Why become a member? ×

Mint Stingray 4 fretless

solo4652

Hi,

I've ofered this to Greeneking as a beginners bass. If he doesn't have it, then it's for sale.

[attachment=29336:Blondie_1.JPG] [attachment=29337:Blondie_2.JPG] [attachment=29338:Blondie_3.JPG] [attachment=29339:Blondie_4.JPG]

[attachment=29340:Blondie_5.JPG]

This will make a great backup, beater or project bass. I bought this from a fellow BC'er a few months ago as a back up for my G&L Tribute. But, I've just bought another G&L...

It's a Vintage V4 P copy in cream(ish), with rosewood (?) fingerboard. I'm afraid I don't know how old it is. It has the Wilkinson tuners, and I'm pretty sure it has the original Wilkinson pups and bridge, although I can't be certain. In the photos, it's fitted with a brass nut which was all wrong and causing string-height and intonation problems. So, I had it (professionally) replaced and a setup done. It now plays really smoothly with string-height of 2.5mm at 12th fret. The cavities were also lined with foil. It does the P tone amazingly well.

It has had some "antiquing", as you'll see. Some yellowy/cream overspraying on the upper horn and some paint removal on the upper edge and the back of the body. At the top-back of the neck, behind the nut are some small dings in the neck. Some sratches and dings around the edge of the pickguard, and pup screws. I emphasise that none of this affects the playability at all - it's all been done to give it an aged look. To set it all off, there is a "Fender" decal on the headstock. Comes with a reasonable gigbag too.

I'm happy to post, no problem.

£85 sound about right?

Steve

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='solo4652' post='550274' date='Jul 24 2009, 03:17 PM']Definitely now for sale. Looks a bit scruffy, but plays nicely. Classic, warm P-tone right here for £85. Complete bargain.[/quote]

another bump for the stockport lad...that bass looks bullet proof :)

Thanks for the bump mrcrow.

I'm sailing at Abersoch Dinghy Week until 1st August ("Absolutely Fabulous" in the Fireball fleet if anybody wants to come and say hello). So, I'll not be answering messages until then.

So, the Vintage will need to go when I return because I've just bought another G&L Tribute.

I'll probably put this up for sale too when I get back:

[attachment=29549:Stingray_1.JPG]

Steve

[quote name='BassBunny' post='551123' date='Jul 25 2009, 02:34 PM']Uhmmmm. Is it a Stingray????[/quote]
Yes... i always find the unique body shape and hedstock decal to be a giveaway :)

bump for the vintage p, excellent value for money instruments

[quote name='BassBunny' post='551829' date='Jul 26 2009, 03:28 PM']Hi Peter, It could be Green Mann[/quote]

Hi all,

Just back from a wet and windy week-long sailing regatta, and feeling my age.

BassBunny is absolutely right. It was Greene-Mann not Greenking who posted the "Beginners bass wanted" ad to which I responded a few weeks ago. My apologies to everybody for the unintended confusion. Doooh.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='551205' date='Jul 25 2009, 04:40 PM']Agree they got a great write up when they were launched.[/quote]

The Vintage Fender-a-like is still for sale. Cracking bass for this price. Any trial welcome.

Steve

[quote name='BassBunny' post='551123' date='Jul 25 2009, 02:34 PM']Uhmmmm. Is it a Stingray????[/quote]

It most definitely is a bona fide, un-mucked-about-with Stingray! I checked the serial number with EBMM customer service who confirmed that it was made 23rd February 2000. Also confirmed was the original body colour of Pearl Lavender and fretless fingerboard made of Pau Ferro. So, it's not a refin. I believe this colour was discontinued in 2001 or 2002. Quote from EBMM: "...most probably the only bass like this we ever made"! Rare, or what?!

I've had some PM interest about the bass and I'll respond to these first. If it's still unsold, I'll put it up as officially For Sale.

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' post='557752' date='Aug 1 2009, 01:12 PM']Hi all,

Just back from a wet and windy week-long sailing regatta, and feeling my age.

BassBunny is absolutely right. It was Greene-Mann not Greenking who posted the "Beginners bass wanted" ad to which I responded a few weeks ago. My apologies to everybody for the unintended confusion. Doooh.[/quote]

By way of a bump!

Not a problem, I kinda half guessed it was the other Green :)

Do you sail Solo's too?

Peter - ex Enterprise racer

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='558988' date='Aug 3 2009, 09:26 AM']By way of a bump!

Not a problem, I kinda half guessed it was the other Green :)

Do you sail Solo's too?

Peter - ex Enterprise racer[/quote]

Yes - I sail Solo's, and Corby 25's and Squibs, and Fireballs, and J-80's. PM sent.