Why become a member? ×

Markbass 121H combo

WalMan

Thought I'd got the same thing, but judging from the pictures mine is obviously without the horn as it is smaller.

Got sick of lugging my Trace 1 x 15 combo around, and was intending to get the 102P combo, but when I found that the 1 x 12 sounded more or less the same, but half the size, I took the chance. I still struggle mentally with standing in front of something so small, but it's as loud as my Trace was, sounds better, and can be lifted WITH ONE FINGER!!

First outing to band practice it stood up fine at about 30% volume. Will ahve to wait a couple of weeks to gig it properly, but I can't wait!

I love being able to simply work the sound with the VLE/VPF dials and leave the EQ flat. Sonic variation is stunning - far more usable tones than Tracey had.

Very pleased so far.

Might get another cab for it some time, if the venues demand.

[quote name='theosd' post='60347' date='Sep 14 2007, 12:25 PM']I want an Orange!![/quote] - and a truss I should think unless they bring out a Tiny Terror for bass. :) #2 son has a TT amongst other things and it is great

[quote name='theosd' post='60347' date='Sep 14 2007, 12:25 PM']The only qualm I had is that it is still quite boxy (about 1" difference in terms of not fitting in my boot, it travels on the back seat)[/quote] - Yes. One of my "requirements" was that it would slot in the back of the estate alongside the rack and so that I could easily pull the boot cover over to hide everything. As it stands it is about 1/4" too tall the way I think it needs to go, but taking everything else into account I don't really care!! I shall have another go at rearranging the boot tomorrow.

[quote name='theosd' post='60347' date='Sep 14 2007, 12:25 PM']I'd rather have seen a handle on the side, so you don't havta lift the amp so high up when you're going upstairs).[/quote] Agreed. That would certainly seem a better place for it

[quote name='theosd' post='60347' date='Sep 14 2007, 12:25 PM']Soundwise this amp is faultless; still haven't found my ideal tone through it, just because there's so much variety, yet when you want clarity and honesty of your bass's tone, just set everything to 0 and what comes out is still astounding![/quote] +1 to the last. It really needed no tweaking at all at r/h on Tuesday evening.

I had thought of getting the extension 12 cab, or building a BFM Omni 12, but I really do not think I need either.

And I suppose I should add the scores on the doors
[list]
[*][b]Features[/b] - 9[indent]A pair of inputs (including one balanced),
gain with a clip light,
EQ = low, low mid,mid high & high,
VLE & VPF filters and master on the front (explained above & in the [url="http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=3&vedi=40"]manual[/url]).
On the back a second speaker out on a speakon,
balanced line out & ground lift,
effect loop & tuner out.
300W on its own, but 500W with an extension cab @ 4 ohm.
1 x 12" + 1" HF compression driver and a rear facing port on the cab
Freq resp 45Hz - 20kHz & 99dB sensitivity

There might be some control on the tweeter, but I have never had occasion to use such a control in the past and can see no great need with this combo. Could also have a compressor, but I have never really used one of those either so I was not too bothered. No level controls on the line out or loop, but again no biggie[/indent]
[*][b]Sound[/b] - 10[indent]There seems to be plenty of range in tone shaping with the 4 way eq & 2 x filters, but that said both my basses into the front with the tone controls flat and filters off sound great.[/indent]
[*][b]Reliability [/b]- No opinion, it's too soon
[*][b]Customer Service[/b] - No opinion, I've had no need to call on them yet and hope I never will!
[*][b]Overall [/b]- 10[indent]First impressions are of a cracking little amp that weighs next to nothing, but happily cranks out a good sound all night long - at least that is the impression gained on the first use in anger. Time will tell.

I have marked it down slightly on features, but for me loads of bells & whistles are not necessarily a requirement. Far batter to achieve a good musical tone with the controls flat with the ability to tweak if needs be for a room, etc., and this combo does seem to do this well.[/indent]
[/list]

[quote name='WalMan' post='60584' date='Sep 14 2007, 08:31 PM']And I suppose I should add the scores on the doors
[list]
[*][b]Features[/b] - 9[indent]A pair of inputs (including one balanced),[/quote]

Where's the balanced one? on the back? I really ought to spend some time with it ...!

