Why become a member? ×

What cab to ad

bubinga5

Need a cab to add to my Agy 212...I was going to get an another Aguilar 212 as i borrowed one that had to go back, but i was wondering what else i should consider that would fit the 212....

My experience and knowledge of amps/cabs is not great....
Thanks

Edited by bubinga5

The problem with pairing a 112 (I assume you meant 112, and not 121) with a 212 is that if they are the same impedance, then each speaker in the 112 will be taking twice as much power as each speaker in the 212.

Have you considered a second, matching 212?

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='547812' date='Jul 22 2009, 04:42 PM']The problem with pairing a 112 (I assume you meant 112, and not 121) with a 212 is that if they are the same impedance, then each speaker in the 112 will be taking twice as much power as each speaker in the 212.

Have you considered a second, matching 212?

S.P.[/quote]
No i meant 212 AARGHH..... i would be after a 212 but could you recommend a few makes that i could use alone or match with the Agy..

post edited

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='547851' date='Jul 22 2009, 05:17 PM']You could use any make, but there's no telling how it will sound until you try it. Is there any particular reason why you are opposed to getting a matching Aguilar 212, or is it just curiosity?

S.P.[/quote]Curiosity...

.A Quick Q...My aguilar is 500 watts at 4ohms and 250w at 8 ohms...my 212 is 600watts at 4-8 0hms and i wanted to run a 112...300 watts at 8ohms is this not possible..or would i have to run them in parallel....Excuse my lack of knowledge..

if it is the DB 2x12..then you can add the DB 2x10 and that sounds like a great complimentary cab, IMV..power-wise and looks.

If your Ag is a GS, then you have less options from a cosmetic POV.. maybe look at the Berg 2x10 which is near fit but you might have to check whether the cab would be stacked on its side and whether that is a problem.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='548039' date='Jul 22 2009, 07:36 PM']4ohms or 8 ohms Alex..i have to ad a cab that is 4 0hms, am i right?[/quote]

If you are going to link a lower powered cab together on a mono output, then make it a higher impedance that the more powerful cab...that way more power should go to the bigger more powerful cab by way of the speaker resistance (ohms)

I do think that a 2 x12 and 1x12 is a bit of a mismatch powerwise tho.. and I'd be wary

It would matter less with a stereo output and you would have some output control on the master volumes..

If your cab is 8 ohms you can add a second 8 ohm cab. If your cab is 4 ohms you cannot add another cab. Your cab cannot be both a 4 ohm cab and an 8 ohm cab, it has to be one or the other. If you add another cab it should have similar excursion limited power handling or it will fart out prematurely - that means any current 1x12"s on the market are unsuitable, likewise almost all 2x10"s. Plenty of 2x12"s and a few 1x15"s that could keep up but whether they'll prove a good match sonically is a case of trial and error.

Why do you need another cab? Most players would find that 2x12" loud enough.

Alex