Why become a member? ×

Volume Levels Of MP3 Files

Hot Tub

Quick question (I hope!)....

I have a number of tracks on my MP3 player (Tascam MP-BT1) and they have a vast range of volume levels. I'm not talking about the dynamic range of a song; think of it as playing a CD and the songs are all at different volumes and you have to continually adjust the volume control while listening. (Is this making any sense at all???)

I have Windows Media Player and Adobe Audition 1.5 Is there any way I can level everything so that all tracks play at roughly the same volume?

Many thanks!

:)

Run them through a DAW that has normalization of audio files on,something like wave lab or similar would do it or any sample manipulation program. You can then set the normalization level and run each mp3 through and save each normalized track. That way the tracks will all come out at the same level. :). Adobe audition was cool edit pro i think so it should have a normalization feature somewhere.

Edited by YouMa

[quote name='YouMa' post='554544' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:43 PM']Run them through a DAW that has normalization of audio files on,something like wave lab or similar would do it or any sample manipulation program. You can then set the normalization level and run each mp3 through and save each normalized track. That way the tracks will all come out at the same level. :). Adobe audition was cool edit pro i think so it should have a normalization feature somewhere.[/quote]

Cheers! Will have a browse through Audition and see what it's got.

Erm.... <embarrassed>.... What's DAW? (Not just what does it stand for, but what is it?)

:rolleyes:

Digital Audio Workstation - usually used to describe sequencers (e.g. Cubase, Sonar) but since they do much more than MIDI sequencing these days a new term was coined for them.

EVERY wave editor will have a normalise function. Even the free ones they give away in cereal packets.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='555589' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:07 PM']Digital Audio Workstation - usually used to describe sequencers (e.g. Cubase, Sonar) but since they do much more than MIDI sequencing these days a new term was coined for them.

EVERY wave editor will have a normalise function. Even the free ones they give away in cereal packets.[/quote]

Thank-you!

OK, will have a looky through Audition tomorrow. :)

normalise will help BUT all it can do is make the loudest level in a track hit 0db (max loudness). If the dynamic range of that track is wider than most (the peaks are higher than the average on the rest of the tracks) you will still suffer the same issue. Then you have two choices - make the loudest tracks quieter, or compress the quieter tracks. You are getting into the beginnings of mastering at this point...

If you dont want to have to master it yourself ther is another option...

Foobar2000 is really helpful here. It can set replaygain on mp3 files then run a conversion including the replay gain tweak. This will take into account peaks versus average vol etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

Turns out that Audition has a "Group Waveform Normalise" function which seems to do what I want. It will bring the loud tracks down, and the quieter tracks up, to an auto-average point, or to a level which I can select. As I type this, it's currently analysing all the tracks on the other computer and I can see already from the "Eq-loud" figures that the levels are all over the place. It's working on a couple of hundred tracks (my bass playlist) as a batch, so may take some time.

I shall post the results when it's finished. Sometime after the 2012 Olympics. Probably.

:)

I use media monkey (similar to Windows Media Player) with my cowon s9 mp3 player and i'm pretty sure it has a feature like this as well which will go through all the music on your computer and sort out the volume levels. Not sure how well it works though as most of my music is at the same level anyway!

Oh, it's a free program by the way. Worth a try if all else fails.