[quote name='theosd' post='61411' date='Sep 16 2007, 10:17 PM']Where's the balanced one? on the back? I really ought to spend some time with it ...![/quote]
The balanced in is on the front above the normal input.

[attachment=2494:FrontPanel.jpg]

I ran the balanced line out (non model) from the Bass Pod into that Saturday & all seemed to go fine.

[Edit] :) Hurrah I have just worked out attachments at loooooong last

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='WalMan' post='61488' date='Sep 17 2007, 05:51 AM']The balanced in is on the front above the normal input.

I ran the balanced line out (non model) from the Bass Pod into that Saturday & all seemed to go fine.[/quote]

Is this a recent addition? I've got to go look :)

I don't remember there being two inputs...!!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='89097' date='Nov 15 2007, 07:33 PM']Seriously, just how loud is this amp?
by what I checked out in the manual, it blows my mind that something that small and with only a 12" can disperse 400w of raw power... how does it handle at high volumes and with basses with strong outputs like a stingray for example? does it lose definition?[/quote]
[size=7][i][b]LOUD!!![/b][/i][/size]

The speaker on its own is rated 400w. The amp on its own is 350w rising to 500w with an extension cab.

It has no problems with the Wal, which probably has a stronger out than the MM SUB. And is also happy with the MM SUB5 down to the low B.

Generally it pumps out a good sound all evening without apparently breaking into a sweat. And that is with the controls (other than gain & master) left pretty much flat (for tone) or off (for the filters), possibly a slight boost to bass & treble with the mids flat, but it is the very slightest boost.

Last Monday at rehearsal it was up against a Rogers kit, Marshall TSL60 combo and the foldback for vocals in a largish, boomy village hall. I kept having to turn it down. The master started at around 10 o'clock and ended up down below 9 o'clock, and it was still a tad too loud even then.
[attachment=3570:FrontPanel_a.jpg]
This is in a band doing rock covers - Whitesnake, Kiss, Aerosmith etc - (see the [url="http://www.myspace.com/the_alibi"]band MySpace[/url] though the tracks there are just the Pod from the stagebox to the ADAT multitracker)

It is one of these new D class power amps (I think that's what they call them). Most of the weight loss in the head is the transformer I believe.

As mentioned before when gigging I run a Bass Pod xt Pro to the PA & the combo is mainly to shift a bit of air on "stage". I have to say though that I think it would quite happily handle small to medium pub gigs with no problem at all.

If you are thinking of something like the GK MB112's as a comparison, don't. I had one of those years ago and the CMD121H is [u][b]nothing[/b][/u] like that in power terms - though the latter is of course somewhat bigger in all dimensions and power rating.

Otherwise, no change to the marks given previously so far

Edited by WalMan

I played a gig through one of the MB 121H combos at The Bedford in Balham, it was certainly loud and very portable which was a revelation. But still had that rubber bandy quality to the sound even when I set it flat and the controls were awkward to get to in a pinch on a darkened stage. I thought that the amp was about 70% of the way in terms of its design. A bit of a shame really, otherwise I would have taken it over my much less portable GK RB700's. Who knows though, I might end up playing a bass which the MB gear is perfect for and certainly wouldn't discount it.

[quote name='OldGit' post='89287' date='Nov 16 2007, 11:04 AM']That's a new one .. :)
Can you expand on that a little?[/quote]
Soft treble and prominent upper mids mainly. The sort of sound that takes the brittleness off a jazz bass and makes the bridge pickup sound fatter.

Great review. I'm really tempted to get one of these but have worried about volume levels given the small size.

I'm currently using a 300w Ashdown combo which is loud enough for most of the small to medium pubs and clubs we play, but weighs a ton. From what you guys are saying, the Markbass will be more than loud enough, but half the weight of the Ashdown (and arguably a better sound too). Looks like the credit card is about to take a hit again......

