Why become a member? ×

Latency problems - help needed

butlerk02

Guys,

I've posted this on a few other fourms but don't seem to be getting much help.

Have searched a few places now and can't seen to get to the bottom of my problem.

Basically, I'm using GB and Reason 4. My midi keyboard works fine with both GB and reason 4 individually, but when I slave reason into GB, i get slight latency.

The only thing I think it can be is that I'm using usb to power the keyboard (oxygen8 v2) and when playing the notes with my mouse I get no latency at all.

Any other suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Keith

Sorry I can't help, it's not my field of expertise, however...

I would like to know why you need to do this? Can't you just record the MIDI data into GB or Reason, and then use this to drive the reason instrument from GB? I assume you want to slave Reason to GB as you have other stuff running in GB at the same time - you wouldn't want to do that for a live appliction would you?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='549155' date='Jul 23 2009, 04:58 PM']Sorry I can't help, it's not my field of expertise, however...

I would like to know why you need to do this? Can't you just record the MIDI data into GB or Reason, and then use this to drive the reason instrument from GB? I assume you want to slave Reason to GB as you have other stuff running in GB at the same time - you wouldn't want to do that for a live appliction would you?[/quote]

Thanks cheddatom,

I know what you mean by recording the midi data into GB, then moving it over to Reason, and there are a few other work around's. Ideally, I'd just like to be able to get rid of the latency issue so that I can play the audio tracks in GB, and then play along with Drums in Reason (without the latency) at the same time.

Its just baffling me as I get no latency whatsoever when using each individually.

I might be getting logic express tonight si I'll see if that remedies the problem.

Cheers
Keith

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='549445' date='Jul 23 2009, 10:08 PM']The program slaving actually causes latency. i use that set up at college and we always get latency with Re-Wire slaving. Whether its from Reason to Logic, Reason to GB or any of the other way round. its an un-avoidable problem, well, saying that, you could try to turn down the signal from 44100 to 22000[/quote]

Cheers,

Does this happen in all DAWS, or just GB?

I use Cubase and Rewire to use Reason for drums, but I program them. I don't have a MIDI keyboard so never came accross the problem. When I play the notes on the virtual keyboard in cubase I don't think there's any latency with the drum sounds from Reason.

Perhaps you could somehow get the keyboard to go directly to Reason rather than through GB to reason. The outputs will still be available in Rewire to listen back into GB.

[quote name='YouMa' post='550406' date='Jul 24 2009, 05:13 PM']Download asio4all,these drivers are brilliant and free,even if your soundcard is basic you can get near 0 latency.[/quote]

Yeh, sorry, I forgot the basics - what card are you using and what drivers?

[quote name='butlerk02' post='551661' date='Jul 26 2009, 11:18 AM']Hi,

I'm using a focusrite saffire with a macbook.[/quote]

In which case you probably have much better drivers than ASIO4ALL.

Have you looked for a way to do this? "Perhaps you could somehow get the keyboard to go directly to Reason rather than through GB to reason. The outputs will still be available in Rewire to listen back into GB."

I know, for example, you can have MIDI data in the Reason sequencer and still run that in slave mode to cubase.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='553694' date='Jul 28 2009, 11:14 AM']In which case you probably have much better drivers than ASIO4ALL.

Have you looked for a way to do this? "Perhaps you could somehow get the keyboard to go directly to Reason rather than through GB to reason. The outputs will still be available in Rewire to listen back into GB."

I know, for example, you can have MIDI data in the Reason sequencer and still run that in slave mode to cubase.[/quote]

I'm not sure how i'd do that to be honest.

I've kind of given up trying to use reason for drums for the time being. I've got myself a copy of addictive drums and that works well for me for now.

Have you tried this...
[url="http://www.propellerheads.se/substance/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_article&article=tutorials"]http://www.propellerheads.se/substance/ind...ticle=tutorials[/url]
Might be some...

I use Cubase as the host then rewire Ableton into that, with no problems.
I have in the past used Cubase as a host and rewired Reason into that, once again no problems.
It could be a GB problem.

Garry