquer, solder, etc.... so why not?

I've been a Status player for 20 years and (try as I like) have never really gotten on with the worlds most favoured brand!
Maybe this would change if I 'built' one?

The Precision is a Jap Fender body with a Mighty Mite Jazz profile neck, Wizard Thumper pickup, Schaller 3d bridge.
The Jazz has a body of unknown origin, again a Mighty Mite neck, Wizard 84's and a Gotoh bridge.

Hope you like them........

Hey Myke, I recognise that Gotoh! Nice looking pair of basses. IMHO a tort guard on a white Jazz looks the dogs doodahs and it would match your P-bass neatly - just a thought! Have your new pair cured you of your anti-Fender affliction?

Edited by Clarky

I totally agree about a tort guard, but not sure about what will fit.
I tried a guard from a 'Geddy' but it was miles out!

I will probably gig with the Jazz tomorrow night.... and report back.

Actually, that's a different Gotoh.
I bought yours for my next project... a naked, ash bodied P/J.

(I think I am getting the bug for building.... still it's cheaper than bikes and cars).... :)

[quote name='Mr.T' post='556740' date='Jul 31 2009, 01:37 AM'](I think I am getting the bug for building.... still it's cheaper than bikes and cars).... :)[/quote]

How about a heavily laquered, natural , active no-pickguard Jazz with a pup swing pot rather than 2 vols and a graphite Precision neck.

Have a fair bit of a Status feel to it I'd have thought.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='556952' date='Jul 31 2009, 11:06 AM']How about a heavily laquered, natural , active no-pickguard Jazz with a pup swing pot rather than 2 vols and a graphite Precision neck.

Have a fair bit of a Status feel to it I'd have thought.[/quote]

I don't need any encouragement!!!! :)

Well, I guess if I came across a Status neck.......

[quote name='WarPig' post='557069' date='Jul 31 2009, 01:11 PM']Looking good Myke!
Have you decided what youre going to do about the jazz guard? Make one yourself?

Nothing beats a p-bass loaded with a thumper too![/quote]

If I can find one that fits, it would be easier.
I could make one, but not sure how I would get the bevelled edge?

[quote name='budget bassist' post='557096' date='Jul 31 2009, 01:33 PM']might i ask about cost? i wouldn't mind trying my luck with a jazz bass again...[/quote]

I could be persuaded to sell.... For the cost of the parts and a bit of cash for my time.

I have played quite a few Fenders over the years, and can honestly say that both of these play far better than any I have tried in the past.
Probably a combination of using 'good' parts and spending a lot of time setting them up!
Both of these basses can be run at 2mm string height with no rattles.

(I hope that didn't sound arrogant).

not arrogant at all, most fenders come with crap bridges etc and don't get a lot of care taken on the factory setup

and i'm not interested in buying, just wondering what the cost was in a sort of ball park figure if i decide to do something similar myself. I have a bit of a project going on that i should probably finish soon if i pull my finger out. If i get that done then i may look at something else like a jazz or precision or something.

Two really nice looking basses there, especially the Jazz. Where did you get the Jazz decal from? I've been searching about for a 70s style Jazz logo to go on my Marcus Miller which currently has a WD neck, and the blank headstock looks a bit wrong IMO.

[quote name='WarPig' post='557069' date='Jul 31 2009, 01:11 PM']Nothing beats a p-bass loaded with a thumper too![/quote]

Ive got a new Thumper on mine, cant wait to get it all soldered up!

[quote name='Mr.T' post='557080' date='Jul 31 2009, 01:19 PM']I could make one, but not sure how I would get the bevelled edge?[/quote]

Rough cut the outline of the scratchguard to within 2mm of the line, then stick it down onto the top of your MDF template using double sided tape.

Break out the router and tidy up the outline using a straight cutter, followed but a 45 degree chamfer cutter, lowering the bit in several passes.

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='Jono Bolton' post='557809' date='Aug 1 2009, 02:30 PM']Two really nice looking basses there, especially the Jazz. Where did you get the Jazz decal from? I've been searching about for a 70s style Jazz logo to go on my Marcus Miller which currently has a WD neck, and the blank headstock looks a bit wrong IMO.[/quote]

Thanks mate!

I'll PM you about the transfer.
I lacquered both of mine with 2-pack, then flatted the headstocks back to a semi-gloss finish.... so the edges can't be seen or felt.