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='simon1964' post='89385' date='Nov 16 2007, 01:45 PM']Great review. I'm really tempted to get one of these but have worried about volume levels given the small size.

I'm currently using a 300w Ashdown combo which is loud enough for most of the small to medium pubs and clubs we play, but weighs a ton. From what you guys are saying, the Markbass will be more than loud enough, but half the weight of the Ashdown (and arguably a better sound too). Looks like the credit card is about to take a hit again......[/quote]

Well if you do buy one, find your best internet price then call
[url="http://www.guitar-mania.com/"]http://www.guitar-mania.com/[/url]
they will match it, if they have one in stock.

I did that for my LMK.
Very good price and no worries about it coming from Europe .. guitar-mania is a real shop as well as online and on ebay.

[quote name='OldGit' post='89438' date='Nov 16 2007, 02:52 PM']Well if you do buy one, find your best internet price then call
[url="http://www.guitar-mania.com/"]http://www.guitar-mania.com/[/url]
they will match it, if they have one in stock.

I did that for my LMK.
Very good price and no worries about it coming from Europe .. guitar-mania is a real shop as well as online and on ebay.[/quote]

thanks for the heads up OG

[quote name='simon1964' post='89487' date='Nov 16 2007, 04:22 PM']thanks for the heads up OG[/quote]

You are welcome. There's a few other bricks and mortar retailers around who match net prices so it's worth doing the googling for best prices and then asking them ...

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='89322' date='Nov 16 2007, 12:04 PM']Soft treble and prominent upper mids mainly. The sort of sound that takes the brittleness off a jazz bass and makes the bridge pickup sound fatter.[/quote]

I agree with this, but I quite like it - their upper range heads are a bit flatter and the high frequencies seem way more open - the little mark head is pretty compressed sounding but I still think it works fantastically well live :)

I'm looking at getting either a 121 or 102 combo to use with my std 102h cabinet

• 1 year later...

Hi All,
I am having a bass amp dilemma. I am in a YES Tribute Band called APOSTLE. I have narrowed down my search for a bass amp to Markbass or Trace Elliot. I also use Roland PK5-A midi bass pedals. Marbass only has 1 amp head with 2 channels. It's 500 watts. I need that Chris Squire sound and power. Also, if I get a single input, single channel amp head, I would need to buy a rackmount line mixer and plug the mixer into that amp head and the bass guitar and Roland pedals into the mixer....that would at least give me separate controls for each instrument......but the amp still has 1 input. The Markbass equipment is lightweight, which is a major plus. Trace Elliot has lots of bells and whistles and is not lightweight. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Musically, Bobby

Hi Bobby, I'd go for the MarkBass every time. I can't attest to the new Peavey owned Trace equipment, but I had a lot of the older pre-buyout stuff. The Trace combos/cabs are backbeakingly heavy as you've already noted, but they are pretty well bulletproof. Rigidly mounted speakers can be prone to distort too, especially if you're pushing a powerful preamp through them.

The MarkBass stuff has been a revelation to me over the past couple of years. I've been running mine exclusively for two years & wouldn't change it for anything. Each speaker is mounted in it's own little shock absorber so there's never any distortion or cabinet rattle. The power is clean and unfussed. And the weight [or lack of] is the best bit. I can pick both my 15h combo & 2x10h cab at the same time and make one trip to the car. No sweat, no fuss.

Rich.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In the end I went for the 121h. We tried it against my friends rig in his shop ,he has a 121p with 121h extension cab .first we tried it against the 121p using the wedge ,there was no comparison the 121h was so mutch louder .Infact the 121h was just as loud as the 121p with the 121h extension cab.we also tried the 121h combo with the 121h extension & we couldn,t really tell that it made any difference ,you could see that using the extra cab the drivers were not being driven that hard .For me I like to see the drivers moving ,it gives me a feeling that I,m getting my moneys worth . The wedge makes a big difference & for me I have found the right rig at under 40 lbs