Why become a member? ×

Mint Stingray 4 fretless

solo4652

Thanks to MB1 and mrcrow for bumping my ad!

The fretless 'Ray is now definitely for sale: Here are the pictures:

[attachment=30454:Stingray_1.JPG] [attachment=30455:Stingray_2.JPG] [attachment=30456:Stingray_3.JPG]

[attachment=30457:Stingray_4.JPG] [attachment=30458:Stingray_5.JPG]

Serial No: E12423. I've checked this with EBMM and the date of manufacture is 23rd February 2000. They also confirm the body colour as Pearl Lavender (discontinued in 2002, I'm told) and the fingerboard as Pau Ferro. To quote EBMM: "...most likley the only one we ever made exactly like this". It went straight to Bass World in Kent where it remained on display until I bought it in June this year. It is extremely rare to the point of being possibly unique!

4-string
3 EQ model
Fretless board
Maple neck
Complete with original MM hrdshell case
Fully checked and set up by instrument tech.
Still under shop's warranty which is transferable to new owner

I've played it no more than 10 times, and only in the bedroom. It's never been played live, gigged or even used for rehearsals. Consequently, it's in MINT condition. Technically "used", but effectively it's "as new". It still has the protective film on the pickguard! I keep getting it out and gazing at it wistfully since it is a thing of rarity and beauty.

But, I'm not getting on with the Stingray tone. I realise I prefer a P-tone. Bit of a shame, really.

Putting a price on it has been difficult becuase of its mint condition and rarity. I've searched ther web for new fretless 'Rays - they're about £1300 - but they're not really directly comparable to this one. I've taken it into 2 music shops and asked for a valuation too. The result is I'm putting it up for sale at £900, which I think is realistic.

I'm in Stockport. Anybody who wants to pop round for a cuppa, a chat and noodle on the 'Ray is more than welcome. My email: [email protected]

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' post='568659' date='Aug 14 2009, 09:09 AM']It nearly went to Europe, but it's still here.

I'm open to offers around £900 or thereabouts.

Steve[/quote]

When I say "it", I'm referring to the Stingray.

[quote name='MB1' post='576029' date='Aug 20 2009, 08:20 PM']MB1. :rolleyes:
....A Thumbrest?.... :lol:[/quote]

Yeah - shameful, eh? Don't tell anybody, please.

I was struggling with resting my thumb on the pup - it was too far back for me. Try as I might, I couldn't play with a "floating thumb" either - I need to anchor somewhere. So, somewhat reluctantly, I put the thumbrest on today, and it really has made the difference between being able to play the bass, and not. If it makes it a little more palatable, I've tried to hide the thumbrest by putting a white one onto a white pickguard. Is that OK?? :)

[quote name='martthebass' post='576906' date='Aug 21 2009, 05:26 PM']Good decision. But................thumbrest:rolleyes:[/quote]

Yes, yes, I know - I'm not fond of them myself! But, when it makes the difference between being able to play a bass, and not - it's time to just get on with it. I wish I could master the floating thumb technique but, try as I might, I can't.

[quote name='solo4652' post='577034' date='Aug 21 2009, 07:35 PM']Yes, yes, I know - I'm not fond of them myself! But, when it makes the difference between being able to play a bass, and not - it's time to just get on with it. I wish I could master the floating thumb technique but, try as I might, I can't.[/quote]

I know where you're coming from. I've never had a problem playing on the pup but I can see that it wouldn't exactly coax a warm sound out of a fretless. Never been good at floating thumb either. btw I think the Ray 20th anni F'less went for about £830ish in the end (not to me tho) - strange it failed to sell at £800 the first time around.

Edited by martthebass