Why become a member? ×

AC/DC Tribute Band

acidbass

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1424634297' post='2698609']
Towngate Theatre by chance?
[/quote]

Just got home from this gig. Turned out that for some reason "hells bells" were replaced at the last minute by "wholelottaDC". I was mightly impressed. Been home 2hrs and my ears are still ringing! :D

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1424641556' post='2698719']
Seen a few bands do AC/DC stuff over the years and funnily enough it's the rhythm section that often comes up short, esp. Malcolm Young's rhythm parts/feel.

Bit like seeing bands doing Stones covers - few tend to nail Keef's parts/feel.
[/quote]

Because people think AC/DC music is easy to play, they tend to play the easy or obvious option. Whereas Malcolm often uses different chord voicings and inversions.

I think there are three different types of covers band.

1 Tongue in cheek/piss taking, treat the whole thing like a joke and think the audience will too
2. They are serious and reasonably true to the original, but make small changes that will be guaranteed to annoy the hell out of a knowledgable audience
3 Are true/accurate to the original, with all those little bits that a knowledgable audience will appreciate, not only in sound but even make a serious attempt to dress and act like the original

In my opinion ;)

Many many years ago a mate and I briefly considered joining a fledgling Eagles tribute band (fledgling... Eagles... geddit??!?!!??!?!!?). Our decision not to was based in large part on our realising just how many Eagles tribs are already doing the rounds. AFAIK the project never got off the ground.

There's a lot to be said for playing straight and simple bass lines. You get to enjoy the atmosphere better cause you don't need to focus and concentrate as much.
You can then get into the part a lot more readily.
I quite enjoy doing the simple rock stuff.
Hardest part will be keeping that perfect solid bass line song after song. That can be quite painful on the fingers till you get the hang of it.
I'd go for it and enjoy it for what it is. Good fun.

Dave

Sounds like a really good opportunity. It's music that is fun as hell to play and if the money is good you can't lose.

I would bet there will be a lot of competition for this spot. Over pre-pare, verify audition song keys and work on backing vocals if needed or not needed.Showing any level of vocal ability might set you apart from some of the other interested parties.

Blue

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1429471941' post='2751730']
There's a lot to be said for playing straight and simple bass lines. You get to enjoy the atmosphere better cause you don't need to focus and concentrate as much.
[/quote]

I disagree with this. . . a lot!

If you want to do it properly every bass line needs maximum focus and concentration.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1429482245' post='2751895']

If you want to do it properly every bass line needs maximum focus and concentration.
[/quote]

Agreed, nothing done right is easy, especially songs that seem to be easy. You can enjoy the atmosphere after you have the song mastered inside out.

Blue

Absolutely, I find that every now and then a simple line gives me too much time to think and that's when I get into trouble :P . Have to make sure
I'm really keeping focused and give the line 100%.

Anyway OP, hope it goes well for you, should be a really fun gig!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1429482245' post='2751895']

[/quote]

Also, as I found from personal experience, the 'tribute band audience' will probably know what you're playing at least as well as you! :D

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1248111333' post='545581']
Not wishing to counter-assert - but are they? There's a surfeit of Jam, Beatles, Stones - but can only think of 3 or 4 AC/DC in the UK. Then, I'm probably talking bollocks again.

[/quote] There is - or was - 1 based in Humberside with the joyous name of 'Highway to Hull' !!